PDA

View Full Version : If you don't like Gnome 3, you're gonna' hate this (Windows 8)

murderslastcrow
June 2nd, 2011, 05:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p92QfWOw88I

And yes, this is the desktop interface, not just for tablets. I see a lot of good things here, actually, although I'd expect to see it from something like MeeGo. Now I know what Steve Ballmer meant when he said Windows 8 is going to be one of the riskiest releases of Windows.

Ironic that we go from shiny glassy blurs back to blocks of flat colors. I'm really interested to see how this develops, since they're basing applications on web technologies, now. But yeah, if you think Gnome 3 is drastic, just... take a step back and look at this. XD

screaminj3sus
June 2nd, 2011, 06:03 AM
There's one part of the video where it shows the windows 7 style desktop is clearly still fully intact. (when they show ms office)

And its known windows 8 will have a "twin" UI. One more optimised for tablets and the normal desktop UI. And from this video is also seems these two UI's can operate together pretty seamlessly.

I thought that video was quite interesting. it looks extremely intuitive for touch devices.

LarsKongo
June 2nd, 2011, 06:04 AM
There seems to be a classic interface underneath all that. When he opened Office I saw it. So I guess they've just made some overlaying interface to make it more touch friendly.

Bandit
June 2nd, 2011, 06:15 AM
I like Gnome 3, I dont like Win8. Reason being I hate tiles and cant stand windows phones with that mess either. It seems interesting, but its really looks like a pain to get were your wanting to go unless you designed the mess.

There seems to be a classic interface underneath all that. When he opened Office I saw it. So I guess they've just made some overlaying interface to make it more touch friendly.
From what I understand that is part of the Legacy system side for older programs. But all your newer ones will become that tile mess.

akand074
June 2nd, 2011, 06:30 AM
This is very very interesting. I like the direction they are going. Still looks incomplete but definitely intriguing. Good for Microsoft they needed to make a change. If they have a good stable final product, I may even use this over Ubuntu on my HP touchsmart laptop. I mean, I don't use my laptop very often, just occasionally in class or go into my Windows for school related Windows tasks so it might be okay. But with Microsoft's track record I'll likely stick with Ubuntu, maybe with a more complete Gnome-shell.

murderslastcrow
June 2nd, 2011, 06:34 AM
Yeah, from what I understood you mostly use the classic interface for applications that don't operate well full-screen. I never intended to say that the old interface was entirely gone, just that this is what they're pushing for new applications.

And from what he says in the video, it seems they intend for applications to be written with web technology, for the most part. Maybe not the heavy duty multimedia programs from Adobe and Autodesk, but I don't see why most other applications can't run well full-screen like this. Might be weird for games, though, although I'm sure there'll be a workaround.

I kinda' like the idea of obscuring unnecessary things and providing lots of good information at a glance (like in KDE 4). I like how they're pushing simplicity so hard, since it could really make it easier for people to accept a new standard for computer interfaces.

Also, if the applications are written with web technology, I'm sure it would be extremely easy to port to Linux and OS X, as well (and Mango/Windows Phone for that matter).

I'm actually pretty excited for it. I hope they include improvements to the way they manage software and the file system they use, too. This could be another good chance, as Windows 7 was, to make some big changes and move away from the traditional Windows everyone hates and reinvent it into something people don't have to be ashamed to use.

I think it would be great for everyone if they could pull this off and get people interested in more efficient ways of interaction. And hey, it's almost like they're going the way of the tiled window manager. XD And it would be really easy to make a similar interface for Linux, obviously, so we could have some healthy competition there, too. I'm just interested to see where this goes. It might make everyone hate Microsoft, or love them like they did with Windows 95. Or it'll just make things all sorts of crazy. I'm glad they're actually trying to change things and move on from their shadow a little bit. At least, I hope they do.

vehemoth
June 2nd, 2011, 06:54 AM
I thought gnome3 was good, unity was okay but this is just horrible. Hopefully there will be enough keyboard interaction so that it's still usable, that's why I liked gnome 3 but not in fedora. These sorts of systems fall down if the user can't see what they're doing, like half the config options missing or the gnome panel (and whatever it's called on windows).

But then again that's just my opinion, and from what I saw it didn't have close to the functionality of a tiling windows manager.

JDShu
June 2nd, 2011, 07:31 AM
Oh wow, this looks very impressive so far. The main thing I dislike is the classic interface that's still there. I hope that file management and everything can be moved to their new interface. Its a bit like how nautilus is really out of place in Shell and Unity. Still, it looks like Microsoft is pulling itself together for the emerging tablet market.

Dustin2128
June 2nd, 2011, 07:44 AM
I thought gnome3 was good, unity was okay but this is just horrible. Hopefully there will be enough keyboard interaction so that it's still usable, that's why I liked gnome 3 but not in fedora. These sorts of systems fall down if the user can't see what they're doing, like half the config options missing or the gnome panel (and whatever it's called on windows).

But then again that's just my opinion, and from what I saw it didn't have close to the functionality of a tiling windows manager.
This.

el_koraco
June 2nd, 2011, 09:16 AM
So, another intuitive interface.

tx0105
June 2nd, 2011, 09:32 AM
These sort of UI designs are the future. Crazy how close that home screen looks to the Windows 7 Mobile stuff I've seen. Looks neat to me.

I think this shows how much of an impact smartphone/tablet UI's have had.

LowSky
June 2nd, 2011, 09:35 AM
It looks like Windows Media Center is the new UI with a twist of windows phone 7 and the old start bar under it all.

I can't wait to see OS/XI.. iPhone meets desktop.

To be fair all us nerds are going to have fun running old school environments and not techie users will look at us like we are running text consoles. Wait 5 years and they will be more amazed that we can do "that" with a mouse and keyboard.

Shibblet
June 2nd, 2011, 09:52 AM
You know, most people who buy computers are only purchasing a computer to do very simple tasks.

