PDA

View Full Version : HOWTO: Totem embeded with mozplugger (At Last!)

Nis
March 2nd, 2005, 06:11 PM
Attached is my mozpluggerrc which can now play embeded movie streams using totem-xine.

Things to know:
- I did this on Hoary so I'm not sure if it will work on Warty (because of the mozplugger version change)
- You need totem-xine and mozplugger (in universe). You'll also need w32codecs if you want to stream anything using a proprietary codec.
- I set up some audio stream capabilities but I haven't tested it yet (I never listen to embeded audio streams). If you can test this, please do and report any success or failure.
- Remove the .txt file extension and place as /etc/mozpluggerrc.
- You'll need to remove ~/.mozilla/firefox/pluginreg.dat for mozplugger to recognize the configuration changes.

Have fun. :)

jdodson
March 2nd, 2005, 06:22 PM
Attached is my mozpluggerrc which can now play embeded movie streams using totem-xine.

Things to know:
- I did this on Hoary so I'm not sure if it will work on Warty (because of the mozplugger version change)
- You need totem-xine and mozplugger (in universe). You'll also need w32codecs if you want to stream anything using a proprietary codec.
- I set up some audio stream capabilities but I haven't tested it yet (I never listen to embeded audio streams). If you can test this, please do and report any success or failure.
- You'll need to remove ~/.mozilla/firefox/pluginreg.dat for mozplugger to recognize the configuration changes.

i think this should go to the howto section. if you have no problems with that.

Nis
March 2nd, 2005, 06:39 PM
No problems at all.

rapala61
March 2nd, 2005, 07:37 PM
wow.. nice job.. if u had post this yesterday u could have saved from a loot of work.. anyway.. thanks a lot.

amoser
March 3rd, 2005, 12:19 AM
You my friend are a freakin genus, I have been trying to do this for weeks, how did you do it?

~Alan

Nis
March 3rd, 2005, 01:30 AM
You my friend are a freakin genus, I have been trying to do this for weeks, how did you do it?

~Alan
I looked at the default mozpluggerrc and picked apart the mozplugger man page. :) Really I was just tired of waiting for the Totem mozilla plugin so I decided to try this route. The big thing was using --toggle-controls flag for Totem; without this the video kept coming out really small. In reality I'm just happy to contribute back to a community that has been really great. :)

amoser
March 3rd, 2005, 01:42 AM
In reality I'm just happy to contribute back to a community that has been really great. :)

The community thanks you back, I have been waiting for something like this for along time. Now GNOME is on the same level as KDE (in this area)

~Alan

madzzoni
March 20th, 2005, 12:43 AM

Things to know:

FINALLY, FINALLY, FINALLY my DELL LapTop plays Video/audio-streaming in Hoary. I just now listen to DK Radio, and it works just like the Mplayerplug-in i use to play it with in Warty!
It's even more cool, because it shows nice effects in the "player address-window" when streaming audio.
A BIG HUG FROM ME!!! My multi-media nightmare is over!!! THANKS for this great Work!!! :D

bored2k
March 20th, 2005, 12:55 AM
Cool.

You will receive a lot of kudos for this ... a lot .

telmo
March 20th, 2005, 01:35 AM
Sweet! I'll give points for this! :-$

bored2k
March 20th, 2005, 02:07 AM
Sweet! I'll give points for this! :-$
telmo don't say it ! its better if he doesn't know where those 2 points came from !

...oh crap I blew my cover .

bored2k
March 20th, 2005, 02:45 AM
Here are one of the sites where I've tested Nis's method:

Video Stream:
Gamespot.com [windows media video]
Apple.com/trailers [quicktime video]

Audio Stream:
RFI.fr [windows media audio]

So it's all good.
If you think its not working, leave it a little bit, sometimes it will grab a big chunk of the media .

budge
March 20th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Hi All, really new to Linux/Ubuntu but having fun learning and so far this is the best distro I've tried. Great support and Forum.

My query is obviously about this mozplugger modification that allows embedded media to play in FireFox. Everything works a treat. The only problem I have now is that Real Player video/sound files when accessed via news items on http://www bbc.co.uk .has sound but no video anymore.

Using Hoary by the way.

Anyone else?

Tried to reinstall RealPlayer using the "How To" guide but still no video, only sound.

Thanks
Paul

snaga
March 20th, 2005, 08:10 PM

This worked great for video, for which you have my thanks. However, for some reason, I have no audio when streaming. Audio in general works, and I can open a movie from within an embedded totem instance and the audio is fine. But, I can't get audio on any movie that I am streaming.

Any thoughts?

dm

bored2k
March 20th, 2005, 08:12 PM
This worked great for video, for which you have my thanks. However, for some reason, I have no audio when streaming. Audio in general works, and I can open a movie from within an embedded totem instance and the audio is fine. But, I can't get audio on any movie that I am streaming.

Any thoughts?

dm
Weird , worked for me .

