PDA

View Full Version : What field do you enter for this?

kevin11951
June 1st, 2011, 11:34 PM
What field do you enter to be the guy who manages the super computers at LHC, CERN, etc... (science labs)?

Chronon
June 2nd, 2011, 12:43 AM
Probably physics. At least the cluster computers I know of that run at physics departments are run by physicists.

PhillyPhil
June 2nd, 2011, 03:43 AM
The admin for the computers? Computer Science. (I am yet to meet a physicist with as much computer knowledge as a computer scientist, no insult intended)
Otherwise, physics.

mmsmc
June 2nd, 2011, 04:03 AM
there is no "feild" per se, go into any field related in physics, physical engineering, anything in that area. and hope for the best. and you dont usually get that kind of job just starting out, AND people with cool jobs like this one have connections

krapp
June 2nd, 2011, 04:08 AM
there is no "feild" per se, go into any field related in physics, physical engineering, anything in that area. and hope for the best. and you dont usually get that kind of job just starting out, AND people with cool jobs like this one have connections

You'd need great connections in academia methinks. A PhD wouldn't hurt either. Or an uncle who is a senator or a high-ranking official within the EU.

But I know very little about the IT and CS fields or Physics for that matter, so don't take my word for it.

mmsmc
June 2nd, 2011, 04:17 AM
thats true to, just connections, or just and education wont get you anywhere, you need both

I think a great way to get in with these guys is by interning with a company close to them, or if your lucky with them

PhillyPhil
June 2nd, 2011, 04:17 AM
You'd need great connections in academia methinks. A PhD wouldn't hurt either. Or an uncle who is a senator or a high-ranking official within the EU.

But I know very little about the IT and CS fields or Physics for that matter, so don't take my word for it.
Do you think the current sys admins are related to EU officials? I think it's extremely unlikely :D

thats true to, just connections, or just and education wont get you anywhere, you need both

I think a great way to get in with these guys is by interning with a company close to them, or if your lucky with them
I suspect you'll find that personal connections count for very little at CERN. It is the pinnacle of physics research, and knowledge and education would be placed above all other attributes.

Bandit
June 2nd, 2011, 04:21 AM
What field do you enter to be the guy who manages the super computers at LHC, CERN, etc... (science labs)?

Prob dual degree. Id say a BS of Science in computers and a PHD in Physics.

PhillyPhil
June 2nd, 2011, 04:25 AM
Prob dual degree. Id say a BS of Science in computers and a PHD in Physics.

Haha! I wouldn't trust my cell phone to the average person with a CS bachelors (and I have a CS bachelors!) We are talking about running the computers there right? If a dual degree is needed, I'd say more likely a PhD in CS, and a Bachelor of Physics.

krapp
June 2nd, 2011, 04:33 AM
Do you think the current sys admins are related to EU officials? I think it's extremely unlikely :grin:

I suspect you'll find that personal connections count for very little at CERN. It is the pinnacle of physics research, and knowledge and education would be placed above all other attributes.

It was sort of a joke, but I just wanted to emphasize the point about making connections with the right people. Unfortunately, this is as big in academia as it is in the corporate world. In order to make the connections you have to be smart I suppose, as this is what endears you to like-minded individuals in your field and without, but connections are crucial for promotion, job-placement, etc.