I do computer repairs, and I see these powerhouse computers, and people only use them to surf the web, get their email, share photos, listen to music, watch videos, and use office. This is a prime location for Ubuntu, instead of Windows.

My point is... The new interface that Windows 8 is bringing is exactly what most people use their computer for. That interface is going to appeal to people. Especially people who are new to computers.

This is evolution. Remember when you got your first PC? And it had DOS on it? No one wanted to use it, because DOS was complicated. Command prompt? What's that all about... Then Windows came out, and all of a sudden people wanted a computer. Point and click was great. Now, it's evolved to the point of "touch". And they did the right thing leaving in their standard UI underneath.

tx0105
June 2nd, 2011, 10:08 AM
You know, most people who buy computers are only purchasing a computer to do very simple tasks.

I do computer repairs, and I see these powerhouse computers, and people only use them to surf the web, get their email, share photos, listen to music, watch videos, and use office. This is a prime location for Ubuntu, instead of Windows.

My point is... The new interface that Windows 8 is bringing is exactly what most people use their computer for. That interface is going to appeal to people. Especially people who are new to computers.

This is evolution. Remember when you got your first PC? And it had DOS on it? No one wanted to use it, because DOS was complicated. Command prompt? What's that all about... Then Windows came out, and all of a sudden people wanted a computer. Point and click was great. Now, it's evolved to the point of "touch". And they did the right thing leaving in their standard UI underneath.

You are spot on. I'm in back in college for a 2nd degree (new career path) and I had to take a basic information systems class. It was basically Intro to MS Office and other general computing tasks. We have a group test we took over general items, and it's amazing how little most people know about their computers. Half my class didn't even know between MS Office or MS Windows which one was operating system. These same people spend hours on their Windows 7 or OS X laptops on Facebook and such. There's nothing wrong with that, but at the same time it makes sense for companies like Microsoft to promote more user friendly experiences and things that are more pleasing to the eye. Most people could care less about anything more.

I'mGeorge
June 2nd, 2011, 10:18 AM
I don't know what's with all these peachy graphics for desktops I can see lately, they are just awful. Your desktop is far more stilish and good looking if you just keep it simple at a practical level. Even if you have a good computer all these graphics can be really confusing.

danbuter
June 2nd, 2011, 10:21 AM
I'll be sticking with Win7.

alexfish
June 2nd, 2011, 10:33 AM
Looks good as a desktop . hope the OS does it justice ,(I Doubt,yawn)

jhonan
June 2nd, 2011, 10:59 AM
I don't know what's with all these peachy graphics for desktops I can see lately, they are just awful. Your desktop is far more stilish and good looking if you just keep it simple at a practical level. Even if you have a good computer all these graphics can be really confusing.
The 'desktop' is dead.

That large space that takes up 95% of your screen space when you boot up. The space that people either fill up with a wallpaper, or use as a dumping ground for random shortcuts and files. Totally pointless.

MS, Google, and Apple all have the right idea - Use that space for something useful. When the user boots up the device, the next thing they want to do is *do* something. Not sit there admiring their wallpaper.

I think it's fantastic, a move back to the principles of good UI design. Affordance and other basic concepts of HCI have finally arrived.

Bandit
June 2nd, 2011, 11:05 AM

I agree, I just dont like tiles.. lol

Legendary_Bibo
June 2nd, 2011, 11:13 AM
I'm not going to lie. I actually like it, and I think it would work great with a mouse/kb.

murderslastcrow
June 2nd, 2011, 11:21 AM
Yeah, our tiling window managers have a lot of similar functionality, and I don't think ti would be at all difficult to adapt their designs to a DE on our side (at least the good things about the design). The only really difficult part would be creating tiles rather than icons that have a lot of contextual information.

The reason I'm excited for this is that Microsoft is embracing web technologies as a platform for application development. This could mean various things, including moving beyond the current security model they have (which they've held onto largely for the sake of compatibility), beyond the architecture issues they have, and they may even make it easier to port Windows applications to other platforms since they're written in portable technology. This could be a really good thing for everyone involved, and if they do it well enough, it could provide a new beginning, sort of like what OS X did for Mac OS.

And hey, if all the Windows users out there are using a tiling window manager, they have no right to call us geeky anymore, lmao. I think if you see beyond the interface and look at what possibilities this could create for Microsoft to reinvent itself as a company, it could really be a turn for the best.

YesWeCan
June 2nd, 2011, 12:13 PM
Interesting. Here we are at the touch-screen revolution. Microsoft have always been pretty good at ease of use. They are still very good at it and this video seems to show that. This looks innovative. Microsoft are skilled a presenting a good façade.

el_koraco
June 2nd, 2011, 12:31 PM
they really need to hire steve jobs or someone to do the first official presentation, this guy is so boring it's incredible.

BrokenKingpin
June 2nd, 2011, 02:24 PM
Looks like crap, so hopefully it is optional. I am forced to still use Windows for work occasionally :(

Merk42
June 2nd, 2011, 02:33 PM
I'm pleasantly surprised that the people in this thread so far have actually watched the video to decide their opinion and haven't simply gone "RAWR M$ BAD!"

I do see how this interface caters to people doing simple tasks, however those same people (and frankly a people in general) are often resistant to change...

Legendary_Bibo
June 2nd, 2011, 02:36 PM
I'm pleasantly surprised that the people in this thread so far have actually watched the video to decide their opinion and haven't simply gone "RAWR M$ BAD!"

I do see how this interface caters to people doing simple tasks, however those same people (and frankly a people in general) are often resistant to change...

Right, they watched the video then said it was bad almost as if they formed their opinions before watching the video.

It seems like a great UI for people who use their computers as a toy, but I hope they're not stuck with IE 10, and Mozilla/Google/Opera/whoever else makes a version that fits with the tiling thing.