Nis
March 20th, 2005, 09:50 PM
Concerning no audio, what kind of files are you trying to stream and what files do you play locally? If you don't have the right codecs for Quicktime, for example, you'll get video but no audio.

Hopefully this howto will be rendered obsolete eventually because the Totem developers have begun actively working again on the Totem Mozilla plugin (http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=144937).

snaga
March 21st, 2005, 04:39 AM
Concerning no audio, what kind of files are you trying to stream and what files do you play locally? If you don't have the right codecs for Quicktime, for example, you'll get video but no audio.

I suspect this is it. Hopefully I will have time tomorrow to figure it out. thanks.

dm

dangparker
March 21st, 2005, 09:13 PM
Hi!

Thanks for your great work on this....it's gotten me further down the road to gnome nirvana....

One thing I can't figure out though is how to access sites that check for a particular media player installation (like www.ifilm.com)

It checks my "system configuration" and reports that quicktime and windows media player is not installed (thus no video).

Any idea how to make firefox or mozilla report that these programs are available?

Thanks in advance.

Daniel

occy8
March 23rd, 2005, 06:23 AM

I can't find that file
I'm using Firefox 1.0.1

stupid me worked it out sorry

Michael
March 30th, 2005, 11:54 PM
Oh my god this is simply great! I can even play QuickTime movies!

Thank you thank you thank you :grin:

LongTooth
March 31st, 2005, 04:25 PM
For those of us who are mentally challanged, could someone please put these instructions in a form a moron like me can follow? I've just installed Ubuntu on a test box and I'd like to try this out before I do the same to my main box. Thanks.

Liau
April 1st, 2005, 12:55 AM
Awesome! this worked great :D

Funny thing though, sometimes when I try to open up a windows media stream the image won't show until I pause the stream and restart it. Ah whatever, at least it's working..

bored2k
April 1st, 2005, 12:59 AM
Only *problem* I'm having with this is totem wanting for some reason to play the video with hardly any downloaded data [my xDSL is not as fast as totem wants to stream videos @ times :(] .

Nis
April 1st, 2005, 01:28 AM
Only *problem* I'm having with this is totem wanting for some reason to play the video with hardly any downloaded data [my xDSL is not as fast as totem wants to stream videos @ times :(] .
This is more due to xine than Totem. There's supposed to be a way to increase the number of buffers xine uses but I'm not sure how to do it. This might make streaming videos a little smoother.

bored2k
April 1st, 2005, 01:33 AM
This is more due to xine than Totem. There's supposed to be a way to increase the number of buffers xine uses but I'm not sure how to do it. This might make streaming videos a little smoother.
You made this howto, do you know at least where can I look for this option ? its really sad I can't watch trailers at large/fscreen size without the video doing the slow motion robot dance..

Nis
April 1st, 2005, 01:49 AM
You made this howto, do you know at least where can I look for this option ? its really sad I can't watch trailers at large/fscreen size without the video doing the slow motion robot dance..
I did a quick Google search but I couldn't find anything. Sorry. :(

CowPie
April 1st, 2005, 01:54 AM
Cool! This even kind of wokrs with Opera.

bored2k
April 1st, 2005, 01:55 AM
I did a quick Google search but I couldn't find anything. Sorry. :(
I can't even find somewhere to contact developers :\ .

Nis
April 1st, 2005, 06:42 AM
As of two days ago the official Totem Mozilla plugin is working (http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=144937). While this won't make Hoary maybe we'll see a backport of it (hint, hint jdong:)). It will probably requre the latest Totem so it might be too much for a backport but there's always hope. Let's see if this HOWTO can be made obsolete.

LongTooth
April 2nd, 2005, 07:58 AM
Sorry guys. I've tried many things that have messed up my system. So fear of the unknown is not something that will stop me. But I still don't get it. I'm excited about enabling embeded streaming video on my machine but I don't know what to do. So, be kind and take me by the hand, please. What are the steps? Can't decipher Nis' HowTo. Thanks.

Muchacho_Gasolino
April 2nd, 2005, 07:21 PM
noobie version:

-open up synaptic
-do a search for mozplugger. it should find a package called mozplugger. mark it for install if its checkbox is not filled in already
-do a search for totem-xine. it should find a package called totem-xine. mark it for install if its checkbox is not filled in already
-apply changes
-download Nis's mozpluggerrc.txt. rename it in nautilus to just mozpluggerrc
-open up a terminal, navigate to the directory mozpluggerrc is in, and input
sudo cp ./mozpluggerrc /etc/mozpluggerrc
-open up your home directory in nautilus, show hidden files, open up the .mozilla directory, then the firefox directory, then delete pluginreg.dat

should be good to go :wink:

let me know if you need any further clarification

the only thing i dont understand is where to get the w32codecs from

ubuntu_demon
April 2nd, 2005, 07:44 PM
Muchacho_Gasolino : w32codecs you get from marillat

