PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] trouble installing ubuntu

red40y
June 2nd, 2011, 01:20 AM
ok, I recently installed ubuntu on my crappy Toshiba, but im having problems installing it on my dell inspiron.
I posted in the dell support section and they were less than help full. I have always had good luck in the installation forum =)

i created 2 different live cds the first time i tyred to install it wouldn't read the cd at all, so i re downloaded and made a new cd. now when i choose to install it wants to go super slow, im attempting to quit the install till i figure this out. (hasnt started yet, just thepreparing to install ubuntu screen.)

i have
dell inspiron m5010 (64bit sys)
amd phenom(tm)IIn850 tripple-core 2.20ghz
ati mobility radeon hd 4250

zipperback
June 2nd, 2011, 01:26 AM
When you boot the live cd, select the option to check the disc for errors.

Also, when buring the iso, burn it at the slowest speed possible.

- zipperback
:popcorn:

red40y
June 2nd, 2011, 01:34 AM
its booting the live cd super slow. i have a 10.04 cd i tried before and it wouldn't boot at all. is this a problem with hardware? now, the screen is black but i have use of the mouse, i cansee the pointer and moves freely with ought lag. any thought?

correction, its not booting at all. not 10.04, or 11.04 =( i just tried both.
now, how would i go about making this work... anyone out there want to help out a poor soul lol

linuxinstalledfromhdd
June 2nd, 2011, 02:47 AM
Try creating a Live USB Flash Stick of Ubuntu.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

Try installing it from the Live Stick by Booting from the USB device instead. Much faster too.

red40y
June 2nd, 2011, 04:04 AM
ill give it a shot, post back in a bit=)

well, i cant find a card big enough... only a small 496mb. ill give it a go in the morning when i can find a 8gb card i got in the mess of a office i have lol

linuxinstalledfromhdd
June 2nd, 2011, 04:24 AM
Also if I can make a really quick suggestion. Try doing it with Ubuntu 10.10.

And here's a really nice guide to get everything up and going very quickly for you too:

http://cinderbox.net/2010/12/23/to-do-list-after-installing-ubuntu-10-10-aka-maverick-meerkat/

Let me know if you get stuck or need anything.

Goodluck

red40y
June 2nd, 2011, 05:41 PM
ill give 10.10 a shot, but if 10.04, and 11.04 wouldnt run right... would this be any diff? ill let you know what goes it.

update
10.10 was a nogo... =( i did happen to do a wubi install a little back, but it ran super slow tho and i wound up dumping it. can we work the bugsout and get this running? if you have the time that is=)

Quackers
June 2nd, 2011, 05:52 PM
Just a pointer for you. If you've already downloaded the iso's you just need to check their md5sum. If that checks out ok you don't have to re-download them. You may need to burn the image again though :-)

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

red40y
June 10th, 2011, 10:21 PM
ok, i tied 10.10, and a usb stick. i was successful in installing using wubi, but again it ran like win95( super super slow) and i dont want wubi. i was thinking on trying ubuntu studio as a dual boot so is there any suggestions?

red40y
June 11th, 2011, 01:18 AM
ok i got ubuntu studio to install, but its super slow as i stated. any thoughts? please help!!

(theres no one out there with any knowledge that can help a new user out? i am desperate.)