RiceMonster
June 2nd, 2011, 02:36 PM
The touch screen stuff is kind of cool. I'm glad they kept the "traditional" UI though, because I don't think I'd want to work with the stuff they're demonstrating on a mouse/keyboard. They said it works well, but I'm not sure. Well I shouldn't knock it till I try it, obviously. There's probably a lot more things they're working on as well, so I'm looking forward to hearing about those as well.

cap10Ibraim
June 2nd, 2011, 02:46 PM
Great job by Microsoft .
I'll wait till late 2012 or early 2013 to buy a touch capable pc !
make the chrome notebook look like **** :D and they challenged them selves way beyond apple limitations !
WOW !!!

Grenage
June 2nd, 2011, 02:55 PM
It looks good, but you can only tell so much from a promotional video. I'll most likely be buying a copy; I don't personally believe there's been a bad version of Windows since Me.

cap10Ibraim
June 2nd, 2011, 02:57 PM
and why the OP is comparing it to Gnome3 :confused:
Gnome3 looks like a joke compared to Windows8 interface

Legendary_Bibo
June 2nd, 2011, 03:01 PM
Gnome3 looks like a joke compared to Windows8 interface

Gnome 3 and Unity look like something you can achieve by re theming Gnome2.

3Miro
June 2nd, 2011, 03:20 PM
I think I finally figured out what the whole problem is.

The Desktop computer with mouse + keyboard interface has been around for decades. All environments have more or less figured out the correct interface: multiple windows, panels and applets. Gnome 2, KDE, XFCE, LXDE, Windows 95 - 7, OSX give you more or less the same. The only question is effects + customizations vs speed, under Linux you have the different steps:

Extremely fast, but low customizations LXDE -> XFCE -> Gnome 2 -> Gnome 2 + Compiz -> KDE the most customizable, but overall slower. You pick what works best for you.

I guess Windows 7 only has the Aero on/off effects, but windows has never been known for being easy to customize.

The new interfaces, like Unity, Gnome-shell and apparently Windows 8 are designed for touch-screen on tablets and phones. This is a bad interface for a Desktop. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Do the repairs and maintenance of the code under-the-hood (like Gnome-panel is doing), but there is no reason to make an overall change of the Desktop interface.

All OS should start providing two interfaces: Desktop and Touch-screen (like Ubuntu used to have desktop and netbook).

Gnome-shell and Unity should keep the classic mode (whether by default or via the software center). Also, under Linux we have the other DE.

Windows should keep the classic Windows 7 mode as an alternative in the new Windows 8.

madjr
June 2nd, 2011, 03:59 PM
if i add the meego UI and also the old ubuntu UI into the distro, then i have the competition for windows 8....

i think KDE can do something similar already (the netbook/tablet UI and the traditional kde UI). And knowing KDE, they might also built a "tile ui" soon ....

anyway i think unity, with their LENS thing is similar to this tiles (in part better and in part worse). I want to see how unity matures.

But it will be interesting to see what we come up in the linux world. Lots of creative people here.

And btw, this new windows 8 will try to beat android in its own game on the tablet market, but i think they are too late for that..

FoundmyTux
June 2nd, 2011, 04:06 PM
I saw all that purple background and for a second I thought I was watching Microsoft's first commercial for Ubuntu.

Bart_D
June 2nd, 2011, 04:15 PM
It looks like it is for tablets only.

For the home desktop user, assuming they have a touch screen monitor that they don't mind physically handling and LIKELY damaging FREQUENTLY, the virtual keyboard "may" be ok.

But, how would one get serious work done, in an office environment, on something like that? It's too distracting!

They need to keep the touch screen aspect just for portable devices (touch-compatible pads). It does NOT belong on a desktop.

PS: Gnome3 and Unity aer not distracting and will only get better with time. They ARE designed for the desktop with tablets in mind. I see no problems with either of them.

akand074
June 2nd, 2011, 04:32 PM
It looks like it is for tablets only.

For the home desktop user, assuming they have a touch screen monitor that they don't mind physically handling and LIKELY damaging FREQUENTLY, the virtual keyboard "may" be ok.

But, how would one get serious work done, in an office environment, on something like that? It's too distracting!

They need to keep the touch screen aspect just for portable devices (touch-compatible pads). It does NOT belong on a desktop.

PS: Gnome3 and Unity aer not distracting and will only get better with time. They ARE designed for the desktop with tablets in mind. I see no problems with either of them.

I agree, seems more like a "consumer" OS. Though, I imagine they'd make a Windows 8 Business edition or something, where the main UI is tailored to a business environment perhaps? This is pre-beta, we'll find out as it develops.

forrestcupp
June 2nd, 2011, 04:36 PM
I like it. I'm glad they're finally doing something different than the task bar/start menu/task tray look that they've had since Windows 95.

But then again, I have liked the fact that Gnome 3 with GnomeShell changed things up since they were first being talked about.

Canis familiaris
June 2nd, 2011, 05:40 PM
So they are using Web technologies? Apps to be built using Web Technologies? Wouldn't that mean an "open" ecosystem?

kabloink
June 2nd, 2011, 05:48 PM
I just don't get it. It appears to make things more complex than the old interface.

KiwiNZ
June 2nd, 2011, 07:55 PM
It looks very promising. Of course it will change a lot before it goes gold. I like it so far.

forrestcupp
June 2nd, 2011, 08:00 PM
So they are using Web technologies? Apps to be built using Web Technologies? Wouldn't that mean an "open" ecosystem?

Not all web technologies are open. Just look at how iOS and Android work. You're not going to see MS setting it up so that all of their apps are written in html5 where everyone can see all the code.

Copper Bezel
June 2nd, 2011, 08:29 PM
It's clever, and it makes sense that this would be lighter-weight than the old environment.

Among other things, it's taking the cue from tablets to treat the device as the app instead of as a workspace for apps. I personally rather like my wasted space - I don't care for the Compiz Grid and such, and I like to think of apps as individual tools I can lay out on that workspace (or spaces, in Linux.) Past the bright colors, that's a really lifeless looing UI.