LongTooth
April 2nd, 2005, 08:44 PM
Here's something I think about when Mozplugger is to be used; Currently I'm using Ubuntu-geek's Auto Script which installed, among other things, Totem-xine . I like my video downloads to open in separate apps - in this case, Totem. In other installs, I have used Mplayer. In those systems, when I installed mozplugger, the stand-alone video viewer (Mplayer-Totem-Xine) was superceded by the plugin. Will this be the case here? For example: can I go to the Apple Trailer site and view their embedded film clips on my browser via the pluggin and also view other .mov files with Totem when it's called for? I don't want mozplugger to take over my viewing options. In other words, Totem opens and plays a clip when called upon and the pluggin plays a film clip in the browser when it's called to do so. Maybe I'm asking for too much. Is this a case of 'either/or' and not both? Anyway, let me know. Before I install this on my main Linux box, I'll give it a shot on my test box.

Muchacho_Gasolino, thanks for the clarification. I think I can work with this.

Muchacho_Gasolino
April 2nd, 2005, 10:50 PM
w32codecs you get from marillat

i dont have any package called w32codecs in my repositories(AMD64) from marillat
i looked through the lists on the unstable i386 repository on marillat's site and couldnt find the package there either

ubuntu_demon
April 3rd, 2005, 12:54 PM
i dont have any package called w32codecs in my repositories(AMD64) from marillat
i looked through the lists on the unstable i386 repository on marillat's site and couldnt find the package there either
that's bad
maybe it is or will be in hoary-extras (part of the backports project)

Leif
April 3rd, 2005, 02:00 PM
I just wanna say thanks for this too. Works nicely under Opera, except for the problem with viewing large trailers, as mentioned by others.

macewan
April 3rd, 2005, 04:31 PM
For those of us who are mentally challanged, could someone please put these instructions in a form a moron like me can follow? I've just installed Ubuntu on a test box and I'd like to try this out before I do the same to my main box. Thanks.

thanks for saving me the time and stigma of asking this for this :wink:

bradword
April 3rd, 2005, 05:23 PM
You are my hero! Mplayer plugin is sooo bad. This works great. I can stream from audible.com and mlb.com! I can now watch my mlbtv package. I'm so close to getting rid of windows all together. I just need something to sync my ipod and download audible :). Oh any pcAnywhere. I'll keep looking around. Again thanks for a great how-to.

LongTooth
April 3rd, 2005, 05:52 PM
macewan, always will to take a hit to get a procedure clarified. When I saw Nis' tip, I just couldn't figure it out.

And Muchacho_Gasolino, I have to thank you for the 'noobie' instructions.

To answer my last post, this does not seem to interfere with the stand-alone video player (Totem-xine). I was able to view inline and downloaded videos using both (browser-plugin & Totem as called for). This worked on my test box. Now to try it out on my main box.

And last but certainly not least, a big thanks to Nis.

LongTooth
April 3rd, 2005, 06:40 PM
As an after thought: Here's a site I use to test my system for everything. You'll see what I mean. http://fredrik.hubbe.net/plugger.html

Go to the bottom of the page. 'Testing Your Plugin'. "Plugger testing grounds". When you're there: Menu on left side. Go to the bottom. Click on 'More Mime-types from Linspire'. Test to your hearts desire.

And I did installed in on my main box. Great! I can now say my system is complete.

saik0
April 11th, 2005, 04:12 AM
This worked great for me, I noticed however it wont play nice with other Totem windows

Nis
April 11th, 2005, 04:33 AM
This worked great for me, I noticed however it wont play nice with other Totem windows
What do you mean by not playing nice? Does it not work when another Totem window is open (as I believe it is doing now on my end) or does it replace what is playing? If it is the second that is by design choice.

jeffjj
April 11th, 2005, 05:23 AM
You guys rock! I have been using Linux for a few years now and just thought the multimedia stuff just didn't work. I see now that people are just weird about distributing the codes. I used this forum and the one from the unofficial documentation and now have full multimedia capabiltiy! Yeah, I'm so excited!

saik0
April 11th, 2005, 07:14 AM
What do you mean by not playing nice? Does it not work when another Totem window is open (as I believe it is doing now on my end) or does it replace what is playing? If it is the second that is by design choice.

The first one Nis. This includes previously opened Totem windows as well as ones opened after it is embedded in the browser.

tanari
April 11th, 2005, 07:13 PM
http://mplayerplug-in.sourceforge.net/
I think this plugin much better.
It has all buttons like play/pause/fullscreen/save movie to hdd

Nis
April 11th, 2005, 07:41 PM
http://mplayerplug-in.sourceforge.net/
I think this plugin much better.
It has all buttons like play/pause/fullscreen/save movie to hdd
I agree that mplayerplug-in is more featured than this workaround for Totem, but the last time I used it (from universe in Hoary) all the features you cite were not compiled in. And it also require Mplayer which can be a pain to get working on some machines. Totem-xine should work for most people and this tip takes advantage of that.

