PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Ubuntu you should read this!!!

carpenter
March 2nd, 2005, 06:59 PM
Serbia 2005 for Mr. Ubuntu!
I must write this!!!

I don’t know is this the good adress for what I am going to write but hopefully it would be usefull... maybe I am wrong!
First of all I am end user of PC “”. Why! Well I learned to do everything „from my Head“ until my head didn’t almost exploded from ideas! YES IDEAS! Long story short. In serbian language my name Slobodan means „man who is free“ and I Fell and do thing like a free man.
Freedom in any meaning of that word is my life moto! Yes the freedom has it’s price and in my case it was very expensive! Economicly,mentaly (spiritualy) in my country that could cost my life in last 15 years. But what this things have to do with Linux. They do!
It started with RedHat 6.2 I heard about thing called Linux.I acquired installation CD and then the hell on earth begun!!!
If you are in your heart free man like I am then idea of free open source system must be great thing for you. Then comunity, forums, good advices that was all the dream for me until it becomes my worsest nightmare! WHY? ! Because my thougts that I am now writing haunted me for years and I should say way before because it would be easier for me. Because I see Linux comunity open for critics and recomondations let’s see what I have to say...
Insert installation CD and what now BUNCH of words that you don’t even understand, strange commands that looks like egyptian hieroglifs... Ops Windows is wiped out. What now? Again installation, Internet>Forum>manual and again the same ! Then I don’t have sound.Why?!Because KERNEL doesn’t support this and that?! You have to do it manualy (lovely Jobly)...what??!!!. I give up. Mandrake 8.0 , SuSe , Lindows , Licorys (easy to use) Yoper , Libranet , Xandros everything I could acquire I tried and what...Tragedy!!! Why? Let us see why.
I am carpenter some say very good but not classic one. Problem solved would be the better name of what I do.Yeah...I forgot in my younger days I was DJ.Real audio-freek. 2/3 of my life I spent in using State of the Art devices and I was never satisfied. One amplifier didn’t have this other one that and so on.Basicly none of them isn’t complet (good enough). Who am I to critisiez what the world greatest AUDIO magazines marked as NO.1? Let’s see... While I was DJ problems were that soundspeakers aren’t powerfull enough amplifiers didn’t have suficient power.... And I start to swim in a see of things that don’t have anything encomon with my job or economic standing.Why? We ll I can’t live with that that things are unchangable. Well gues what they are!!! If somebody thinks that this has nothing to do with Linux he is wrong VERY VERY WRONG. Money isn’t everything in life I proved that several time so I would again. KNOWLEDGE. What is knowledge...That is bunch of informations that man uses in his life or not. In one hand all knowledge of the world makes it how it’s like today. What kind of world is this? Bad Bad Bad!! Why? All that knowledge is using to make man live harder and harder, not easier. Nuclear bombs, all kind of weapons for opening gates of hell!
Knowledge + Abuse + Autorithy = 1000000000 hungry, sick dieing people day by day. Isn’t that hell?.Why are we the spiecies that uses knowledge to destroy everything arround?
Knowledge + cinism + authority + power=disease No.1 thing which systematically destroy everything including us and planet which is our home. I am convinced that this is some kind of magic circle that has no exit until self-destruction or new beginning…Maya, Chinese empire, Roman Empire…
The place from were I am coming has give to the world greatest minds. Like NIKOLA TESLA,… You know that thing we use everyday electricity, electromotor, wireless, electric power transmition…, there. A man who was one of the biggest minds of the modern world. Visionary who saw so far into the future that in nowadays people still can’t imagine what did he had in his head .He had greatest idea on earth!!! Free energy for all, wireless transportation of electricity on any point of face of the earth!!!He died alone in hotel room that he couldn’t afford!!! Why!!!?
Money+ power+ selfishness = cancer, cancer who is literally consuming this planet to the end!!!
Knowledge+money+unselfisness+Linux+UBUNTU=HOPE. Hope dies last that’s what people say in my country that’s what I say too! But hope for what? One peace of puzzle witch maybe highlighted the rest of as who care for our children in all world!
Programming + LINUX possible solution!
I don’t wanna “invent HOT WATER” I just want that pieces of puzzle finally come together
Somewhere at the beginning I said that somebody has this somebody that but none of them has the real thing. Why?!
In my country people say:”He doesn’t see the forest because of one tree” today that is LINUX but not necessarily! Programmers who makes distro and send it also for free of charge Impossible,-Possible=UBUNTU is it the right thing to do (by my opinion not) WHY? There is no real idea what Linux should be or what is LINUX Today!
LINUX is court (baseball) where everybody is trying to hit the ball so hard that nobody else could catch it! Linux is made by people with awesome programming knowledge and I deeply admire them but they are kind of reminding me on body builder who is training so hard to show the world how great formed muscles he has. But this thing are doing rare fanatics, but guess what I’ll give u whole gym for free and you try to have muscles like I do!!! And then few guys with endless patients start learning “endless possibility etc/usr/bin/”etc. Those guys not even sleep enough and honestly hate “W$BILL”! JUSTIFIED? I don’t think so either! WHY!!!?
Wheel was “invented” by someone who was great thinker. Great. Everything started to spin better and faster. But wheel is used in many ways ( I hope many of you understand what am I trying to say).
21 century era of the digital world and Linux isn’t ready for that. Whole bunch of PDA, IRDA, Bluetooth, Wireless and all kinds of gadgets are not enough supported by Linux. Looks like we have W$Bill with his genial invention! At the end ,all of us will be the slaves of one man! I hope not! Linux programmers must cooperate and find the solution for free world!
UBUNTU+NEW IDEAS=LINUX HTPC
Concept by Carpenter (Linux HTPC)