At the same time, both the tiling and the tiles are appropriate choices, and I can see why they went this route. It's making very productive use of pixels, which doesn't seem inherently a bad thing for industrial applications, and between the widgety tiles and the left-edge-flicking "Alt+Tab" in place of a task bar, it's neat that applications don't have to be "represented" as anything (and I personally use Scale and the Ring Switcher in Compiz for the same reason.)

But they're going to have to round those damned corners, or WebOS is going to make them look bad - and your printer really shouldn't have a prettier OS than your computer. = P

PhilGil
June 2nd, 2011, 08:32 PM
Credit where credit is due.. the new W8 UI is stunning.

That being said, I'll reserve judgment on intuitiveness, efficiency and usability until I actually try it. I suspect that W8, like Unity and Gnome-Shell, is going to shine on a touch screen but feel clumsy and inefficient on a traditional interface (screen, mouse and keyboard).

Jackslaps
June 2nd, 2011, 08:32 PM
I personally love the whole Metro UI look; it's exactly what I wish to customize my Gnome Desktop to be like (with transparencies as well), but it's near impossible for me.

Rasa1111
June 2nd, 2011, 08:38 PM
Doesn't seem too bad.
Not something I'd want to use daily, but surprisingly decent looking so far.
I still would never pay the hundred$ they'll be asking for it.
Wouldn't even give them $50 for it.
But still, looks rather promising, i guess.

Copper Bezel
June 2nd, 2011, 08:41 PM
Credit where credit is due.. The new W8 UI is stunning.
In what way? It looks like WebOS or Blackberry OS with a couple of bits from Windows Phone 7. It looks just short of gorgeous and there's a lot of potential there, but I don't think it approaches stunning, which would really require doing something, you know, new.

KiwiNZ
June 2nd, 2011, 08:48 PM
In what way? It looks like WebOS or Blackberry OS with a couple of bits from Windows Phone 7. It looks just short of gorgeous and there's a lot of potential there, but I don't think it approaches stunning, which would really require doing something, you know, new.

Something new in an OS!!!

People don't want that, look at the outcry when Canonical puts something new in Ubuntu :rolleyes:

ade234uk
June 2nd, 2011, 08:53 PM
Got to say as much I hate Microsoft that looks good, I wish Unity had turned out this way.

Why can't unity run a normal looking desktop with a small tab on the left that slides across the whole screen and turns the computer in to a mobile touch screen like they have for Windows 8.

Now that would completely blow everyone away. Everyone is happy then. I do really appreciate all the hard work that has gone in to Unity, but I just feel they have missed something by not providing a regular desktop for users.

PhilGil
June 2nd, 2011, 08:54 PM
Maybe a bit of hyperbole there, but it's quite nice. It certainly doesn't look much like the Blackberry OS I've used (unless it's changed a lot in the last couple of years). Most of my smart phone/tablet experience is with iOS, and I like the look of the W8 UI better. I've spent very little time with Android devices and I've never seen an WP7 device in the wild, so it's pretty novel to me.

murderslastcrow
June 2nd, 2011, 09:15 PM
and why the OP is comparing it to Gnome3

My response is a bit late, but the comparison I was making was sheerly on the 'newness' or originality, or should I say the length of the departure from the traditional interface each environment provides. Ie. Gnome 3 is a fairly large departure from the traditional desktop UI, and from this video it would seem the default UI in Windows 8 will be even further a departure.

I didn't mean to say that they are somehow the same type of UI, while I guess if you argue for touch oriented features that may be true.

I really want Microsoft to kick Steve out and say, "hey, we've been bad people, but we're gonna' stop doing that so we can make some money and some friends." I've been wanting for them to prove they can be part of the community ever since they contributed that (admittedly self-serving) hypervisor code a while back.

If they can be an honest member of the open source community while continuing their own commercial product and improving the application management, security, and other components of the OS, that's better than what they've been doing, simply putting a new theme on an old product with less than monumental improvements over time.

I think the more competitive Windows is with Linux and OS X, the better for everyone. Then we can actually say, "yeah, Windows is pretty good now. And so is Linux." Hopefully we won't see as many people promoting Linux as 'not as bad as Windows' anymore, since that's not very helpful.

P.S. Of course, this could be wishful thinking- all they may change is the interface and a few applications. But I'd rather encourage them than discourage them from doing something that could be good for everyone.

Copper Bezel
June 2nd, 2011, 09:23 PM
Maybe a bit of hyperbole there, but it's quite nice. It certainly doesn't look much like the Blackberry OS I've used (unless it's changed a lot in the last couple of years). Most of my smart phone/tablet experience is with iOS, and I like the look of the W8 UI better. I've spent very little time with Android devices and I've never seen an WP7 device in the wild, so it's pretty novel to me.

Fair enough. The window switching is similar to Blackberry's and a little more distantly to WebOS's, but I obviously haven't seen a tablet-style OS use a tiling window management style, and the application tiles are, after all, Microsoft's own idea.

Something new in an OS!!!

People don't want that, look at the outcry when Canonical puts something new in Ubuntu
I guess I'm just being picky about word choice. After all, this is a bigger departure even than Unity and Gnome 3.

earthpigg
June 2nd, 2011, 09:24 PM
The great thing about a PC is that you can run two apps at once...

Because it's a PC, it has a filesystem....

mmmk.

KiwiNZ
June 2nd, 2011, 09:25 PM
My response is a bit late, but the comparison I was making was sheerly on the 'newness' or originality, or should I say the length of the departure from the traditional interface each environment provides. Ie. Gnome 3 is a fairly large departure from the traditional desktop UI, and from this video it would seem the default UI in Windows 8 will be even further a departure.

I didn't mean to say that they are somehow the same type of UI, while I guess if you argue for touch oriented features that may be true.

I really want Microsoft to kick Steve out and say, "hey, we've been bad people, but we're gonna' stop doing that so we can make some money and some friends." I've been wanting for them to prove they can be part of the community ever since they contributed that (admittedly self-serving) hypervisor code a while back.