Cuber
April 11th, 2005, 08:45 PM
I tried this with a Quicktime movie, had video but no sound. Couldn't play wmv file, missing codecs.

Cannot seem to find the codecs though. Anybody knows where to find them?

brickbat
April 11th, 2005, 09:57 PM
Thanks. It is an excellent solution.

I do notice a rebuffering problem with the stream even though plenty of bandwidth is available. What i have found so far is that there is a file in ~/.xine/catalog.cache that contains settings for the decoder. Now we just need to figure out how to mod it without breaking something.

ciao
bb

Nis
April 11th, 2005, 10:40 PM
I tried this with a Quicktime movie, had video but no sound. Couldn't play wmv file, missing codecs.

Cannot seem to find the codecs though. Anybody knows where to find them?
The w32codecs are in hoary-extras of the Ubuntu backports project (backports.ubuntuforums.org[/url).

Cuber
April 12th, 2005, 08:00 PM
Ok, installed the codecs from the backport. Now I can play wmv files with sound. Quicktime movies do have sound / work on some sites, not on all (quicktime trailers work, embedded movies on www.nintendo.com don't)

Nis
April 12th, 2005, 08:37 PM
Ok, installed the codecs from the backport. Now I can play wmv files with sound. Quicktime movies do have sound / work on some sites, not on all (quicktime trailers work, embedded movies on www.nintendo.com don't)
Quicktime embedded videos do have sound for me. Try playing a Quicktime video in a standalone totem instance and then try it embedded. I discuss this here (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=128464&postcount=32).

Cuber
April 12th, 2005, 09:04 PM
Quicktime embedded videos do have sound for me. Try playing a Quicktime video in a standalone totem instance and then try it embedded. I discuss this here (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=128464&postcount=32).
Standalone .mov files play without music as well.

It's a quick time codec issue I assume since some movies won't play as standalone or streaming at all (Totem give's a error)

mohaham
April 13th, 2005, 01:51 AM
Awesome...
now Ubuntu is multimedia ready...
Thanks...

Nis
April 13th, 2005, 03:57 PM
If you would rather have the (still in progress) official Totem-Mozilla plugin then check out this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=21405). Requires some use of apt-get (not Synaptic), installing dev packages, editing files, and building debian packages. If you decide to go this route (which is very very cool) you will need mozilla-dev or the plugin will not be compiled.

segrewb
April 13th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Excellent! I'm going to give it a try.

Jump
April 13th, 2005, 11:23 PM
I can play apple trailers but they dont have any sound. I also can't play anything at gamespot.com

I followed the directions perfectly, it's just not working.

j_baer
April 13th, 2005, 11:59 PM
The no sound issue is usually associated with the win32 codecs not installing. I would double check this and install if missing. There is a really nice script from Nis titled Hoary After Installation located here ...

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=22860

Cheers ...

NeoChaosX
April 14th, 2005, 12:41 AM
Works fine, except some WMVs don't play with sound in Totem. But in general, I've had problems getting WMVs to play with sound in Totem anyway. :-?

Cuber
April 14th, 2005, 04:19 PM
I ran the HAIH script, it said I had the embedded media already installed. So I tried the quicktime movies that didn't work and now they do work with sound....

Weird, but I am happy.

Thanks.

merlyn
April 14th, 2005, 07:09 PM
Thankyou so much, this is extremely cool !!! :smile:

Out of curiosity would it also be possible to do likewise with totem-gstreamer.

Nis
April 15th, 2005, 12:50 PM
Thankyou so much, this is extremely cool !!! :smile:

Out of curiosity would it also be possible to do likewise with totem-gstreamer.
I believe as long as you have totem-gstreamer installed instead of totem-xine than it should work. Not sure since I haven't tried. The problems with totem-gstreamer are lack of DVD menu support and the inability to correctly play many of the formats that are streamed over the web. Until ffmpeg and gstreamer-dvd become more mature I recommend going with totem-xine.

NTolerance
April 20th, 2005, 07:27 AM
I've followed the tutorial through twice and I still can't get streaming quicktime and wmv to work. I have totem-xine, gstreamer, mozplugger, and w32codecs installed. I can play quicktime and wmv files locally, but not streaming with Firefox. Totem starts up when I click on a quicktime or wmv file in firefox, but I get this error:

There is no plugin to handle this movie.

Nis
April 20th, 2005, 12:41 PM
I've followed the tutorial through twice and I still can't get streaming quicktime and wmv to work. I have totem-xine, gstreamer, mozplugger, and w32codecs installed. I can play quicktime and wmv files locally, but not streaming with Firefox. Totem starts up when I click on a quicktime or wmv file in firefox, but I get this error:

Did you get the mozpluggerrc.txt attached at the beginning of this thread? Did you rename it to /etc/mozpluggerrc? Also, post the output of

ls -l /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins

NTolerance
April 20th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Did you get the mozpluggerrc.txt attached at the beginning of this thread? Did you rename it to /etc/mozpluggerrc? Also, post the output of

Yeah, I copied that file to /etc/mozpluggerrc.