for people who don’t have enough time or knowledge for administrate his FREE OS! In my Life I have a loot oscilations ”up and down” and I capis what kind of man I was. I’m happy when people around me are happy, and I think that is the gift helping others in everyday life! People are crospasing in my life and everything is fine unless MONEY mess up everything! Yes that damn thing which man invented for manipulating everyone and everything! But money isn’t everything in my life (good friends are worth all money in this world).My country for the last 15 years is a dangerous place for living and few times I almost lost my head! Politics messed our lives and we start living in a world of corruption, wardogs, and enormous inflacion. Those days we lived in hell named Survival and everything was possible! Friend’s and music is almost everything what we had! Yes in1999 NATO was bombing may country 78 days but we were living in hope! After those days corruption and money bring the W$ OS in my country and I think that was a joke but no it isn’t! In country where almost everything is destroyed with bombs, our guverment is make a deal ($) with W$Bill! UNBELLIVABLE
Okay I’m not enough smart for Linux but I try to give a chance to younger generation and some people who are dealing with computers professionally. I give them every Linux distribution which I have and after couple of day’s I ask for opinion! You know what, everybody is laughin me with comment: Comon man who have so much time to learn everything from beginning ,and almost everything serious setups are in console! Not a nice felling believe me. After thousand’s hours reading ENGLISH tutorials of how to setup sound, bttv, cable modem (MOTOROLA) graphic card etc, I was a beginer in Linux and that wasn’t thing for being proud at! But I don’t give up at least not yet, because every day I was on web and reading Distrowatch, Mad penguin, OS news so many nice reviews of new “EASE OF USE DESKTOP LINUX” that is the NO1,better than the others, easy for setup etc. And know what anyone of them is not complete OS! WHY!!!!!!!
That remembers me on the early 80 when I was DJ, problem with not enough power of AMP or not enough efficient loudspeaker… Changing the equipment is all what I’m doing because nothing is complete! And 20years after that destiny is changing my life!
My good friend give me the propose with symbolic name “The beast you ever heard of” Because I’m a audio freak and that was the chance to change everything. One guy with great electronic knowledge and 3 with smaller knowledge in that area but equipped with endless love for good sound maked the impossible –possible! I sold my house and all machines and I went to unknown! In our country nobody believed in this project but we did! After one year of hard work(12-15h per day)we have the finest system for sound reproduction and the same time maybe the coolest look! Amplifiers with endless power, Loudspeakers with enough power consumption, our DAC converter, CD player with our modification, AC filter, our cables (interconnection and loudspeaker)! Yes, and we made the first noiseless torodial transformer. Enclosure is maded in pure aluminium (anoized) with simply but effective look! Project and realization of all components cost us 200000 EUR (One pair of “THE BEST” HIGH END loudspeakers in the market worth that much money) ! Our loudspeakers Same or better quality (Unofficial) were made in 10% of price! For example in that High End world pair of State of the Art cables cost 15000 EUR. For example our Power Amplifier weighted 80Kg and it was “stuffed” with High End component And then started our hell, money is spent and we in trouble because we forgotten the money for advertaising!We were thinking that most important is the quality of devices and what are you hear but that wasn’t enough in $$$$world! Journalists are working for money just like everybody does and write for man who can pay better price! Unofficial we had the best sound but… Not enough money as