If they can be an honest member of the open source community while continuing their own commercial product and improving the application management, security, and other components of the OS, that's better than what they've been doing, simply putting a new theme on an old product with less than monumental improvements over time.

I think the more competitive Windows is with Linux and OS X, the better for everyone. Then we can actually say, "yeah, Windows is pretty good now. And so is Linux." Hopefully we won't see as many people promoting Linux as 'not as bad as Windows' anymore, since that's not very helpful.

P.S. Of course, this could be wishful thinking- all they may change is the interface and a few applications. But I'd rather encourage them than discourage them from doing something that could be good for everyone.

Why would MS want to fire Steve Balmer, under his stewardship their profits are rising

http://www.microsoft.com/investor/EarningsAndFinancials/Earnings/PressReleaseAndWebcast/FY11/Q3/default.aspx

Copper Bezel
June 2nd, 2011, 09:29 PM
mmmk.

He means those things in contrast to an iPad. Direct access to file management and multitasking weren't available on the first iPad at launch, and they're either taking advantage of the bad press or, more charitably, pointing out that they don't have the scary limitations less knowledgeable viewers might expect of a system with such an interface.

KiwiNZ
June 2nd, 2011, 09:36 PM
If that is the final look, (remember Windows Vista and 7's development UI changed a lot by release time) will look great on big screens.

PC_load_letter
June 2nd, 2011, 09:46 PM
I have to say it's visually appealing, stunning really. I hope that it stays so smooth and snappy on older (dual core) computers. I'd like to see how keyboard-friendly will this be.

I totally agree the the traditional desktop concept has to change, but I'm not totally sure that the all-touch screen craze in UI is a good replacement either. Let's see.

PC_load_letter
June 2nd, 2011, 09:49 PM
Why would MS want to fire Steve Balmer, under his stewardship their profits are rising

http://www.microsoft.com/investor/EarningsAndFinancials/Earnings/PressReleaseAndWebcast/FY11/Q3/default.aspx

Well, the profits might be rising but may be not high enough. MS is now valued below Apple, and recently even below IBM.

irv
June 2nd, 2011, 09:56 PM
Here is the real Windows 8:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IklxKia9E9I&feature=related

forrestcupp
June 2nd, 2011, 10:03 PM
Doesn't seem too bad.
Not something I'd want to use daily, but surprisingly decent looking so far.
I still would never pay the hundred$ they'll be asking for it.
Wouldn't even give them $50 for it.
But still, looks rather promising, i guess.Me too. I'm not going to go out and pay a bunch of money for it, but I would be happy to use it if it came on a new computer purchase.

I totally agree the the traditional desktop concept has to change, but I'm not totally sure that the all-touch screen craze in UI is a good replacement either. Let's see.
From what I've heard, devs will be able to program their apps with touch screen in mind, and the OS will be able to translate that into a way that makes sense to mouse and keyboard if needed. They're claiming that it will be a good all-around experience.

KiwiNZ
June 2nd, 2011, 10:10 PM
Well, the profits might be rising but may be not high enough. MS is now valued below Apple, and recently even below IBM.

Share market valuation is something different. MS shares tend to be more volatile and they have done share splits. Apple and IBM need to consider this should they wish to recapitalize.

spupy
June 2nd, 2011, 10:11 PM
Two thing:
1. Swiping looks cools, but how will it work with a mouse?
2. To do any serious work you will need to switch to classic windows interface.

I can totally see Linux users crying "But they copied tiling WMs!" :D

Brent0
June 2nd, 2011, 10:27 PM
It looks good as a tablet (or another touch device) OS but for desktops, the standard interface looks MUCH more intuitive. I think it's very pretty though. :)

disabledaccount
June 2nd, 2011, 10:30 PM

http://www.microsoft.com/investor/EarningsAndFinancials/Earnings/PressReleaseAndWebcast/FY11/Q3/default.aspxInteresting - it seems that MS has worse result than Apple:
http://www.itedge.net/blog/2011/05/01/apples-and-microsofts-financial-results-released-for-q1-of-cy2011/ -> http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/04/20results.html

so... marketing in financial reports is very important for both companies (saying gently)

KiwiNZ
June 2nd, 2011, 10:35 PM
Interesting - it seems that MS has worse result than Apple:
http://www.itedge.net/blog/2011/05/01/apples-and-microsofts-financial-results-released-for-q1-of-cy2011/ -> http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/04/20results.html

so... marketing in financial reports is very important for both companies (saying gently)

That is not due to MS performing badly but Apple doing very well. If you do an analysis of both Corporate's quarterly returns both are delivery very good percentage growth.

Bandit
June 2nd, 2011, 11:24 PM
Windows8 looks like a joke compared to GNOME3 interface
** FIXED ** :lolflag:

ki4jgt
June 2nd, 2011, 11:25 PM
I like this :-)

BigCityCat
June 2nd, 2011, 11:26 PM
It looks really good but I wouldn't be doing any banking on it.

Ken UK
June 2nd, 2011, 11:55 PM
The general UI of gnome 3 looks like a full screen/children's version of Unity. It might be fine for simple users but not for anything too serious.

I applaud Microsoft for coming up with an idea themselves (as far as I know) for once instead of copying others or buying out ideas. The only thing is I don't fancy turning my computer into a big Windows phone.

Windows 8 might be ok for casual average users but for anyone doing something serious it looks like a waste of time so far. I don't want fancy interfaces, I want to be able to switch and move about quickly and see whats going on all at once. As for touch, well its nice and all but again not for serious users, my profession is Civil Engineering and if I ended up producing drawings or using design software with this interface and especially with touch I would feel like a baby and I know I wouldn't be working efficiently, it would just be a gimmick.

Lets just hope it pushes Ubuntu abit more.

