PDA

View Full Version : Why the Linux hate?

frotzed
June 1st, 2011, 03:11 AM
I've recently begun a new career in IT and I've noticed a general disdain for Linux both as a Server OS and a Desktop OS. Now, maybe it's because I'm new to this field and haven't met a whole lot of other IT folks yet, but I wonder why this view of Linux being hard to use and unstable exists?

Admittedly, I only have experience with Linux on the desktop, so is Linux as a server OS really _that_ much harder to use than Windows Server?

TLDR; does anyone else experience Linux hate in the IT workspace? If so, what is your method of handling it as a Linux fan?

Thewhistlingwind
June 1st, 2011, 03:25 AM
It doesn't look like windows?

Don't laugh, today I talked to someone who said they hated Linux because they thought gnome-panel looked like **** (Fill in whatever your mind does.) and that they wanted it to look like windows.

I promptly recommended KDE.

Allavona
June 1st, 2011, 03:30 AM
I dunno. Apart from the fact that my work server running Linux has never crashed, I couldn't begin to imagine what the problems could be. Every other computer on the net work is WinXP/Vista/7 Professional something or other, but our IT person runs a Linux server. Result, everything works.

I have never gotten "hate," but I have heard, "what are you doing running that garbage." And I answer, "not crashing! What about you?"

Dustin2128
June 1st, 2011, 03:34 AM
Usually from idiots who want to make it sound like they know what they're talking about, and want to make it sound like they intelligently use windows instead of simply using it because it was preinstalled on their computer. They're the same kind of people who make up the script kiddie demographic, but with even less knowledge or interest in computers. Of course, I do know people who do use windows out of choice, but these aren't the bashers, they're the gamers.

Aquix
June 1st, 2011, 03:36 AM
It doesn't look like windows?

Don't laugh, today I talked to someone who said they hated Linux because they thought gnome-panel looked like **** (Fill in whatever your mind does.) and that they wanted it to look like windows.

I promptly recommended KDE.

I've heard that too :lolflag:

But then I tell them that with emerald and themes you can make linux look exactly like Windows 7 or osx. And when they don't believe me I ask them to do a youtube search. :KS

3Miro
June 1st, 2011, 03:37 AM
If they hate it as a server OS, then they are just ignorant. Google and Youtube are couple of examples of large Linux servers, the majority of the servers out there are Linux.

Desktop Linux gets some hate because it used to be very server oriented. Modern systems like Ubuntu are just as much Desktop oriented as they are server oriented.

frotzed
June 1st, 2011, 03:39 AM
I have never gotten "hate," but I have heard, "what are you doing running that garbage."
That's actually closer to what I hear, to be honest. Though I do like your answer ;)

uRock
June 1st, 2011, 03:44 AM
I think a lot of folks X out Linux because they don't want to have to learn another OS. They are comfortable with the tools they are already using.

Personally, I think that being proficient in more than one OS is a must. What do these guys do when their boss says he realized XP is dead and he doesn't want to pay for a bunch of licenses to upgrade to W7? I'd rather be ready to say I have a few ideas of what may work for the company, instead of trying to convince the boss that paying for the licenses will be easier than spending a little time setting up a few test systems to show the boss he/she has options.

I have no problems using Windows and Linux. They are both great tools.

Copper Bezel
June 1st, 2011, 03:50 AM
People will be chauvinists for the thing they use. My stepfather is in IT at a firm that only develops for Windows. So he runs a Windows server and has always been rather proud of it, matching his uptimes to what he hears of Linux servers. He wasn't so much hostile toward Linux as that he had a sense that the desktops were tuner OSs with no practical use and that the servers, while nice, couldn't do anything he couldn't, after all, or at least that Windows Server was good enough for him, by gob and cornmeal.

Well, lately, he picked up an Android phone and got a touch more open to the Linux universe, and we got to talking about my Eee on its now-dated kernel and release cycles and such, and I ended up explaining to him how conservative release cycles for server builds and the kernelspace / userspace division contribute to all those fabulously long uptimes on Linux servers he'd been feeling a little subconsciously threatened about. Well and good, but he's been in IT since long before I went to school to become a goddamned English teacher.