I mentioned before. We wanted the whole world to knows what we made and share happiness because that beautiful crystal quality sound. That nobody could achieve with budget of x 1000000000 U$ Dollars and with hundreds of employees in engineering! In that difficult times many business proposal were given to us but everything with blackmail price. That was unacceptable for us. Today we don’t have money but we are still THE BEST and we are proud because of that. In the mean time while I was looking for parts for our equipment. Usually I watched sites of the OEM Pc manufactures and noticed price drop/ quantity. In that time 3 years ago I came to an idea for the PC Project. Project wasn’t completed because lack of money… And then guess what MacMini showed gloriously. That was that idea. Same size, but more powerful than Mac Mini. By my opinion Mr. Steve Jobs made an historical mistake in concept, vision of today’s IT market and possibility that Mac OS X becomes No.1 OS!!! Why??? Well only he knows why. But I think because of money. PowerPC architecture is powerful enough, with excellent design, greatest OS by many of the users, and then what cold shower =>PRICE<=!!! If you want to MacMini uses whole potential of the software and MacOs X you should spent another 500 U$ for upgrades (memory, DVD/RW ,Airport, …) If that is the OS X for the masses then something is terribly wrong. Manufacture price of 256MB of DDR memory is 3 bucks but Apple will be very generous and will give it to you for only 75$, 200mhz more for another 100$ etc. MacMini in fully equipped (hardware) is300 $ and one peace of software is missing PVR/DVR (and TV capture card).
Maybe that is the chance for Linux but not without reference hardware which is bring Linux in home(HTPC). Yes home is the solution place because we are living there. Every peace of software that exist and put them together and polish them, with 5 guys in hardware section with smart choice of hardware will make Linux to be the bulletproof combination!
PC which I am using now (min12h per day)is the complete solution for My family. My son is in high school, daughter is in elementary school, wife is working in administrative job, recording TV shows, recipes, formula 1,NBA…….etc.
AMD Barton2500, 512mb, ddr400, Kworld -878 RF(TV capture) FX5200 128mb, 160 GB hard, ATI remote wonder, SONY combo and SONY DVD writer whit 17inch monitor (120W power consumption) power supply 300W! Let’s see, maybe somebody with free time can do the math:
Mac Mini max power consumption = 85 w
17 inch TFT……………………… = 40 w
In my case and I suppose 80% of rest:
PC whit 300-500 w
17 CRT….120 w
Statistics say that last year (2004) is manufactured and sold about 176.000.000 computer, 50% of that number is mobile(laptop etc)and we steal have cc90.000.000 of noisy, big, ugly enclosure power hungry cases! The calculation is so impressive and somebody tell me were are we living. In world of NIKOLA TESLA (REMEMBER)no, we don’t live in that world!
Mister $ used dirty technology because “only the profit is important”okey I’m not saying that you or anybody else could live without money (except Bushman ) but for this price! Our children are paying for our inactivity in that way! Old technology is then moved in poor country and so on in endless world of profit. Ok come back to Linux, we know solution exist broken in parts in 380 project(distribution)and I think that UBUNTU philosophy is the right way! But somebody must explain the programmers that POPULARITY=EASY of USE! Today Linux is everything but not EASE of USE and I don’t understand WHY! So many ideas in Linux world is useless in that chaotic way(1-2%user in all world),and why somebody programs for Million Hours ? For geeks no, they know the “game” and they are making their own version and we have another distribution, PAT! Anybody who play the chess know what I am thinking, watcher is leading position because he is not focused in one thing ”WIN”! Don’t see the forest……………..oooh man its so hard in English thinking and I maybe not expressed may self even 5% of what I tried to say here! Ok back to the solution!