Superkoop
June 3rd, 2011, 12:25 AM
I actually really like the way this is looking, I hope they allow for lots of customization though, because I can see myself enjoying this a lot.
I was just thinking the other day that a UI similar to Windows Media Center would be nice for a complete DE, so this looks promising. I'm a fan of getting away from a Desktop with a wallpaper and a place to keep files, and lots of ugly shortcuts, and moving to something where you actually have everything right there ready to go. The majority of people use a computer for simple internet, music, and video usage, with a little bit of document work here and there. So going with something that gives you everything you need right on login is ideal.
Also, I see no reason why this wouldn't work for doing office stuff, it seems easy enough to get to a word processor and go for it.
The tiling windows looks good, because I would use a tiling WM but I just don't find them very attractive right now; this implementation looks like something I would appreciate.

Of course for most home users this would be best suited for a desktop with mouse and keyboard, tablets are nice, but they aren't very practical for typing in my experiences. However, I feel like we'll be doing away with the actual big box and move to much more of a tablet. (Similar to a laptop, without the whole flip top, just a screen, keyboard, and mouse.)Because most people don't need more than a gig or two of ram just so they can do their browsing needs, and there is no need for a quad core either. It's just as silly and wasteful as everyone buying massive vehicles to drive around when they don't need that much room or power to do what they need. There will still be traditional powerful computers, but I'm hoping fewer people actually buy them as they don't need them, and they stick with something that actually suits their needs.

Sometimes it frustrates me that technology builds upon the old stuff, and keeps building upon that same stuff that was used back then simply because that's the best we could do at the time. Our technologies have advanced a long ways, it's time to trash the old stilted stuff and start moving onto something that is more designed for the person, and not designed based on what we could 15 years ago. So many things in our world are still based upon designs that we came up with because it was the best we could do at that time, and now we continue with that tradition. People keep saying there is no reason to reinvent the wheel, it works... yeah, but just because something works doesn't mean there isn't a better way of doing it! Perhaps rather than reinvent the wheel, we should invent something better than a wheel...

*steps down from soap box*

smellyman
June 3rd, 2011, 12:28 AM
fugly....I do not want a bunch of floating tile icons all over my desktop.

desktorp
June 3rd, 2011, 12:39 AM
So Windows 9 or 10 will basically be LCARS, right?
(I'm ready!)

el_koraco
June 3rd, 2011, 12:44 AM
All the touch interfaces will only have value when the way of interacting witht he internet changes. It means little that you can get to Facebook in two clicks less, if Facebook is still based on clicking and typing.

forrestcupp
June 3rd, 2011, 01:26 AM
Two thing:
1. Swiping looks cools, but how will it work with a mouse?
It would be pretty easy to swipe just by clicking, dragging, and flicking it over. I didn't see anything at all in that video that required multitouch, which would be hard to do with a mouse.

3Miro
June 3rd, 2011, 02:29 AM
It would be pretty easy to swipe just by clicking, dragging, and flicking it over. I didn't see anything at all in that video that required multitouch, which would be hard to do with a mouse.

Regardless of how accurate you are with a mouse, a finger is more accurate. Also, on a phone screen, you have a swipe of a finger, on the mouse you have movement of the wrist and probably the elbow. Keep doing this and depending on your mouse and desk size relative to your height, this can be quite a nuisance.

On a large computer screen, it is best to have small icons and just point and click with one movement.

forrestcupp
June 3rd, 2011, 02:44 AM
Regardless of how accurate you are with a mouse, a finger is more accurate. Also, on a phone screen, you have a swipe of a finger, on the mouse you have movement of the wrist and probably the elbow. Keep doing this and depending on your mouse and desk size relative to your height, this can be quite a nuisance.

On a large computer screen, it is best to have small icons and just point and click with one movement.

It wouldn't be any harder than clicking and dragging already is right now. I can barely move my wrist and get the mouse pointer from one side of the screen to the other, no matter how big the screen is.

And a finger may be more accurate, but a mouse is much more precise.

KiwiNZ
June 3rd, 2011, 03:09 AM
Hopefully gestures on my Apple Magic Mouse will work with it

Macskeeball
June 3rd, 2011, 04:42 AM
Apple Magic Mouse

*cringe*

I like multitouch on my MacBook Pro's trackpad, but on a mouse? Horrible ergonomics.

sites
June 6th, 2011, 06:12 PM
a finger is more accurate

Correct! I gave the finger to both of those desktops. :popcorn:

Bart_D
June 6th, 2011, 07:04 PM
I have changed my mind about Windows 8. Just like I changed my mind about Gnome 3.

Initially, I said that Gnome 3 was too distracting. I was wrong. If you spend a day or so learning it, you will realise that it is not too distracting at all. It is just right.

I imagine that the same will be true for Windows 8. I criticized it, claiming it would not work in an office environment.....actually, it would work....in fallback mode(or whatever they call it).

Windows will set the bar very very high with Windows 8. Let's just see if Linux can catch up.

nec207
June 6th, 2011, 08:26 PM
I don't think we will know too much what windows 8 will look like to it is about to come out.It is so top secret.

I don't think it will look too much different than windows 7 may be more touchscreen friendly.

Legendary_Bibo
June 6th, 2011, 10:39 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why we don't have the cool Alt+Tab switching in Windows 7 anymore.

forrestcupp
June 6th, 2011, 10:43 PM
I don't think we will know too much what windows 8 will look like to it is about to come out.It is so top secret.

I don't think it will look too much different than windows 7 may be more touchscreen friendly.They've already released an official video showing what it's going to be like.

I'm still trying to figure out why we don't have the cool Alt+Tab switching in Windows 7 anymore.The funny thing is, I never even noticed that until I just read your post. I always hated that feature in Vista, and I never used it.

RiceMonster
June 6th, 2011, 10:44 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why we don't have the cool Alt+Tab switching in Windows 7 anymore.

Windows + Tab

not gone.

Legendary_Bibo
June 6th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Windows + Tab

not gone.