People get attached to things, people only get to know the things they're around, and people generally have to weigh the cost of switching against the benefits. You show off what you have, and you're threatening what they have, even if you don't make the slightest sign of a sales pitch.

Fairly threatened when Microsoft does something impressive, myself.

silex89
June 1st, 2011, 03:52 AM
A lot of my teachers in the university don't like Linux because they think its a programming-oriented OS and they don't like to hear "Command Prompt"; they still think that Linux is hard to use because lots of scripts and codes need to be learned. Obviously they hadn't tried ubuntu yet :D, is really easy to use....

Sand & Mercury
June 1st, 2011, 03:57 AM
I've never really heard any disdain for Linux as a server base. It's well-regarded on that front, it's mostly the desktop that seems to get all the criticism -- and most of that, from what I see, is knee-jerk backlash from casual Windows/OS X supporters against the rampant evangelism and snobbery you often see the Linux youth getting around with. It's no different from the gaming console war bullcrap that goes on strong with every generation -- not much facts, just a lot of fanboyism and no side is innocent.

There's also some legit criticism for Linux as a desktop or server OS out there, but most of it's swept away under a tide of "u cant play games? stfu then".

Thewhistlingwind
June 1st, 2011, 04:00 AM
Fairly threatened when Microsoft does something impressive, myself.

*Nod*

Actually, I think your post may have been a /thread.

Options like dual booting and Live CD's really do more to get Linux users then anything.

It's easier to think about switching when you can trial in the meantime.

krapp
June 1st, 2011, 04:04 AM
and most of that, from what I see, is knee-jerk backlash from casual Windows/OS X supporters against the rampant evangelism and snobbery you often see the Linux youth getting around with.

Kids these days...

Most people hardly know what Linux is, let alone are able to form a criticism of it by seeing through its overeager promotion. Are you referring specifically to comments you see on slashdot?

SeijiSensei
June 1st, 2011, 05:03 AM
A lot of my teachers in the university don't like Linux because they think its a programming-oriented OS and they don't like to hear "Command Prompt"; they still think that Linux is hard to use because lots of scripts and codes need to be learned. Obviously they hadn't tried ubuntu yet :D, is really easy to use....

We can only hope these people aren't teaching courses in computer science. Maybe they're in the history department? Fine arts?

8_Bit
June 1st, 2011, 05:27 AM
People in academia tend to be blind Apple-heads, at least in the liberal arts. That's probably why.

drawkcab
June 1st, 2011, 05:51 AM
People in academia tend to be blind Apple-heads, at least in the liberal arts. That's probably why.

I am an academic working in the humanities and I can confirm your observation.

krapp
June 1st, 2011, 05:54 AM
I am an academic working in the humanities and I can confirm your observation.

To be fair, for a lot of people Apple used to stand for things like anti-monopolism. But the Empire struck back and now leftist Apple users are an oxymoron. Many oxymorons in humanities, come to think of it.

sonowilson
June 1st, 2011, 05:55 AM
I work help for a medium sized accounting firm (we support about 200 employees), and although we dont really have any linux servers or desktops, we do use some linux tools and much of the IT staff is respectful if not knowledgeable of linux. I'm glad to say there are no haters.

I may try to push for putting linux on my work desktop and running Windows and our firm software in a vm. I think I could probably convince my boss to let me.

Copper Bezel
June 1st, 2011, 07:30 AM
To be fair, for a lot of people Apple used to stand for things like anti-monopolism. But the Empire struck back and now leftist Apple users are an oxymoron. Many oxymorons in humanities, come to think of it.
Well, for a lot of people it still does, but I wouldn't necessarily assume that ignorant rhetoric reflects an ignorant choice. OSX is still the best operating system you can run MS Office and Adobe CS5 on, which, setting ideology aside, is really all that matters in the humanities. That its evangelists are slightly less informed than the Linux ones is hardly relevant.

I'm in the humanities and use Ubuntu, as I'd noted, but there are costs and benefits with that as anything else.

krapp
June 1st, 2011, 08:04 AM
Well, for a lot of people it still does, but I wouldn't necessarily assume that ignorant rhetoric reflects an ignorant choice. OSX is still the best operating system you can run MS Office and Adobe CS5 on, which, setting ideology aside, is really all that matters in the humanities. That its evangelists are slightly less informed than the Linux ones is hardly relevant.

