PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Weird problem with Dell ST220T Touchscreen Monitor

luckymurari
June 1st, 2011, 06:22 AM
I recently got hold of a Dell ST2220T touchscreen monitor. Initially when I installed Natty, multitouch worked out of box. But once I shut down the computer and boot again the touch itself stops working.

Even weird thing is this :

If I go to windows and restart the system (warm boot) to come back to Ubuntu, it works. After that if I restart (warm boot) Ubuntu , the touch works. But when I "shutdown" (cold boot) the computer, and start it again, it stops working. Only when I go back to windows and "restart" the system touch works.

This behaviour has been consistent. I searched the net and found out that when "warm boot" happens there are still some contents left in the memory. SO, I am thinking that the windows driver support is getting it to work in Ubuntu.

But, I am not sure how to solve this. Can anyone help with regards to this please?

luckymurari
June 2nd, 2011, 06:30 AM
Can any one please help with this?

luckymurari
June 6th, 2011, 07:41 AM
No one can help in this?

Copper Bezel
June 6th, 2011, 08:50 AM
It's more likely that Windows is waking up the controller for the touchscreen on the hardware side, allowing Ubuntu to recognize it and load the appropriate driver, to my limited understanding of these things. No part of the Windows driver is going to be in memory, but if there's effectively a hardware switch that turns the touchscreen on, that could persist over a reboot.

I don't have any experience with touchscreens, however. You can find out specifics on whether it's being recognized and where it's connecting using gnome-device-manager (available in the repositories) but I wouldn't know how exactly to "wake it up", likely via a bash command.

luckymurari
June 7th, 2011, 10:46 AM
It's more likely that Windows is waking up the controller for the touchscreen on the hardware side, allowing Ubuntu to recognize it and load the appropriate driver, to my limited understanding of these things. No part of the Windows driver is going to be in memory, but if there's effectively a hardware switch that turns the touchscreen on, that could persist over a reboot.

I don't have any experience with touchscreens, however. You can find out specifics on whether it's being recognized and where it's connecting using gnome-device-manager (available in the repositories) but I wouldn't know how exactly to "wake it up", likely via a bash command.

The device is apparently getting connected. But I have not gone any more forward with this.. ANy more pointers please :(

HughR
October 29th, 2012, 06:22 AM
There's a new thread at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=12181989

wildmanne39
October 29th, 2012, 10:08 AM
Thanks for sharing and please do not post in threads that have not had activity for a year or longer, since this is an old thread it has been closed.