PDA

View Full Version : X-Files

lovinglinux
June 1st, 2011, 08:37 PM
I am currently watching season 2, but the DVD rental service sent me the first X-Files movie today, which was at the bottom of my list. I was saving it for after season 5. I have already watched the movie a long time ago and don't really remember the plot, so I was wondering if I watch it now will spoil the main series arch or if it doesn't matter much?

forrestcupp
June 1st, 2011, 09:47 PM
I could be wrong, but if I remember correctly, it doesn't have much to do with the show's main story arch. It seems like it wasn't really even worth watching at all. I loved the show, but didn't like the movie much. Duchovney was much better in Evolution.

doas777
June 1st, 2011, 09:52 PM
DO NOT WATCH THE MOVIE YET. it is core plot, and tightly intertwined with the plot both before and after.
I believe the movie falls between the 5th and 6th seasons (yep, confirmed by IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106179/episodes#year-1998)).

I too am currently re-perusing the XFiles (and am about the same place). good stuff.

Cheers!

doas777
June 1st, 2011, 09:52 PM
I could be wrong, but if I remember correctly, it doesn't have much to do with the show's main story arch. It seems like it wasn't really even worth watching at all. I loved the show, but didn't like the movie much. Duchovney was much better in Evolution.
I agree of movie 2. the first movie (Fight the Future) was the shiz though.

lovinglinux
June 1st, 2011, 09:54 PM

Thanks. I don't recall liking the movie very much either, but I want to watch the whole thing this time.

forrestcupp
June 1st, 2011, 10:02 PM
DO NOT WATCH THE MOVIE YET. it is core plot, and tightly intertwined with the plot both before and after.

Wow. I guess I was wrong. It's a good thing doas posted before you watched it.

lovinglinux
June 1st, 2011, 10:04 PM
DO NOT WATCH THE MOVIE YET. it is core plot.
I believe the movie falls between the 5th and 6th seasons.

Thanks.

I too am currently re-perusing the XFiles (and am about the same place). good stuff.

Cheers!

I am watching DVD number 6 now. I think season 2 is better than season 1 so far, but there a few boring episodes, specially the standalone ones that are totally disconnected from the main story arch. For instance I just watched one about a possessed child. I prefer ET stuff. I liked the one about the missing Navy ship tho.

lovinglinux
June 1st, 2011, 10:09 PM

Indeed. But thanks for the effort anyway.

doas777
June 1st, 2011, 10:49 PM
ok, ok, perhaps teh caps were excessive... mea culpa ;)
at least it wasn't in bold/red.

@LovinLinux,
I hope you enjoy the show!

lovinglinux
June 1st, 2011, 10:55 PM
ok, ok, perhaps teh caps were excessive... mea culpa ;)
at least it wasn't in bold/red.

@LovinLinux,
I hope you enjoy the show!

Thanks.

gnomeuser
June 1st, 2011, 10:57 PM
watch the show in the intended sequence to enjoy the movie. I bought every season on DVD the moment they came out, I loved the show growing up.

If you like The X-Files, try looking at Twin Peaks. Get a version with the intended pilot episode though and not the "TV movie" version which aired in the US.

lovinglinux
June 1st, 2011, 11:12 PM
watch the show in the intended sequence to enjoy the movie. I bought every season on DVD the moment they came out, I loved the show growing up.

If you like The X-Files, try looking at Twin Peaks. Get a version with the intended pilot episode though and not the "TV movie" version which aired in the US.

I remember Twin Peaks generated a huge buzz but then died shortly. I just confirmed the DVDs are available to rent, but does it even end properly or with a cliffhanger?

oldos2er
June 2nd, 2011, 01:59 AM
Thanks. I don't recall liking the movie very much either, but I want to watch the whole thing this time.

The first movie is far better than the second.

hhh
June 2nd, 2011, 02:22 AM
I don't see how you can compare Twin Peaks with X-Files at all. X-Files is about unexplained phenomena -edit- and a possible government conspiracy to cover up the existence of aliens /edit. Twin Peaks the series was about trying to solve the brutal murder of a high school girl and the duality of seemingly normal small town folk and their seedy actual personalities and fetishes. The series does end properly AFAIK, a letter campaign successfully let them finish it after a haitus. I never got into the series.

The Twin Peaks prequel movie, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, is a seriously, seriously disturbing movie. I'll leave it at that as the subject matter is not suitable for this forum, but it is, though flawed in places, a powerful movie of which I am a fan.

CharlesA
June 2nd, 2011, 03:56 AM
I think I am on the end of Season 4 of the X-Files, but I can't be sure since it's been so long since I've watched them.

Waiting until the end of season 5 to watch the first movie too.

c-1000
June 2nd, 2011, 03:59 AM
just watched all of the x-files last fall/winter...lot of fun, didnt watch the movie, though.

yeah, the show doesnt really "lock on" to the whole et thing until season 3/4...i think the writers/producers were still in the process of finding out what the show was really going to be about.
also a lot of fun the first season or so, watching mulder and scully figuring out their characters, and the uber-awkward romantic tension between them.
i particularly like the contrast between the first season, which was basically two nerds rambling around the countryside in a beat-up "k" car, and later seasons featuring the small armada of sleek black suvs and two smooth, confident federales.

shows dont develop organically like this (much) anymore...theyre polished, focus-grouped, and finely crafted from their first moment on air...to push the brand/franchise.

my latest guilty pleasure is magnum p.i. -- cant explain it, something about it keeps me coming back. great show.

Warpnow
June 2nd, 2011, 05:29 AM
Yeah, wait to watch the movie. Its HEAVILY intertwined with the episodes before/after it. I wouldn't worry as much about spoilers as about not understanding it in the slightest.