OMG! I love you RM!

forrestcupp
June 6th, 2011, 10:55 PM
Windows + Tab

not gone.

Ha, ha. I don't know what I was thinking. I use Alt+Tab all the time. Oh well. I guess they decided to keep a useless feature.

PC_load_letter
June 7th, 2011, 12:12 AM
Share market valuation is something different. MS shares tend to be more volatile and they have done share splits. Apple and IBM need to consider this should they wish to recapitalize.

I wasn't talking about the shares, there could be a billion shares, that are $0.01 each, yeah you're right. But I think what I was referring to (I'm no expert in economics) is the net worth. Apple surpassing MS was I think something I heard last year, the IBM surpassing it was a recent story I read at slash dot, here:
http://www.businessinsider.com/once-it-seemed-impossible-ibm-is-now-worth-more-than-microsoft-2011-5

timZZ
June 7th, 2011, 01:24 AM
I haven't used Windows for a long time now.

This looks exciting I would rather see companies trying to really create something new.

This is a generic comment but what I mean is right now all O/S follow roughly the same principal in terms of user interface.

There has to be a million and one better designs.

nec207
June 19th, 2011, 03:52 AM
Hear is what I found on windows 8.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/presskits/windows7/videoGallery.aspx

It is coming from Microsoft the video of what it will look like.

nec207
June 27th, 2011, 12:17 AM
What is your thought on this new windows 8?

wolfen69
June 27th, 2011, 01:06 AM
"If you don't like Gnome 3, you're gonna' hate this (Windows 8 )"

Um, I happen to like gnome 3, and I'm going to hate W8. So there!!!

nec207
June 27th, 2011, 01:44 AM
Some one post some screenshots?

Macskeeball
June 27th, 2011, 03:04 AM
Some one post some screenshots?

The first post in this thread links to the video demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p92QfWOw88I

nec207
June 27th, 2011, 05:02 AM
Windows 8 seems to have 2 GUI's !! A modified windows 7 GUI with a ribbon interface and a touch phone interface , as you can see in the youtube video switching from one GUI to other GUI .

But no one knows what it will be like as I'm sure it going to get a coat of paint as it is too plain looking.

I was hoping it would be more catching like this. But I do not think windows 8 will be splashing like this but may be plain looking.

http://windows8themes.org/pics/Windows-8-concept-screenshot2.jpg

http://www.crunchgear.com/wp-content/photos/7.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3182/2551860219_e22b1fbd0d_o.png

http://i31.servimg.com/u/f31/15/41/40/91/7-14-216.jpg

Macskeeball
June 27th, 2011, 07:10 AM
Windows 8 seems to have 2 GUI's !! A modified windows 7 GUI with a ribbon interface and a touch phone interface , as you can see in the youtube video switching from one GUI to other GUI .

Have you not read any of the posts before yours in this thread? You keep telling us about the very things this thread has been discussing from the beginning.

But no one knows what it will be like as I'm sure it going to get a coat of paint as it is too plain looking.
I doubt it. The touch UI is based on the Metro UI found in Windows Phone 7 and the Zune HD before that. It's pretty clear that Microsoft is attempting to unify the interfaces more across their different OSes. Also, according to Paul Thurrott, Steven Sinofsky (http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/exec/ssinofsky/) is known for keeping products under wraps until it's certain that they will ship and be as presented.

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/screens-celebrating-microsofts-cohesive-user-experience-strategy-136391

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-8-preview-analysis-public-unveiling-136340

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/Windows8/windows-8-sinofsky-d9-transcribed-part-2-demo-139575

Copper Bezel
June 27th, 2011, 07:41 AM
I don't get why the old UI isn't getting a bit of spit and polish, though. It looks terribly out of place. Of course that's been said before here, by me for that matter. The Superbar could at least be flat gray to match the thumb panel.

wolfen69
June 27th, 2011, 08:06 AM

I was hoping it would be more catching like this. But I do not think windows 8 will be splashing like this but may be plain looking.

http://windows8themes.org/pics/Windows-8-concept-screenshot2.jpg

http://www.crunchgear.com/wp-content/photos/7.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3182/2551860219_e22b1fbd0d_o.png

http://i31.servimg.com/u/f31/15/41/40/91/7-14-216.jpg

Meh

Zerocool Djx
June 27th, 2011, 08:06 AM
Lol, fast forward to 2:17 you'll see what the world thinks of it..

If you advance to 6:18 you'll see it has a traditional desktop as well..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBHujE6DdrA&feature=related

3rdalbum
June 27th, 2011, 11:35 AM
The flat colours are SO horrible and ugly. I honestly can't see why people would use Windows Phone 7 with such an unattractive home screen; surely the benefits of the platform are negated by the very-human desire for symmetry and beauty.

johnnybelfast
June 27th, 2011, 11:36 AM
I dont hate, I learn to adapt. Everyone has different opinions, but the negative voices always seem to be the loudest. It's always been that way in computing. Nine times out of ten the kicking and screaming would only have held back progress. People don't like change and often it takes guts to force something through.

Copper Bezel
June 27th, 2011, 12:24 PM
I don't see how Windows 8 is any flatter than the average web page, including this one. Desktop environments tend to be pseudo-3D, but I don't think there's an innate advantage to that, and there are plenty of very attractive GTK themes out there that abandon it entirely.

Curved edges, on the other hand, are sorely lacking, and I'd consider those innately superior. = )

Lucradia
June 27th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Unlike Gnome 3 though; you don't have to install anything to go back to the classic desktop.

Sylos
June 27th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Watched the video - didnt like the look of it. Not really a fan of the whole poking my monitor thing so dont see it as being useful (outside of the tablet area where it is necesary). I also do think it looks kinda flat and ugly. Others have already covered that area of discussion though. I prefer my LXDE - fast and to the point. I also dont see my desktop as a wasted space - its my table on which to put the varying tools and items I am working with.