Here's the output:

total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 37 2005-04-18 06:17 flashplayer.xpt -> ../../mozilla/plugins/flashplayer.xpt
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 39 2005-04-18 06:17 libflashplayer.so -> ../../mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 58 2005-04-18 06:38 libjavaplugin_oji.so -> /usr/java/jre1.5.0_02/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 35 2005-04-18 15:11 mozplugger.so -> ../../mozilla/plugins/mozplugger.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 50 2005-04-18 06:17 nppdf.so -> ../../Adobe/Acrobat7.0/Browser/intellinux/nppdf.so

Nis
April 20th, 2005, 08:01 PM
Yeah, I copied that file to /etc/mozpluggerrc.

Here's the output:

total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 37 2005-04-18 06:17 flashplayer.xpt -> ../../mozilla/plugins/flashplayer.xpt
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 39 2005-04-18 06:17 libflashplayer.so -> ../../mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 58 2005-04-18 06:38 libjavaplugin_oji.so -> /usr/java/jre1.5.0_02/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 35 2005-04-18 15:11 mozplugger.so -> ../../mozilla/plugins/mozplugger.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 50 2005-04-18 06:17 nppdf.so -> ../../Adobe/Acrobat7.0/Browser/intellinux/nppdf.so

Have you tried removing ~/.mozilla/firefox/pluginreg.dat (or something like that). mozplugger will not pick up configuration changes (such as the replacement of /etc/mozpluggerrc) until that file has been removed and recreated.

madzzoni
April 20th, 2005, 08:52 PM

You had to delete /home/your_username/.mozilla/firefox/pluginreg.dat
after replacing mozpluggerrc.

Then restart Firefox.

hector
April 20th, 2005, 08:55 PM
Hello,

I followed your instructions on installing mozplugger and everything seems to be working ok except for one thing: if I revisit a web page with embedded media the media won't play (I get a blank box). I have to flush the cache in firefox to be able to see it again. This is very inconvenient if you want to go back and forward while browsing.

anyone knows why?

cheers!

hector.

NTolerance
April 20th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Have you tried removing ~/.mozilla/firefox/pluginreg.dat (or something like that). mozplugger will not pick up configuration changes (such as the replacement of /etc/mozpluggerrc) until that file has been removed and recreated.

I did that before and did it again for good measure, still no change. I might add that I can play avi and mpeg files through Firefox/Totem, just not mov and wmv files.

Edit: After further testing I am finding that it's only particular videos that do this. I have found some streaming video test sites that work fine with all types of media. This is the particular wmv file that I was having problems with:

mms://66.235.201.198/relapsemedia/video/BLOOD_%20AND_THUNDER.wmv

I'm assuming at this point that there's extra stuff in that wmv that's not covered by w32codecs.

Sorry for the wild goose chase everyone.

veritas366
April 23rd, 2005, 07:16 AM
Thank you! I don't know whose confusion is where but I want to add a couple of things.

First off, this tutorial (http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-3450.html) is the one I tried to follow. This puts in totem-xine and the mozplugger. Then you have to edit the mozplugger which is at /etc/mozpluggerrc. The problem with the tutorial was that it was really unclear exactly where to add this certain line it tells you to add. the instructions are vague and I guess, from the reaction to this new approach, maybe not even correct.

Anyway, now you can follow the tutorial up until it says to start messing with mozpluggerrc. Open it in a text editor as it suggests and then simply replace ALL of it with the text in the first post of this thread.

Now, if no one who gets this far was confused about this much...well...sorry! Just thought I'd make it double clear for newbies.

A couple more thoughts. First, I could not get mplayer to work. It would simply hang after buffering 25%...whether large file or small. This was similar to its behavior in FC3 so it's not a Ubuntu thing but I couldn't figure it out.

Second, I've found at least one thing that totem-xine can't open streaming...and that is certain quicktime files. I think they also utilize activex or something. If you go to the apple movie site, for example, here (http://www.apple.com/trailers/) and you have the same experience I do, then the following happens. Links to sites where you must first click on small, medium, or large which then opens a separate page to play the clip work great. The other type, where you are to click WITHIN THE FRAME of the area where the movie will play, do not work. I looked at source once and like I said, I think these types have an activex component.

