PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Missing power/username/date & time on gnome panel after accidentaly deleting applet

awfullook
June 1st, 2011, 03:07 PM
Hello.

I'm using Natty fairly happily, and I'm a noob. 11.04 is my first experience of Ubuntu and Linux. I WAS happy with Unity but it started doing off things and after some forum crunching decided to try out the classic desktop option and much prefer it.

switching my Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E520 on this afternoon with many problem free boot ups prior to this, I got a message saying that an applet (annoyingly can't remember exactly what it was called) had failed to start or something and did I want to remove it from my configuration? Stupidly I pressed yes without thinking.

So now the top panel in Gnome is missing the power button icon, and the date/time as well as my username. Leaving just the icons for Dropbox, Bluetooth, wireless and the battery. All of these remaining functioning icons work but are smaller than normal.

I have rebooted. Same.

I have attached a screenshot of the top right of my desktop.

Can anyone identify this applet and tell me how to reinstall/reactivate?

Many thanks crew.

http://i.imgur.com/LWC7E.png

awfullook
June 1st, 2011, 03:20 PM
OK. I made an obvious error. That was not to try and put my back into finding the answer before asking others. How lazy of me.

Right click on the panel and click 'add to panel' and there is a whole list of applets that can be displayed in this region. Added back those I needed and all looks as it should. REboot confirms this is stable now.

Word to the Ubuntu forum.