To be honest this whole thing just makes me feel old. I must be getting on a bit - the music these kids listen to today just seems like uncompelling noise, the UI's are full of tiles and fancy motions that appear to serve little function, the clubs are too loud.......

nec207
June 27th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Lol, fast forward to 2:17 you'll see what the world thinks of it..

If you advance to 6:18 you'll see it has a traditional desktop as well..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBHujE6DdrA&feature=related

so if people want it more splashing looking than why is Mcrosoft not doing it than ?

Lucradia
June 27th, 2011, 07:03 PM
To be honest this whole thing just makes me feel old.

*pats* I still use the Windows 95 / 98 Theme when gaming / recording on-screen video; as Aero takes a ton of performance.

My new processor, however, should blaze through the desktop recorder camstudio, just as it did with the Core 2 Duo 3.1 GHz in comparison to my old 2.6 GHz AMD Processor.

Bart_D
June 27th, 2011, 07:46 PM
The more I see Windows 8, the more I can't stand it!

Why would they include that silly touch screen interface when underneath it is basic Windows! WHY!!! It feels very unsynchronized. If you don't want me to EVER go back to the old interface, just REMOVE IT COMPLETELY! If you don't want me to give up the Windows that I know and love, then remove that touch screen toy!

Such a joke.

nec207
June 27th, 2011, 08:04 PM
The more I see Windows 8, the more I can't stand it!

Why would they include that silly touch screen interface when underneath it is basic Windows! WHY!!! It feels very unsynchronized. If you don't want me to EVER go back to the old interface, just REMOVE IT COMPLETELY! If you don't want me to give up the Windows that I know and love, then remove that touch screen toy!

Such a joke.

The Iphone or Ipad has a more splashing interface than this by a long shot .Come on Microsoft.

hit hit Microsoft yes apple hires art students with OS X and ios 5.

That why apple software is more splahing and bit girly .

That why Macbook running Snow leopard is more splahing and bit girly

http://www.flickr.com/photos/phoz0ne/5867720268/sizes/l/in/photostream/

nec207
June 27th, 2011, 08:07 PM
*pats* I still use the Windows 95 / 98 Theme when gaming / recording on-screen video; as Aero takes a ton of performance.

My new processor, however, should blaze through the desktop recorder camstudio, just as it did with the Core 2 Duo 3.1 GHz in comparison to my old 2.6 GHz AMD Processor.

That is what I thought Microsoft GUI is too business like looking where apple GUI is more splashing and for young and some Linux GUI more game like splahing.

Copper Bezel
June 27th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Why wouldn't the interface be girly? It's a well worn tradition that male owners tend to give inanimate objects feminine names, and most PC enthusiasts are still male....

nec207
June 27th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Why wouldn't the interface be girly? It's a well worn tradition that male owners tend to give inanimate objects feminine names, and most PC enthusiasts are still male....

sorry what do you mean?

Copper Bezel
June 27th, 2011, 09:16 PM
I don't know. A manly computer just doesn't make any sense to me. I mean, I suppose that you could see that in a pickup truck or something, maybe. A computer? I just think of a computer as inherently non-masculine, so if it's going to be personified at all, I'd think of it as automatically feminine. Sort of in the way that you might assume that the little person on the pedestrian crossing sign is male.

Lucradia
June 27th, 2011, 09:52 PM
I don't know. A manly computer just doesn't make any sense to me. I mean, I suppose that you could see that in a pickup truck or something, maybe. A computer? I just think of a computer as inherently non-masculine, so if it's going to be personified at all, I'd think of it as automatically feminine. Sort of in the way that you might assume that the little person on the pedestrian crossing sign is male.

This is why almost all -tans are female. (Norton is a male tan because he has a male name :V)

nec207
June 28th, 2011, 08:00 AM
This is why almost all -tans are female. (Norton is a male tan because he has a male name :V)

I hardly think that black computer tower or the gaming coputer towers are girly like.

Anyways I'm just pointing out I thought windows 8 would be more splashing like and less business like the GUI.

lmsg2011
June 28th, 2011, 08:40 AM
I wouldn't like to use the Windows tiles all the time. If it does have a twin UI and you can switch back and forth then it may not be too bad. I can see why for some end users, the tiles would be an advantage. It's nice that they allow you to go back to the Win7 or 'classic' UI in order to carry out day to day tasks.

If it was soley a tiles UI then I would avoid it like the plague. I played with the new windows 7 mobile and hated the tiles.

Zerocool Djx
June 28th, 2011, 08:57 AM
so if people want it more splashing looking than why is Mcrosoft not doing it than ?

Apparently you missed the part when they showed the stock price of MS in the video at like -250ish. it took a dive cause of this steaming pile, lol.

I won't upgrade to win 8, I just won't...

nec207
June 28th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Apparently you missed the part when they showed the stock price of MS in the video at like -250ish. it took a dive cause of this steaming pile, lol.

I won't upgrade to win 8, I just won't...

Can you elaborate on that.

Macskeeball
June 28th, 2011, 10:27 AM
I played with the new windows 7 mobile and hated the tiles.

Why's that? I'm curious. Also, what do you prefer?

The name is actually Windows Phone 7.

Metallion
June 28th, 2011, 11:20 AM
There's one part of the video where it shows the windows 7 style desktop is clearly still fully intact. (when they show ms office)

And its known windows 8 will have a "twin" UI. One more optimised for tablets and the normal desktop UI. And from this video is also seems these two UI's can operate together pretty seamlessly.

I thought that video was quite interesting. it looks extremely intuitive for touch devices.

This

Legendary_Bibo
June 28th, 2011, 12:00 PM
I hardly think that black computer tower or the gaming coputer towers are girly like.

Anyways I'm just pointing out I thought windows 8 would be more splashing like and less business like the GUI.

I have read several of your comments on this thread and you keep saying you want Windows 8 to be more splashing like. WTF does that mean?!!

Would you care to elaborate?