I'm in the humanities and use Ubuntu, as I'd noted, but there are costs and benefits with that as anything else.

I agree; I used OSX exclusively for 5 years before coming to Linux, and I still think OSX is the easiest and most idiot-proof OS available. The point I was trying to make was that if political reasons explain a certain set of Mac users, it is time for those users to reevaluate their OS.

el_koraco
June 1st, 2011, 08:50 AM
We can only hope these people aren't teaching courses in computer science. Maybe they're in the history department? Fine arts?

You have people teaching networking courses who refuse to teach about Linux because "you can't play any games on it".

Grenage
June 1st, 2011, 09:02 AM
Horses for courses; people who limit their options are fools.

rimibchatterjee
June 1st, 2011, 09:23 AM
Most Indian servers run Red Hat for one simple reason: cost. The cost of windows and indeed most proprietary packages imported from the west is prohibitive. I work at an Indian university where I don't think a single academic owns a Mac because a mac would cost two to three months' salary, ie the downpayment on a small car. Of course we are all great pirates but pirated software is ultimately wrong and usually crashes at some point anyway. I have been trying to evangelise my colleagues in the English department to give ubuntu a try but we are sharply divided between the techies who are all for it and the complete anti-anything-to-do-with-computers who hyperventilate whenever I mention it. As a result of ignorant usage our department's desktop terminals are full of viruses because we can't buy antivirus without a central invoice (grrrr) and we have members who will happily click a link called 'your **** holiday photos' or 'win a free BMW' and then look lost when their applications behave weirdly. But I haven't lost hope: I will sneak into the computer room one evening with a stack of Ubuntu CDs and reformat the lot. :twisted:

Macskeeball
June 1st, 2011, 09:28 AM
As a result of ignorant usage our department's desktop terminals are full of viruses because we can't buy antivirus without a central invoice (grrrr) and we have members who will happily click a link called 'your **** holiday photos' or 'win a free BMW' and then look lost when their applications behave weirdly.

Microsoft makes a free antivirus called Microsoft Security Essentials (http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/), and in my experience it's pretty good. Lightweight and unobtrusive too. It might not work on pirated Windows though, if that's what your department is using.

Grenage
June 1st, 2011, 09:34 AM
Microsoft makes a free antivirus called Microsoft Security Essentials (http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/), and in my experience it's pretty good. Lightweight and unobtrusive too. It might not work on pirated Windows though, if that's what your department is using.

Only up to 10 business PCs, mind you.

binkles
June 1st, 2011, 09:38 AM
School teacher bans Linux

Claims it is illegal

A US school teacher has taken the somewhat stupid step of throwing the open sauce operating system Linux out of her classroom.
The teacher got her knickers in a twist when one of her students, Aaron was seen giving away free discs for the HeliOS Linux distribution and showing his mates how it worked on his laptop.

Read more: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1049965/school-teacher-bans-linux (http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1049965/school-teacher-bans-linux#ixzz1O0mhad4Z)

Paqman
June 1st, 2011, 10:11 AM
I can understand people hating on desktop Linux because lets face it, it's far from perfect and is widely misunderstood.

On the server however, anyone who's being objective will recognise it's a good platform. The problem is that a lot of companies tend to be either Windows or Linux, and hire people with that skillset. If you're in a Windows shop, I wouldn't be surprised to hear them badmouth Linux on servers, and vice versa. It's the same as people working with any kind of technology. In aviation you get rivalry between fixed wing and helicopters, and even between jets and props.

slackthumbz
June 1st, 2011, 10:14 AM
A lot of windows only admins find linux servers intimidating because of the CLI and the idea that you don't need a gui to do anything.

Wise man once said "An MSCE in computing is like having a McDonalds Certification in World Cuisine, pointless."

nrundy
June 1st, 2011, 01:27 PM
I watched a person use Linux for the first time. She opened OpenOffice Writer and proceeded to write a document. She used the mouse to open FILE from the menu bar. After a bit I noticed something was wrong. "Where is the damn Page Setup?" she asked. I directed her to the FORMAT section, at which point she declared she likes Windows better.