An a few years ago my friend bought satellite receiver with HD (DVR) excellent peace of hardware and guess what it works perfect on Linux platform. Beautiful GUI(ease of use) with enormous compression possibility (codec)With HD 40gb storage 40 hour in very good quality! Normally I thinking that is the solution I have a Linux and I tough that is the peace of cake put all together…..ooooh man poor Me such a loser! For me that is the MISSION IMPOSSIBLE because I try every distribution and after a few year of masochistic way to learn ..etc/this, usr/that…RPM, DEB, Targz, xvfz, binary, source….my conclusion is that is all wrong! Somebody is enjoying now ?. But I think man not should walk through the SAHARA for water except very few that I mentioned before! What Linux geeks is thinking when I’m tell him that “your knowledge is nothing without electric power and you have free of choice to learn everything what NIKOLA TESLA knows and let see WHEN you make the solution in that way! Yes that fraise of “free of choice” is used in every forum when somebody is trying to put some suggestion how Linux be a ease way to use! And that fraise used every politician in our world and well see the our world! Because that way of thinking we must return to W$Bill and something even worst OUR CHILDREN are the slaves CLIK,INSTALL>PLAY and then what learn how to slaughter ,shooting tons of bullets and nobody think about what kind of people they should be! I think that will be the FIGHT for OUR CHILDREN and Linux must be EASY of USE before everything goes to hell! Fight is beginning in early days or somebody tell me if I’m wrong. Now somebody imagine 5 year old kid who is starting to learn Linux in this way of thinking” listen son when KDE is frozen pres the CTRL,ALT,BACKSLASH and everything is going to be fine or even easier go to the X/configuration and change some parameters and that’s all everything be ok. Common guys .OSX has similar way(INSTALL) with W$ but nobody criticized them WHY, because in that OS everything JUST WORKS!!!
Linux try to invent the wheel in a hard way and nobody have a courage to say that.
MENSA have the explanation how man learns and guess what :Lesson with 3 colors in graphic mode is the multiple fastest way to learn >THE END !Console way is for people who know exactly what are they doing, so everybody with freedom in heart please start the colledge of how to use your OS (free of choice) NONSENS! Back to the UBUNTU,I hope that was the beginning of different way to new ,happy Linux user era and if I’m wrong that will be the end of hope . Mr. UBUNTU don’t miss the historical chance or your money will be spent in wrong way and that will be the great lose for FREEDOM in every way! Linux must goes in 7miles steps forward or everything is going to HELL!
Knoppix 3.4 have the perfect graphic solution for setup BTTV,MODEM,…but don’t have a install way (not easy way)!
Xandros is easy to install, but Xandros network(excellent) is problem free if used the their reprosity and nothing else! I never success to install Freevo (PVR/DVR).
PCLinuxOS is great with software and for by my opinion TEXTAR is great programmer but some bug is very irritating (Kworld 878 RF is not correct installed even is listed in CONTROL CENTER and I not have sound).
Flonix (CD Edition) has almost did completed solution but with weak hardware recognizable
And so on ….etc nobody is complete for DIGITAL” world of today”(Supermax performed “World of Today” by the way Great musician).Every distribution have some excellent parts so join them together and polished them and then your mission is going to be Successful (if you honestly want that).
So sorry for my bad English, and anyone who want to say (blame)something about this letter Please do that in follow address……………
“I Want to Break Free” -Queen
PEACE AND FREEDOM FOR EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!
Linux HTPC

