PDA

View Full Version : A big thank-you to the Ubuntu team

dleh
May 16th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Hi,

I just wanted to say thank-you to everyone involved in the development of Ubuntu for resurecting my love of Linux.

I've been an active user of various Linux distros since about 1994, and in fact by 1996 I had ditched Windows altogether. But about a year or so ago I'd got so fed up with the bloatware that these distros had become (most recently SuSE) that even web browsing on my admitedly ancient Pii/350 machine had become unbearably slow. It took around 10 minutes to power up and log in for goodness sake! Then what with the fact that these distros just seemed to have taken all the fun out of administering an installation, with their fancy graphical configuration tools and the like I finally ditched the old box and bought into Apple instead.

Now I have to say that I have no regrets where the Mac is concerned, but recently when clearing out my garage I stumbled across the old machine and just couldn't bring myself to throw it out. So I looked for an excuse to use it and decided to set it up in the garage to maintain a catalogue of my wine. I looked around for a new Linux distro, and came across Ubuntu. Well I have to say I was very impressed. It ran much faster than any of the previous recent distros I'd had (maybe down to using gnome rather than kde?), plus it just seems to have injected some much needed fun back into administering. In fact I liked it so much I even spent about GBP10 on ebay on some more RAM and a CPU (Piii/600 wahoo!) and for what I'm using it for it really flies. Using the hibernate functionality I can boot it in around 20 seconds!

So once again thanks very much for an excellent product. Even though the wife has hated me being stuck in the garage for the past couple of weeks I've really enjoyed it!

Keep up the good work,

David.