People don't want to take the time to learn something new. Computers can be frustrating, especially when you know your way around another system and you're trying to use something unfamiliar. You have to be committed to learning how the new system works. Most people aren't. They just want to get their assignment done and move on. Learning something new (even if it's a better way) doesn't really interest them. I think though it might be different with kids. Kids devote more time to exploration and curiosity. Give them Windows and Ubuntu side by side at a young age and it would be interesting to see which they end up using more.

I think Linux Hate is a result of Linux being late to the Personal Desktop game coupled with the fact that Windows has a lot of user-friendly features that Linux Desktop still does not have (because it was late to the game). As for the server, maybe folks who are only comfortable on Windows Desktop using the server?

danbuter
June 1st, 2011, 01:36 PM
For a lot of people, computers are just crappy tools that they have to use at work. They have no interest in them, and figure any time learning a new program is time wasted. Games being the one exception.

Thewhistlingwind
June 1st, 2011, 01:59 PM

Claims it is illegal

A US school teacher has taken the somewhat stupid step of throwing the open sauce operating system Linux out of her classroom.
The teacher got her knickers in a twist when one of her students, Aaron was seen giving away free discs for the HeliOS Linux distribution and showing his mates how it worked on his laptop.

Read more: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1049965/school-teacher-bans-linux (http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1049965/school-teacher-bans-linux#ixzz1O0mhad4Z)

Of course, by doing something that stupid (Assuming this story is even half true.) she earned it major cool points on count of "They don't WANT me to have it!!!".

No software can be free, lol. Must be a BSD supporter.

BrokenKingpin
June 1st, 2011, 03:43 PM
It really depends at the place you work. There are lots of places that wouldn't even think of using Windows on the server side, especially for big data centers and web servers.

silex89
June 1st, 2011, 03:59 PM

Macroeconomics lol :D

t0p
June 1st, 2011, 04:52 PM
Of course we are all great pirates but pirated software is ultimately wrong and usually crashes at some point anyway.

Utter tosh! Okay, according to your ethics pirated software may be "ultimately wrong", but there's no reason why pirated software would crash any more often than its legit counterpart. Pirated software is usually a perfect copy of the legit version. Some pirated software may have been loaded with malware, but I think that's the exception rather than the rule. The only reason I'd say there's anything wrong with pirated software is because this site's CoC compels me to say so.

cap10Ibraim
June 1st, 2011, 05:54 PM
I can't handle this , Microsoft technologies dominate the market in my country , that's why i'm thinking to work on my own
offering opensource solutions and learn on the way . At least i'm excited for this

sydbat
June 1st, 2011, 07:52 PM

Claims it is illegal

Read more: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1049965/school-teacher-bans-linux (http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1049965/school-teacher-bans-linux#ixzz1O0mhad4Z)Old fake story is old and fake.

rewyllys
June 1st, 2011, 08:10 PM
Old fake story is old and fake.
I can understand your skepticism, but the story happens to be true. It occurred in the Austin Independent School District, in Austin, Texas. Here's the URL of a relevant blog by the technology reporter of the local newspaper, the Austin American-Statesman:

http://www.austin360.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/digitalsavant/entries/2008/12/11/aisd_director_o.html

It's especially ironic for such an incident to have occurred in one of the leading cities for computer-oriented businesses in the USA.:(

tumbes2000
June 1st, 2011, 08:15 PM
Not so much Linux hate, more like why bother to learning a new system when you already know windows or OSX. That is usually what I have heard.

If you want to see a group of people that are wedded to Apple, talk to a graphic designer like my wife. She has been rocking Macs (about 15 years ) when they were as weird as Linux. Whats funny is that she had to use a PC at her last graphics job and it drove her insane so she finally got IT to let her bring in her Macbook to work on projects. If you want to talk to someone that hates windows it would be her.

