PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu software center - never changes recommendations or new and featured

u-noob-tu
June 1st, 2011, 01:38 PM
i dont think the software centre has given me any new recommendations in a month. nor have the "Whats new" or "featured" sections changed. is this normal? or is my software centre just lagging behind?

Throne777
June 1st, 2011, 06:20 PM
It's been the same pretty much since it first launched as far as I can tell (I check it every couple of weeks, never really notice a change).
It makes the linux community look really stagnant.
To be honest, I think the software centre is, as it stands, a bit of a waste of time. It looks awful, has very little in the way of quality control, is annoying as hell to browse and is less powerful (and has less choice) than Synaptic. So I just use Synaptic.

krapp
June 1st, 2011, 06:23 PM
It's been the same pretty much since it first launched as far as I can tell (I check it every couple of weeks, never really notice a change).
To be honest, I think the software centre is, as it stands, a bit of a waste of time. It looks awful, has very little in the way of quality control, is annoying as hell to browse and is less powerful (and has less choice) than Synaptic. So I just use Synaptic.

I agree on all counts. Why Debian ships it with GNOME live CDs I can't understand either.

u-noob-tu
June 1st, 2011, 07:51 PM

thats disappointing. it could be a killer feature if they just spruced it up a little. and it does seem silly to have synaptic and the software centre, though i can see why synaptic is there (for installing program documentation files and dev packages). yeah, there are some awful apps in there (penguin command freezes my computer every time i launch it), but there can be some real gems as well, and the ratings help people find them. the software centre isnt horrible, but its not great either. thats something for canonical to work on.

jerrrys
June 1st, 2011, 08:07 PM
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SoftwareCenter#How%20you%20can%20help