The Carpenter®

rapala61
March 2nd, 2005, 07:16 PM
ill try to read it later... really loooong post. but whats the point in a nutshell.

bobmitch
March 2nd, 2005, 08:15 PM
ill try to read it later... really loooong post. but whats the point in a nutshell.

I am Serbian.
I am an average carpenter.
I used to be a fussy DJ.
Linux is hard to use.
Freedom is good.

HTH. ;)

mike998
March 2nd, 2005, 09:09 PM
<grandpa simpson> "And we had onions tied to our belts... which was the style at the time" </grandpa simpson>

carpenter
March 2nd, 2005, 09:34 PM
fell free to write any comments (or anything else) to : thecarpenterbole@hotmail.com 8-)

jwb
March 2nd, 2005, 10:23 PM
Uh.......

Thanks for writing.

Nikola
March 2nd, 2005, 10:32 PM
Well, that's happen when you forgot to take your medicine :-)

Joj kuku lele Bole, skrati post :-)

Jarz Corp
May 3rd, 2005, 12:52 PM
But no don't think about his medicine, I look at it this way.

Whenever I post something over 12 lines I apologize for ranting. Thanks to this "sound" hint hint nugde nugde carpenter, I can rant on for hours and still only produce a post 1/4 the size of his.

This guy makes me feel sooo mentally healthy.

Thank U soo much Carpenter

void_false
May 3rd, 2005, 01:35 PM
Right! Lets join all linux distros together so we get perfect OS!

Stormy Eyes
May 3rd, 2005, 01:40 PM
Right! Lets join all linux distros together so we get perfect OS!

No thanks. Do you really want to put up with RPM hell and Gentoo ricers? :)

void_false
May 3rd, 2005, 01:51 PM
That was a joke. ;-)

N'Jal
May 3rd, 2005, 02:15 PM
Or if you want the PERFECT Linux just LFS, so then YOU will make it perfect and can't blame anyone but yourself

Stormy Eyes
May 3rd, 2005, 02:28 PM
Or if you want the PERFECT Linux just LFS, so then YOU will make it perfect and can't blame anyone but yourself

Exactly. If you want it done your way, you have to do it yourself.

void_false
May 3rd, 2005, 02:52 PM
NVM.
I tried Gentoo and ended with kernel panic. I probably need more knoladge. Although I got fine Grub install that I use till today. :smile:

Eh... Edited post too late. ;)

Stormy Eyes
May 3rd, 2005, 02:55 PM
Sorry for noob question but what LFS is? :---)

Linux From Scratch (http://lfs-matrix.net/lfs/news.html)

paul cooke
May 3rd, 2005, 05:23 PM
NVM.
I tried Gentoo and ended with kernel panic. I probably need more knoladge. Although I got fine Grub install that I use till today. :smile:

Eh... Edited post too late. ;)

with the comprehensive instructions that come with Gentoo these days, you have to be clueless to end up with a dead system... There is nothing 733t about Gentoo these days. Installing it is just a case of following the instructions to the letter, they're that good

Jarz Corp
May 3rd, 2005, 06:49 PM
It is true that Gentoo has come a long way, but it is still a system for tinkers as myself. And even I who can tweak from dusk to dawn, got fed up with recompiling everything because I added one USE parameter.

Jarz Corp
May 3rd, 2005, 06:54 PM
And calling people with different levels of skill a nob is exactly what makes a community stop its development totally. Just like the windows world where knowlegde is power and something U keep to yourself. Which is why when U do a search for a linux solution U get 4 times as many hits as when U do one for Dos XP.

bobmitch
May 3rd, 2005, 11:00 PM
Mate, I don`t know what you are saying (I didn`t read it) - but you have a keyboard, and are not in any way restricted by a numerical input device and/or predictive texting. Learn to use it.

</rant>

void_false
May 4th, 2005, 12:11 AM
with the comprehensive instructions that come with Gentoo these days, you have to be clueless to end up with a dead system... There is nothing 733t about Gentoo these days. Installing it is just a case of following the instructions to the letter, they're that good

Oh c'mon! You follow instructions to the letter until you need to configure kernel and write use_flags. Then you're on your own. Alone in the darkness.

TravisNewman
May 4th, 2005, 02:39 AM
Mate, I don`t know what you are saying (I didn`t read it) - but you have a keyboard, and are not in any way restricted by a numerical input device and/or predictive texting. Learn to use it.

</rant>

You do know that the key with the double quotes (next to enter) is the apostrophe, and not the tic next to the "1" key right?

;)

bobmitch
May 4th, 2005, 07:59 AM
You do know that the key with the double quotes (next to enter) is the apostrophe, and not the tic next to the "1" key right?

;)

:D

You do know that the enter key is on the numpad, and the key next to the double-quotes (not on UK keyboards) is known as 'return'?

<cheeky grin>

emperor
May 4th, 2005, 08:27 AM
What did I learn from "Minsur Car-pen-teer":

"don’t wanna “invent HOT WATER” I just want that pieces of puzzle finally come together."

Hmmmm!

TravisNewman
May 4th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Heh. Well not on mine ;) I have two enter keys, and I'm not in the UK. I've seen them both ways.

Anyway, just joking around with ya, thus the ;)

bobmitch
May 4th, 2005, 06:11 PM
Heh. Well not on mine ;) I have two enter keys, and I'm not in the UK. I've seen them both ways.

Anyway, just joking around with ya, thus the ;)

I see your ;) and raise you a :D

:)