What I have found with my company (one of the partners) is that many of our younger employees dont even know what file types are or how to find out even in Windows. I think for my generation that grew up with MS DOS using linux and the command line though unknown, is not frightening. For the generations that have grown up with Windows 2000 and up, more than likely they have never seen a command line or even run a command in 'Run". So when you discuss command lines and text based computing you can forget it. In some sense software has gotten so good that though generations are growing up with computers they do not understand computers or how they function. So for linux, that means a desktop OS has to be idiot proof like OSX to really get into the masses.

lykwydchykyn
June 1st, 2011, 08:20 PM
Every IT worker hangs his career around a set of technologies. If you want a job, you have to have relevant skills. You can't know EVERYTHING, so you pick areas that set you apart, and build your value as an employee on that.

What it comes down to then is that people aren't fighting for/against Windows/Linux/whatever in the workplace out of zealotry or fanboyism, they're fighting for their own relevance as a knowledge worker.

Every time we get a Linux server, the Linux-savvy employees become that much more valuable, and the rest become that much less so; and vice-versa.

Given how many IT people get started with Microsoft certs, this is more than likely where the hate comes from.

Laforge129
June 1st, 2011, 08:23 PM
I dunno. Apart from the fact that my work server running Linux has never crashed, I couldn't begin to imagine what the problems could be. Every other computer on the net work is WinXP/Vista/7 Professional something or other, but our IT person runs a Linux server. Result, everything works.

I have never gotten "hate," but I have heard, "what are you doing running that garbage." And I answer, "not crashing! What about you?"

Cute, I haven't gotten much response from people when they see me using Linux. Although in my IT field most of the people are Chinese, so I don't have to worry about what they say!!

rigel4
June 1st, 2011, 08:28 PM
Users tend to say they "hate " something , when the think it is difficult and it might make them look stupid.

Personally I think "windows" is making fools of them all.

A Windows IT Guy

Chronon
June 1st, 2011, 08:39 PM
Every IT worker hangs his career around a set of technologies. If you want a job, you have to have relevant skills. You can't know EVERYTHING, so you pick areas that set you apart, and build your value as an employee on that.

What it comes down to then is that people aren't fighting for/against Windows/Linux/whatever in the workplace out of zealotry or fanboyism, they're fighting for their own relevance as a knowledge worker.

Every time we get a Linux server, the Linux-savvy employees become that much more valuable, and the rest become that much less so; and vice-versa.

Given how many IT people get started with Microsoft certs, this is more than likely where the hate comes from.

I think this post cuts to the heart of the matter.

KiwiNZ
June 1st, 2011, 09:09 PM
"Hate" for OS's is more or less "fitting in with crowd" mentality be it anti Windows , OSX or Linux the human desire to be accepted by the crowd.

I have met folks (on here and off here) who have raged against OSX and never used it, the same with Linux and you now see it with Windows 8 of which I would guess 95% plus anti Win 8 folks have never touched it, not that far fetched it's not out yet but people rage against it.

timZZ
June 1st, 2011, 10:05 PM
Linux always for servers.

Would never switch. (based on the current options.)

disabledaccount
June 1st, 2011, 10:47 PM
Most of IT "specialist" are working as "helpdesk" - the average joe between IT guys - so what do You expect from them? Should they drop their MVP certificates to trashcan? - they affraid Linux (but also win7) like hell - different OS means that they have to learn a lot (again) - that's too hard, and will not raise their wages (in most cases).

Random_Dude
June 1st, 2011, 11:52 PM
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_la3kx9WWhR1qdrjj0o1_500.jpg

Old_Grey_Wolf
June 2nd, 2011, 12:07 AM

What you wrote is very accurate.

Fortunately, where I work we are split 50/50 between Microsoft and Linux OS and applications. The actual server count would be more like 90% Linux/10% Microsoft. Most of our servers, infrastructure, and data-center management applications run on Linux. Most of our software development is done on Linux. The workstations, accounting applications, scheduling applications, and project management applications run on Microsoft.

I don't see any Linux hate within my organization; however, I do see a lot of IT people trying to protect their jobs in other companies, or organizations within my own company.

The people I work with are mostly OS agnostic. They look at the business needs and design a solution to meet those needs. They use the OS and the applications needed to satisfy the business need.