Anyway..thanks for this great fix...I was getting frustrated!

bahumbug
April 27th, 2005, 04:28 AM
anyone else have a problem with the mozplugger plugin and the mozilla plugin for acroread? whenever i try to install mozplugger, through synaptic, it says that i have to remove mozilla-acroread.

i have adobe acrobat installed and i prefer it to xpdf, is there any way to get mozilla-acroread working with the mozplugger? or must i choose... that would suck

PEACE

hobnob
April 28th, 2005, 02:12 PM
To get PDFs to display using mozplugger, edit the following line in /etc/mozpluggerrc from
repeat swallow(acrobatreader) fill: acroread -geometry +9000+9000 +useFrontEndProgram -tempFileTitle acrobatreader "$file" to
repeat swallow(acroread) fill: acroread -geometry +9000+9000 -tempFileTitle acrobatreader "$file" You'll find it under "text/x-pdf: pdf: PDF file".

Spoofhound
May 2nd, 2005, 10:03 PM
This is really cool. Being totally new to Ubuntu (and Linux), help like this makes life sooooo easy. Thanks a bunch (ok, lotsa people have already said this, but that's not the issue), giving like this is what will eventually turn people onto Linux

Mon
May 3rd, 2005, 07:41 PM
Hi,
i'd like to play some realaudio stuff. The Apple trailers work fine, but can totem handle realmedia? I've also installed helix-player since it's opensource and should work with it, but it doesn't. Can anyone figure out how to fix this?

NeoChaosX
May 3rd, 2005, 09:02 PM
If you have w32codecs installed, then yeah, Totem can handle RealMedia just fine. Helix doesn't support Real formats, though, get RealPlayer itself if you want that.

linuxnomad
May 7th, 2005, 04:38 AM
Thanks for the totem plugin it works great. I have not found to much that totem can't play on the net. The only things totem can't play are the same things Mplayer can't play.

I can't seem to goto full screen, but the only Mplayer plugin I could utilize the full screen function on was in Gentoo, so totem is still just as good as Mplayer if not a little better in my opion.

Is there a fix that can let me use the fullscreen function?

pseudonym
May 10th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Just wanted to add my thanks for this as well! :D Previously, I was using a combination of gxine and vlc for video, with vlc set up for embedded. But that used to crap out more often than not, unfortunately. Now, with totem-xine and mozplugger, there's very little that won't play! :D

bored2k
May 10th, 2005, 02:43 PM
I just started using kaffeine plugin for mozilla. Working wonders right now.

NeoChaosX
May 14th, 2005, 08:06 PM
[Is there anybody else who's having streaming issues for Totem-xine? Mozplugger streams the video to Totem fine, my problem is that Totem stops too often to buffer the video again and again. I was hoping it's stream continously without stopping like mplayerplug-in.

EDIT: Nevermind, got rid of the mozplugger I compiled from source and installed the version in the repositories, and now the streaming problem is fixed.

lark5000
May 15th, 2005, 07:15 AM
What am I doing wrong?

I've followed the instructions at the top of page 4 of this thread, but when I select some media to play, Firefox is still tied to Mplayer as the plug-in.

Any suggestions?...

Oops, just figured it out. I went to Synaptic and uninstalled mozilla-mplayer. Now it works! Thanks all...

rwabel
May 15th, 2005, 06:23 PM
thanks a lot, works fine. Just wondering if the configuration button works for you guys?
For me when clicking on it, nothing happens

no-success
May 16th, 2005, 01:20 AM
mozilla didnt rebuild its registry. ive closed mozilla and restarted my comp twice with no luck? any suggestions? can someone just send me their file?

rwabel
May 16th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Audio is also working fine for me. But on this site it just won't play
www.skyrock.com
does anyone can confirm that?

another thing, if you click on the pause button, does it just pause or stop. I mean does it still use bandwidth for the streaming?

madzzoni
May 16th, 2005, 01:11 PM
Audio is also working fine for me. But on this site it just won't play
www.skyrock.com
does anyone can confirm that?

another thing, if you click on the pause button, does it just pause or stop. I mean does it still use bandwidth for the streaming?

For me skyrock TV works fine, using Totem/mozpluggerrc

rwabel
May 16th, 2005, 01:24 PM
For me skyrock TV works fine, using Totem/mozpluggerrc
that's right, skyrock tv is working. I meant skyrock radio :-) sorry for not beeing precise

no-success
May 16th, 2005, 08:57 PM
mozilla didnt rebuild its registry. ive closed mozilla and restarted my comp twice with no luck? any suggestions? can someone just send me their file?

Firefox still wont rewrite the pluginreg.dat file. any suggestions?

bjunix
May 16th, 2005, 09:49 PM
hello .
dont know if this is the right place to ask. but i didnt dare to open a new "totem" thread.

i installed the win32 codecs manualy and totem-xine is complaining about missing codecs. i found no way to configure totem to use my manualy installed codecs.

i've allready configured xine to use the win32 codecs, but that does not solve my problem

edit: ok i found the config file myself at ~/.gnome2/totem_config

dominik
May 22nd, 2005, 11:45 AM
i still dont get it to work. i installed everything and firefox still says "you dont have the wright plugin".