It is funny to hear people working around me. They will be working with Microsoft OS or applications one moment complaining (explicatives included) about how they can't modify this-or-that; then, working with Linux based OS or applications a few hours later complaining (explicatives included) about how poor the documentation is.
:lolflag:

Ceiber Boy
June 2nd, 2011, 12:32 AM

Yep

sydbat
June 2nd, 2011, 03:23 PM
I can understand your skepticism, but the story happens to be true. It occurred in the Austin Independent School District, in Austin, Texas. Here's the URL of a relevant blog by the technology reporter of the local newspaper, the Austin American-Statesman:

http://www.austin360.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/digitalsavant/entries/2008/12/11/aisd_director_o.html

It's especially ironic for such an incident to have occurred in one of the leading cities for computer-oriented businesses in the USA.:(Blogs using other blogs as reference material does not make the story any more factual.

cyberhood
June 2nd, 2011, 07:52 PM

Good point!

I also think planned obsolescence (https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Planned_obsolescence) might have something to do with it. If it breaks (gets a virus, crashes, etc.) you pay a technician to fix it for you. Virus-ridden, unstable Microsoft® operating systems keep IT people and companies in business.

And along those same lines, GNU-Linux operating systems and forums like this one give the user the all tools and the knowledge they need to fix their own computer issues. Take my case for example. I knew very little about computers (or even maths and sciences for that matter), I was a pretty average user, deathly afraid of the command-line interface and thought that anyone who opened it up was some kind of hacker saving me -the damsel in distress- from whatever computer problem I had on that given day. Until one day I got a really nasty virus on my Windows® machine and decided that I'd had enough. I'd been researching GNU-Linux for a while and decided to give it a try. I had no one to show me how to install it or even use it. I was able to figure everything out by using forums like these and online video tutorials, all thanks to the sharing values of this awesome community. It took me a good two months to get everything up and running as I wanted it and feel comfortable with the GUI. Like someone mentioned earlier in this thread I started out with KDE because of the look and feel of Windows®. I later discovered that most of the time I was making things a whole lot harder than they actually were. Looking back (now I have years of GNU-Linux experience), it should have only taken me two weeks to be up and running, but I think because I was so convinced that it was going to be "so much harder" because of all the anti-Linux propaganda I'd always been fed that I always tried to get things done the hardest possible way. I later discovered all the shortcuts and now I'm pretty adept as a result of just playing around. It's been fun!

Like someone mentioned earlier in this thread, it would be interesting to see what inquisitive children would do if they had a choice early on.

BTW, I'm not a tech in the field so I can't say, but just about everything I've read on the topic says GNU-Linux operating systems dominate the server and super-computer market...

Dustin2128
June 2nd, 2011, 08:29 PM
BTW, I'm not a tech in the field so I can't say, but just about everything I've read on the topic says GNU-Linux operating systems dominate the server and super-computer market...
Yeah, hugely. something like 480 of the top 500 super computers run linux and I'm thinking 70%ish of the server market.

3Miro
June 2nd, 2011, 08:34 PM
Yeah, hugely. something like 480 of the top 500 super computers run linux and I'm thinking 70%ish of the server market.

The disparity in Supercomputers is even bigger when you go out of the top 500. Smaller clusters are almost exclusively Linux.

In servers you also get variation with the size. The larger the server, the more likely it is to run Linux.

lykwydchykyn
June 2nd, 2011, 09:17 PM
Good point!
Like someone mentioned earlier in this thread, it would be interesting to see what inquisitive children would do if they had a choice early on.

My kids have dual-booting computers. Basically their preferences are application-driven. They tend to use Linux more, but that's probably because finances and the age of their hardware limits us to using antique versions of Windows, and because we only use Windows for things that absolutely require it and have no alternatives.

That depends on what segment of the market you're dealing with. Where I work, most of the commercial vertical market applications we run or get pitched are written in .NET and use MS SQLserver on the backend. They *might* let you use Oracle as a backend, but that's about it.

OTOH, I do web development on the side, and pretty much every client I've had is using a Linux-based web server.

Aquix
June 2nd, 2011, 09:39 PM
My kids have dual-booting computers. Basically their preferences are application-driven. They tend to use Linux more, but that's probably because finances and the age of their hardware limits us to using antique versions of Windows, and because we only use Windows for things that absolutely require it and have no alternatives.

I have played guitar for 24 years or over 2/3 of my life, and at least one guitar have been with me on all my travels, so I have talked music with tons of people and discovered a pattern. People who where sent to music lessons with any instrument as a kid usually stopped playing at some point. People that, like me, learned playing on our own are all going strong. And it never fails, or i haven't found the exception.

I'm definitely not telling anyone how to raise their kids. I'm just telling about my experience :)

lykwydchykyn
June 2nd, 2011, 10:14 PM
I have played guitar for 24 years or over 2/3 of my life, and at least one guitar have been with me on all my travels, so I have talked music with tons of people and discovered a pattern. People who where sent to music lessons with any instrument as a kid usually stopped playing at some point. People that, like me, learned playing on our own are all going strong. And it never fails, or i haven't found the exception.

I'm definitely not telling anyone how to raise their kids. I'm just telling about my experience :)

You found one. I was trained in piano from 5-14, still playing.

Not sure what your point is.

Macskeeball
June 3rd, 2011, 01:01 AM
You found one. I was trained in piano from 5-14, still playing.

Me either. Maybe he replied in the wrong tab?

toupeiro
June 3rd, 2011, 02:38 AM
OP, If they don't like linux, maybe its because they lack any professional experience with it on par with their current exposure to OSes.

A few weeks ago I spend 2 days with a pretty senior Microsoft developer for Windows HPC and even they note the nice points of Linux servers.

People.Fear.What.They.Do.Not.Know.

Thewhistlingwind
June 3rd, 2011, 03:52 AM

His point (I think) was that someone who had Linux "forced" on them versus discovering it on their own won't stick with it.

I don't necessarily agree with it though.

Canis familiaris
June 3rd, 2011, 04:43 AM
Utter tosh! Okay, according to your ethics pirated software may be "ultimately wrong", but there's no reason why pirated software would crash any more often than its legit counterpart. Pirated software is usually a perfect copy of the legit version. Some pirated software may have been loaded with malware, but I think that's the exception rather than the rule. The only reason I'd say there's anything wrong with pirated software is because this site's CoC compels me to say so.
One word - Updates.

fpear
October 24th, 2011, 04:42 PM
The question "Why the Linux hate?" is one I have pondered as well. From my experience in talking to other people, I think one reason is that people are taught to hate Linux.

They hear others recite Linux opinions such as being "hard to use" so often that they eventually believe those opinions as gospel and recite them for themselves without actually trying Linux firsthand.

Another reason involves an age difference and teaching. During conversations with those in their mid-twenties and younger, people are surprisingly knowledgeable about Linux, and I have rarely encountered any hatred from them.
They like Linux in addition to Windows or OS X, they use it (either as a main OS or inside a virtual machine), and they can delve into surprising detail about the differences between GNOME 3 and Unity.

On the other hand, I have encountered fierce hostility and hatred towards Linux from the mid-twenties and older age group. The higher the age, the more intense the hatred. These people are also business owners, employers, and teachers--the ones who teach and hire the younger people--and these are the people whom I have seen and heard firsthand bash any form of Linux the most.

For example, I recall attending a computer class (without mentioning names or countries) where the professor admonished against mentioning Linux on a resume because "businesses view Linux as a toy operating system used by rebellious college kids who like to buck the system."

During a computer class assignment, I had to remove all references to Linux in order to receive a passing grade.

I also heard for myself another professor condemn the use of Apache because "IIS is more secure than Apache. People use Apache because it is free, and the only businesses that use it are small-time Mom and Pop stores who are too cheap to afford IIS."

Of course, few students in class question these statements because everyone assumes that the professor is right, and those that do only hear canned phrases such as "Linux is free" and "Linux is hard to use."

There is real pressure NOT to use Linux. Especially in the U.S. When in that country, I tend to notice that not many people know much about Linux-based distributions and those that do are older, business-oriented people who scowl at the mention of it.

As for dealing with people who dislike Linux, I just handle the situation gracefully and let others use what they like. People who already have their minds made up cannot be convinced of anything, and an argument is not worth the time or lack of peace.

In the end, Linux is an OS people either love or hate. So, in conclusion, from what I have seen, the younger folks seem to like Linux and its popularity is spreading among them, but their ambitions are dampened by the existing authorities who possess money, power, and influence.

JayKay3OOO
October 24th, 2011, 06:10 PM
I have to agree, I know a fair amount about Linux and feel as happy in Windows as I do in Linux, same goes for Windows / Linux server as they are both (fairly similar) i.e the fundamental underpinnings of the services that you wish to run do similar things on both platforms.

To me switching between Linux and Windows is similar to switching between left and right hand drive cars. The end result is the same, but the controls are a little different.

Anyway, I have been for job interviews and I state Linux and they do seem to question it and it never seems to win me any points. Most job applications state Windows Server so I often feel forced to learn Windows and have Windows 7 sitting in a VM in Ubuntu with a small Linux home server with windows 2003 server sitting... yep, you guess it... ...in a VM on ubuntu.

If I'm honest I only found out about Linux about 5 years ago and it seemed harder to use then. Perhaps it was... the GUI side of Linux has leaped forward a lot since I first saw it.

I think 'old school' Linux is frightening to long time Windows users and their views have been tainted.

I've got friends who ask what I use and I state Windows and they assume it's rubbish because it's free. I always come up against "It must be rubbish because it's free", which I find quite irritating.

Other friends use to use Linux, but went back to windows to become pro in Windows because that's what employers seem to want.

Something I did for almost a year before this most recent version of Ubuntu came out (like it too much to switch back to w7 now)

My guess is that people who understand computers understand Linux, the older generation who were not subject to such high tech when they were young were more highly influenced by Windows and so that's what they feel safe using. They accept the price of Windows because they (may) be afraid of moving over to something they refuse to understand or deem the re-working of their server architecture too time consuming to migrate to Linux. Their admin might be a MS MVP with no Linux knowledge or they might fear the finding of a Linux pro too time consuming.

Where I went to university we had a lab of Linux machines, but I often spoke to the technical support team who said that their Linux servers were often a bigger headache than their Windows ones. The majority of the Uni thus running on Windows Server.

I've been in the Windows Loving, hating Linux camp so I get it & it has taken me a while really feel at home with Linux.

While I don't hate Windows, I have decided that I enjoy using my computer the most with Linux on it and I find my server easier to admin on Linux than in Windows so Linux is my tool of choice.

johnnybgoode83
October 24th, 2011, 07:16 PM
I wouldn't say it was Linux hate as opposed to Linux ignorance.

It goes back to what people are taught in school/college where it is all Windows they are exposed to and they don't get exposed to the benefits of Linux early on.

Mikeb85
October 24th, 2011, 07:27 PM
My father works in IT (and has since before Linux existed) and pretty much summed up why he uses Windows on his servers. Microsoft provides an easy to use OS with easy to use tools, and gives companies a pretty good deal on the whole setup. Not to mention, learning Linux would take alot of time and energy, and for his particular level of server traffic, Windows does the trick. Also, if you want Linux support, then the cost is about on par with Windows licenses (operational costs are debatable). And indeed amongst companies like the one my father works for, Windows server is the most popular...

Linux is more popular for very high-traffic operations (like social networking sites, search engines, etc...).

As for the 'hate', I think much of it has to do with unfamiliarity, and maybe a bad experience here and there.

Retlol
October 24th, 2011, 08:45 PM
I've recently begun a new career in IT and I've noticed a general disdain for Linux both as a Server OS and a Desktop OS. Now, maybe it's because I'm new to this field and haven't met a whole lot of other IT folks yet, but I wonder why this view of Linux being hard to use and unstable exists?

Admittedly, I only have experience with Linux on the desktop, so is Linux as a server OS really _that_ much harder to use than Windows Server?

TLDR; does anyone else experience Linux hate in the IT workspace? If so, what is your method of handling it as a Linux fan?

Those guys are going to love Windows Server 8, or however it's called.

It comes with no GUI. lol

frotzed
October 24th, 2011, 08:55 PM
Those guys are going to love Windows Server 8, or however it's called.

It comes with no GUI. lol

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-8-server-screenshots--what039s-new

There will be a GUI.

a2j
October 25th, 2011, 02:22 PM
ignorance. its not that hard to understand that when people talk negative about Linux/UNIX, they don't know what they are talking about. that is why they hate. it is a good OS that comes at no cost, and actually works, unlike others.