I use Firefox 1.0.4 from the Ubuntu Backports.

dominik@ubuntu:~$ ls -l /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins
insgesamt 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 37 2005-05-21 13:31 flashplayer.xpt -> ../../mozilla/plugins/flashplayer.xpt
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 39 2005-05-21 13:31 libflashplayer.so -> ../../mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 39 2005-05-21 13:37 libjavaplugin.so -> /etc/alternatives/firefox-javaplugin.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 35 2005-05-21 22:13 mozplugger.so -> ../../mozilla/plugins/mozplugger.so

any ideas? :?

gamma
June 8th, 2005, 11:45 PM
Thanks for posting there. I used to use the totem mozilla plugin using epiphany/mozilla backend. It didn't support enough mimetypes though. I then switched to firefox and the plugin no longer installed. I luckily found this post.

The only issue I'm having is the buffer is too small and videos stop to rebuffer a lot. Sometimes the movies don't play at all, and movies with advertisements at first dont want to play either...

jzke
June 9th, 2005, 10:55 AM
O... M... G... this is great, I cannot that you enough!!! :-) \\:D/

fsman
June 17th, 2005, 06:03 PM
can someone suggest a good site to test that this is working. On BTyahoo video section I select Windows Media player - totem starts with video but no sound

bored2k
June 17th, 2005, 06:06 PM
can someone suggest a good site to test that this is working. On BTyahoo video section I select Windows Media player - totem starts with video but no sound
http://www.gamespot.com/gslive/index.html
http://www.apple.com/trailers/

greenwom
June 18th, 2005, 02:54 AM
I made sure the Packages were installed, removed the .txt extension and copied the file, and rm ~/.mozilla/firefox/pluginreg.dat

When I try to strean a .wmv file the white Mplayerplug-in screen runs and nothing it just loads and loads.....

What do I do?

EDIT: I deleted the file again, guess I had to save when I shut down the box?

Moosferatu
June 29th, 2005, 08:24 PM
It doesn't seem to work of the streaming Daily Show (http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/the_daily_show/videos/most_recent/index.jhtml) clips either. Is there a way to fix this?

rwabel
June 30th, 2005, 04:00 PM
It doesn't seem to work of the streaming Daily Show (http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/the_daily_show/videos/most_recent/index.jhtml) clips either. Is there a way to fix this?
for me it even works in opera!

sirro
July 19th, 2005, 07:47 AM
any chance you can add to the first post all the additional stuff you may have to do to install it so it works? like installing codecs and stuff like that......cause i am a true noob to this and instructions that are not STEP BY STEP or need additional stuff lose me totally......like assuming i know where things r in this topy turvy non-dos world of linux.........

i HATE windows with a passion..and i love what linux is all about.....but i cant swim here yet....and im not the only one.....the esyer it is the more converts we will have...i implore you to go by K.I.S.S. ;-)

darkmatter
July 20th, 2005, 03:20 AM
Exellent. Even wma streams play perfectly. Tested on many sites, Dreamland (http://www.unknowncountry.com/dreamland/) is a good example.

ubuntp
July 20th, 2005, 11:22 AM
As an alternative you can install totem with builtin mozilla-plugin, it'll even show controls on videos then.

irkab1rka
July 23rd, 2005, 10:41 PM
In other words:

# please open a terminal (right click on desktop, and choose the first menu item: open new terminal)
# get access to the files as root: (will ask for root user's password)
sudo su
# extend the list of available updates by modify the line by adding universe (and probably the multiverse) option to it:
# deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hoary main restricted universe multiverse
vim /etc/apt/sources.list
# now you have to update the list of available software updates
apt-get update
# and you can do the install of the codecs (coder-decocoder) by:
apt-get install totem-xine
# at this point you probably will be able to open most of the files and you can watch them and you can hear them. I hope I have saved some ](*,) for you ;-)

A comment should be added:
you can check the file (/etc/apt/sources.list) by using the menu: System/Administration/Update manager
Then please select "Ubuntu 5.04 binary" (or whatever you have except the CD) and click 'edit'. On the panel you will find the 'Groups' section where 'main restricted' appears. If you change it to 'main restricted universe multiverse' (then save) then you did the same changes as i described above, so you can open the terminal for update and install.

WebbyBabe
August 30th, 2005, 01:35 AM
I can't get this to work. :( All I get is a black box with the controls on the bottom. ](*,)

darkmatter
August 30th, 2005, 03:49 AM
I can't get this to work. :( All I get is a black box with the controls on the bottom. ](*,)

Make sure to install totem-xine, w32codecs, libquicktime, and any other media formats that you want playback capability for.

kairu0
August 30th, 2005, 03:54 AM
You are GOD! I've waited ages for a personnage like to grace the presence of the hallowed ubuntu forums!

WebbyBabe
August 30th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Make sure to install totem-xine, w32codecs, libquicktime, and any other media formats that you want playback capability for.

I have all of those things installed and still no luck. ](*,)

eddietours
September 2nd, 2005, 01:45 PM
I have all of those things installed and still no luck. ](*,)
hello everybody i just want to let you guys know thank you for all this great info am not using ubuntu but debian since ubuntu is built on debian i follow all the info in the forum and i have to said am very happy just keep the good work.

eddietours
September 2nd, 2005, 01:49 PM
sorry about the qoute it was not my intention i just wanted to said all the info is grate thz.

mbeach
September 13th, 2005, 02:47 AM
anyone happen to get the xm radio feed working (available at: http://xmro.xmradio.com/xstream/index.jsp)? I get the little visualization in the player window, but no sound. However, if I view the source and see that it is pointing to:
http://player.xmradio.com/hotstream/metafile.jsp?ch=16&speed=low&s=121326557&e=121326557&h=64786f65

[I changed the values of the s e and h for this post (see the link for the full url)]

so, after reading something about launching totem from the command line at least once, so I ran:

totem http://player.xmradio.com/hotstream/metafile.jsp?ch=16&speed=low&s=121326557&e=121326557&h=64786f65

which launches totem, but I get a login error (I'm using my legitimate usr/pwd). In the console I get this though:

[1] 20396
[2] 20397
[3] 20398
[4] 20399
[2] Done speed=low
[3] Done s=121326557
[4] Done e=121326557

and eventually:

StreamCount r=0x0 1 1
Total Unfree 60 bytes cnt 1 [(nil),0]

My gut feeling is the parameters are too long, or there are too many of them. The same output is seen when running gxine.

So, my question is, has anyone gotten the XM Radio player to work [I think you can sign up for a 3 day trial]?

Any ideas?
mb.

seiflotfy
October 6th, 2005, 08:15 AM
where did the txt file go

Mon
October 13th, 2005, 08:57 PM
The script worked great for me in Hoary. However a new era of Linux has come, and it's name is Breezy Badger as you'd might have noticed :)
The Breezy installer appearantly overwrote my old config. Are there any plans to adapt the mozplugger file for Breezy so i can watch trailers at Apple again? Or should the Hoary file still be compatible? I checked the new mozplugger file and it does seem to handle files different than this version...

madzzoni
October 13th, 2005, 11:14 PM
The script worked great for me in Hoary. However a new era of Linux has come, and it's name is Breezy Badger as you'd might have noticed :)
The Breezy installer appearantly overwrote my old config. Are there any plans to adapt the mozplugger file for Breezy so i can watch trailers at Apple again? Or should the Hoary file still be compatible? I checked the new mozplugger file and it does seem to handle files different than this version...

This works for my Breezy, only thing it seems not to handle is the apple/trailers (.mov).
I following the "hoary" instruction.

crypto178
October 14th, 2005, 01:54 PM
This works for my Breezy, only thing it seems not to handle is the apple/trailers (.mov).
I following the "hoary" instruction.

Same thing here, I don't know why but apple.com trailers don't work, totem loads but an error occurs that goes like : "there was no plugin to handle this" (rough translation from french).

John.Michael.Kane
October 15th, 2005, 05:47 AM
do you have the quicktime files installed ie:libquicktime

OttoDestruct
October 16th, 2005, 05:28 PM
I have this working... somewhat... it shows about 3 seconds of video then just stops. Doesn't matter how long I sit there for the stream to download or whatever, it can be an hour for a 1mb video, and it only shows ~3 seconds.

livecdlover
October 17th, 2005, 04:32 AM
Here's the best advice I can give that is almost guaranteed to work perfectly and play movies from http://www.apple.com/trailers/ embedded in Firefox. Go to this link and follow the directions. In my plugin folder I had three files with Totem in the name that I had to delete. Here's the link: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=418707&posted=1#post418707

I just used the Mplayer instruction above and the repository information at http://www.psychocats.net/sources.html . I found this link in the Ubuntu forums. Mplayer now works perfectly embedded in Firefox. I can even hit the back button in Firefox while playing a movie and Firefox doesn't shut down. I don't kow why Ubuntu uses Totem. Mplayer looks very nice embedded in Firefox and works great. :D

Mon
October 17th, 2005, 08:33 AM
I didn't.. So i installed libquicktime1.
Still get "Totem could not play 'fd://0'. No plugin ..."
Do you have it working on Breezy?

Using an online radio thingy (which used to work) i get this in a terminal:
$ ** Message: error: There is no plugin to handle thi s movie.
The program 'totem-mozilla-viewer' received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was 'BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)'.
(Details: serial 1379 error_code 9 request_code 14 minor_code 0)
(Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)

crypto178
October 17th, 2005, 07:31 PM

Yes, it didn't help though :(
I think the problem comes from apple.com using advanced quicktime features (beyond simple video files), such as an embedded movie file redirecting to another (more hidden) file. To prevent leeching I guess, bah!
Just pure speculation :D

eddietours
October 20th, 2005, 02:07 PM
hello i can see the regular quicktime video but not the hd aka h.264 can anybody help please:confused: