PDA

View Full Version : Formats that you wish would die

Dustin2128
June 1st, 2011, 03:03 AM
What are some file formats that you wish would die a horrible, painful, yet fast death from the internet. Here are mine: all MSO formats and .rar

Copper Bezel
June 1st, 2011, 03:11 AM
.swf, .docx, .pptx, .abw.

Simian Man
June 1st, 2011, 03:14 AM
.deb

blah...
June 1st, 2011, 03:15 AM
.deb.exe :)

krapp
June 1st, 2011, 03:16 AM
.deb

Them's fighting words.

NovaAesa
June 1st, 2011, 03:16 AM
those darn .jpg files always get me :(

ctrlmd
June 1st, 2011, 03:21 AM
.rm media format .flv

rg4w
June 1st, 2011, 03:27 AM
.csv

Thewhistlingwind
June 1st, 2011, 03:32 AM
How many am I allowed to kill? There'd be a long list, but my top two are:

1. The mp* set of file formats, these would never die without magical intervention.

2. .doc* and the other MS word formats. (Including that funky exported HTML, but thats not a file format.)

silex89
June 1st, 2011, 03:38 AM
.wmv :@

ikt
June 1st, 2011, 03:46 AM
.wmv :@

.asf

Hwæt
June 1st, 2011, 04:04 AM
.deb

Only if it got replaced by .package in EVERY Linux distribution.

Anyways: .mpX,.wmv, .rpm, .pdf, .doc, .xls, .cpp, .hpp, .cs

krapp
June 1st, 2011, 04:06 AM
Only if it got replaced by .package in EVERY Linux distribution.

Anyways: .mpX,.wmv, .rpm, .pdf, .doc, .xls, .cpp, .hpp, .cs

Hands off my .deb.

Oh and kill .doc/.docx.

Dustin2128
June 1st, 2011, 04:11 AM
.wmv
+9001

8_Bit
June 1st, 2011, 04:22 AM
JPG - png > jpg

BMP - file size is bigger than my mom. Noobs on forums put bmp's in their signatures and make the page load slow.

MOV - crappy quality, also requires Quicktime *shudder*

WMV - see above. I hate WM Player

DOC / DOCX - do I even need to say why?

ZIP - 7z and RAR are infinitely better

Canis familiaris
June 1st, 2011, 04:24 AM
.DOC, .XLS, .PPT, .DOCX, .XLSX,. .PPTX, .MOV, .SWF, .WMV, .FLV, and most of all .EXE.

KiwiNZ
June 1st, 2011, 05:27 AM
.rpm,

dinamic1
June 1st, 2011, 05:47 AM
.unity

Bandit
June 1st, 2011, 06:16 AM
.asf

+1

ilovelinux33467
June 1st, 2011, 06:47 AM
.deb

FlameReaper
June 1st, 2011, 06:53 AM
.flac

Just to anger audiophiles. :P

Zerocool Djx
June 1st, 2011, 07:31 AM
definitly zip, 7z, and RAR. ISO is the way to go. We really don't need compression these days as bandwidth and memory are pretty good these days.

vehemoth
June 1st, 2011, 07:35 AM
.mp3, .aac and .wma. Other propriety formats. Especially if the free alternative format is better quality.

amauk
June 1st, 2011, 07:46 AM
Any format that changes but keeps the same extension (or, even worse, the same magic number)

MS document files are horrid for this
Every single iteration of the .doc file format (from MS Word 6 up to 2003) uses the same magic number / mime info

Stuff that does this needs to die

8_Bit
June 1st, 2011, 08:03 AM
definitly zip, 7z, and RAR. ISO is the way to go. We really don't need compression these days as bandwidth and memory are pretty good these days.

Not everyone is that fortunate. Some people are stuck with throttling ISPs and bandwidth limits.

You also can't password-protect an ISO.

For Linux distributions, ISO is probably better than having to wait for decompression to finish.
But in any other situation I'd prefer 7z or RAR.

I once downloaded a file that was over 600 MB in raw ISO format, but 7z compression shrunk that down to less than 50 MB! It's really amazing. :D

Macskeeball
June 1st, 2011, 08:03 AM
RealPlayer and Stuffit (.sit), though both of those do seem to be pretty much dead already.

krapp
June 1st, 2011, 08:07 AM
RealPlayer and Stuffit (.sit), though both of those do seem to be pretty much dead already.

.sit used to be really big on Macs a handful of years ago... what happened?

Legendary_Bibo
June 1st, 2011, 08:18 AM
.h

Macskeeball
June 1st, 2011, 08:25 AM
.sit used to be really big on Macs a handful of years ago... what happened?

Zip compression ended up being built into the Finder in either 10.2 (Jaguar) or 10.3 (Panther). So .zip and .dmg (disk image, similar idea to .iso) are now the norm for distributing things on the Mac, and they have been for several years. It's been ages since I've seen a .sit file.

Edit: According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_Panther#End-user_features), zip support was added to the Finder in Panther.

slackthumbz
June 1st, 2011, 10:21 AM

Sorry but I'm going to have to call you out on that one. We DO need compression formats, the problem is that you're only looking at this from an end user perspective. Think about it from the perspective of the content distributor who's dishing out petabytes of data per day. Bandwidth costs them money and any thing that reduces those overheads is extremely welcome.

RoflHaxBbq
June 1st, 2011, 10:35 AM
I think this should be changed to formats that you wish wouldn't die.

# rm -f ALLFORMATS

the only ones to keep are:

PNG
DEB
MPEG (All of them)
DDS (Who doesn't like games?)
7Z
DOCX

dattaway
June 1st, 2011, 10:37 AM
.jar

I created an account just for this. But Oracle has already mortally wounded it.

lisati
June 1st, 2011, 10:39 AM
.csv

+10^6 for a non-standard standard in the context of internet banking.

jhonan
June 1st, 2011, 10:53 AM
+10^6 for a non-standard standard in the context of internet banking.
You mean when a comma separated csv is actually tab separated ?

(Even though tab separated is much easier to work with IMO) - So replace .CSV with .TSV!

cracker89
June 1st, 2011, 11:01 AM
Most of the windows formats. Espicially the new office one's.

And .rmv

Grenage
June 1st, 2011, 11:01 AM
Most of the time, rar/zips aren't used to compress data, they are used to allow data to span multiple files. If a connection dies halfway through a 10+GB file, you'll likely curse. Sure, most applications can resume, but you don't have to take the chance with separate files.

Lucradia
June 1st, 2011, 11:16 AM
MP3, RAR, TIFF, BMP, TGA, MOV (Use MP4 Instead), MPEG/MPG (Again, Use MP4 Instead), ZIP, PLS, WMA, WMV, PSD and XCF (Switch to an open format that isn't limited to one program: IE, OPF or something), XPS, PDF, DOC (All of them), JAR, Java Files, VB, DLL, TTF, FLA, SWF, FLV, APNG (PNG with an animation layer.)

Many more (Real Media, any playlist format). But as for MP3, MP3 will be fully open in 2018, as patents for the last portion of it will expire.

johnnybgoode83
June 1st, 2011, 11:21 AM
Most of the time, rar/zips aren't used to compress data, they are used to allow data to span multiple files. If a connection dies halfway through a 10+GB file, you'll likely curse. Sure, most applications can resume, but you don't have to take the chance with separate files.

^ +10000000 for me. I cannot tell you the number of times I have cursed a blue streak because of this.

RoflHaxBbq
June 1st, 2011, 11:48 AM
@Lucradia

Technically, MPEG is a codec. MP4 is short for MPEG-4 Layer 4, just as MP3 is short for MPEG-4 Layer 3.

lisati
June 1st, 2011, 12:17 PM
You mean when a comma separated csv is actually tab separated ?

(Even though tab separated is much easier to work with IMO) - So replace .CSV with .TSV!

When I first used internet banking and wanted to make my own program for analyzing transaction data, that's exactly what I did. I switched to TSV, after realizing that some transactions downloaded from the bank I used at the time occasionally included a comma in one of the data fields. In the absence of quotes (as used in some versions of CSV) it made parsing the file interesting. And then if you switch banks, as I have done, the way the data is (are?) organized can change.... :(

Parsing the OFX family of formats is another story altogether, where it pays to ignore line breaks completely and let the processing be tag driven. (I first learned programming 30+ years ago on machines using punched cards: old habits like reading a file one record or line at a time sometimes don't work so well.)
<waffle ends>

jre6
June 1st, 2011, 12:21 PM
Formats that should be perhaps "murdered" : all the OOXML formats :
docx,docm,xlsx,xlsm,pptx,pptm,ppsm,potm,dotx,dotm

RiceMonster
June 1st, 2011, 01:07 PM
.deb
.m4a
.wmv/.wma
.bmp
.mov
.flv
.7z

Spice Weasel
June 1st, 2011, 01:31 PM
.deb
.rar
.flv / .swf
.wmv
.m4a
.bmp

user1397
June 1st, 2011, 01:57 PM
so to all those that wish .deb to die, what is your main reason and what would you want it to be replaced with?

Thewhistlingwind
June 1st, 2011, 02:01 PM
so to all those that wish .deb to die, what is your main reason and what would you want it to be replaced with?

Their joking that they wish that debian would give up/die and use .package or .RPM

Hence "Them's fighting words."

marios88
June 1st, 2011, 02:26 PM
.docx
.xlsx
.gif
.flv

kaldor
June 1st, 2011, 02:35 PM
All proprietary formats that do not work well without buying software. Nothing annoys me more with technology than when a family member or friend emails me an attached file with some obscure extension specific to that one program they use. Due to their computer skills not being great, they will often try to tell me either "your computer is broken" or "just use SoftwareX". In the past, it used to be certain Apple files that a Mac using friend used to send me. I forget the format, but I could never get them to work. He'd always say "get a Mac then" instead of sending it in a normal format. Older family members still send me Greeting Cards they make, and I have to explain that I can't open certain files without their software. Really annoying to deal with.

I can live with stuff like .docx and .doc. They're standard, and LibreOffice opens them nicely enough. It's just those really pointless formats that often require trial/commercial software that annoy me.

Spice Weasel
June 1st, 2011, 03:00 PM

More people have said that they wish for .rpm to die so far, which is strange, since most of them are the same people that complain about not following standards.

Catraphact
June 1st, 2011, 03:12 PM
I dream that one day MS Office will switch to open document formats by default. The majority of users would not even notice.

Ah well. Just a dream.

While I'm at it, ogg should replace Mp3 and anything to do with Adobe flash replaced by HTML5 video.

And pigs can fly.

Macskeeball
June 1st, 2011, 03:13 PM
@Lucradia

Technically, MPEG is a codec. MP4 is short for MPEG-4 Layer 4, just as MP3 is short for MPEG-4 Layer 3.

Actually, That should be MPEG 1 (or 2) layer 3 for MP3.

Simian Man
June 1st, 2011, 03:16 PM

It's a non-standard format competing with an established standard, rpm.
It's needlessly complicated to work, especially when building packages.
It sill lacks features like delta updates.
Did I mention it was non-standard?

Zerocool Djx
June 1st, 2011, 03:25 PM
Sorry but I'm going to have to call you out on that one. We DO need compression formats, the problem is that you're only looking at this from an end user perspective. Think about it from the perspective of the content distributor who's dishing out petabytes of data per day. Bandwidth costs them money and any thing that reduces those overheads is extremely welcome.

Yea i guess your right on that point. But then I again, I have a website with unlimited traffic, bandwidth, and space hosted for less then $10 a month. If people have a legit decent product to sell they can afford that, lol, a kid working at McDonald's can afford that!

BrokenKingpin
June 1st, 2011, 03:28 PM
.rar - Why people are still using this format is beyond me.

BrokenKingpin
June 1st, 2011, 03:31 PM

It is only non-standard according to one group. Seeing as there are more distributions and people running deb based OSs, should .Deb be the standard?

To be honest I could not care less what the standard package format ends up being on Linux, I just wish all Distros could decide on the same one to simply packaging in general on Linux.

KingYaba
June 1st, 2011, 03:33 PM
should .Deb be the standard?

I think it should.

ezgo123
June 1st, 2011, 03:40 PM
.doc

psusi
June 1st, 2011, 03:42 PM

I don't think you understand the meaning of the word standard. Deb has been around longer, and is more widely used. That makes it pretty standard.

I too am confounded by why anyone ever used rar. And pdf, and flash for that matter. The world would be a much better place if craprobat and flash died.

ezgo123
June 1st, 2011, 03:42 PM
open office

Alecmon
June 1st, 2011, 03:43 PM
.doc* .deb, .rpm

infestor
June 1st, 2011, 03:43 PM
Xml

I'mGeorge
June 1st, 2011, 03:46 PM
.wmv, .ogg, .mov, .dwg, .msi, .mds, .nrg, .bmp

uRock
June 1st, 2011, 03:47 PM
Anything other than .mp3 for music, .doc for documents, .deb for softwares and .zip for file compression.

RiceMonster
June 1st, 2011, 03:47 PM
I don't think you understand the meaning of the word standard. Deb has been around longer, and is more widely used. That makes it pretty standard.

No it does not. rpm is specified as the standard by the Linux Stardards Base.

I'mGeorge
June 1st, 2011, 03:58 PM

Neither *.rpm or *.deb are standards. If you want something standard than that's *.bin , *.run , or installing from source.

Distributions specific packages can not be considered as standards, as they don't comply to all linux distributions.

polardude1983
June 1st, 2011, 04:02 PM
psd, ai, indd, doc, docx, rm, wmv.

Hwæt
June 1st, 2011, 04:04 PM
Neither *.rpm or *.deb are standards. If you want something standard than that's *.bin , *.run , or installing from source.

Distributions specific packages can not be considered as standards, as they don't comply to all linux distributions.

Why can't we just all get along and find a middle ground on what's the best format, like pacman's .pkg.tar.gz? :D

RiceMonster
June 1st, 2011, 04:05 PM

rpm as a package format is not distro specific. Yes, specific rpm packages are, however.

Why can't we just all get along and find a middle ground on what's the best format, like pacman's .pkg.tar.gz? :D

No package signing? No thank you.

Merk42
June 1st, 2011, 04:10 PM
.*

I'mGeorge
June 1st, 2011, 04:13 PM

Agreed I'm actually using Arch Linux as we speak.By the way pacman uses tar.xz

@ RiceMonster you cant call a standard something that works only for some linux distributions (RHEL, CentOS, Fedora, OpenSUSE etc) but it's not valid for all of them (Feora, Arch Linux, Slackware, Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo etc.).

Grenage
June 1st, 2011, 04:14 PM
Agreed I'm actually using Arch Linux as we speak.

@ RiceMonster you cant call a standard something that works only for some linux distributions (RHEL, CentOS, Fedora, OpenSUSE etc) but it's not valid for all of them.

I was always under the impression that the standard was whatever RHEL was using. ;)

RiceMonster
June 1st, 2011, 04:16 PM
Agreed I'm actually using Arch Linux as we speak.

@ RiceMonster you cant call a standard something that works only for some linux distributions (RHEL, CentOS, Fedora, OpenSUSE etc) but it's not valid for all of them (Feora, Arch Linux, Slackware, Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo etc.).

Then your problem is with the Linux Standards Base.

rpm can also be compiled on those distros you mentioned.

nidzo732
June 1st, 2011, 04:19 PM
.dll
.drm

handy
June 1st, 2011, 04:39 PM
They all serve a purpose before they die...

I'mGeorge
June 1st, 2011, 04:43 PM

I actually do, and I'm not the only one regarding the rpm matter

psusi
June 1st, 2011, 04:53 PM

So? Microsoft got the IETF to publish their Lanman file sharing protocol as a standard. That doesn't make NFS, webdav, ftp, or sshfs non standard.

Standard means that it is well defined, understood, and used by multiple parties. It does not mean only things approved by the LSB committee.

Simian Man
June 1st, 2011, 05:32 PM
Standard means that it is well defined, understood, and used by multiple parties. It does not mean only things approved by the LSB committee.

No that's a de facto standard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_facto_standard). Kind of like MP3, the MS Office formats, Flash and all of the rest of the things people here are bitching about.

Pogeymanz
June 1st, 2011, 05:38 PM
[...] the way the data is (are?) organized can change....[...]
<waffle ends>

Data is the plural, so you should say "the data are." Datum is the singular.

Hwæt
June 1st, 2011, 05:38 PM

None of the packages will work

Copper Bezel
June 1st, 2011, 07:39 PM
No that's a de facto standard. Kind of like MP3, the MS Office formats, Flash and all of the rest of the things people here are bitching about.

Exactly. If everyone was using .ogg and .odt, it'd be a much simpler world. I can't say I'm too concerned about .deb, because it doesn't have the practical disadvantages of the others, but if a standard exists, depending on something else is only going to cause problems.

However, the fact that .flv, .mp3, and the MS Office formats all create license issues is still a larger, less academic problem.

Edit: And I consciously use data as a mass noun. = P

psusi
June 1st, 2011, 07:42 PM
No that's a de facto standard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_facto_standard). Kind of like MP3, the MS Office formats, Flash and all of the rest of the things people here are bitching about.

You know that de facto literally means "in fact" right?

In typical usage, it refers to something that started out as not well described or understood ( i.e. unpublished proprietary format ), but that everyone ended up using anyway.

MS Office formats at least used to fit that definition, but MP3 is a codified standard published by the MPEG. You might not like it because of its patent encumbrance ( I prefer ogg myself ), but that does not make it any less of a standard.

laststop
June 1st, 2011, 07:47 PM
I'm surprised nobody said .gif

el_koraco
June 1st, 2011, 07:56 PM
I'm surprised nobody said .gif

omg, so very true! and more so, people using it should be tortured until it dies out. a purge.

Dustin2128
June 1st, 2011, 08:04 PM
omg, so very true! and more so, people using it should be tortured until it dies out. a purge.
Replace it with apng or kill the idea of animated images totally?

Copper Bezel
June 1st, 2011, 08:16 PM
It's infuriating when it's used in serious web design, but it can be put to fun uses in some contexts. I post at another discussion board where animated avatars are kind of the norm.

dozycat
June 1st, 2011, 08:22 PM
.pub

try to open that from linux.

laststop
June 1st, 2011, 08:25 PM
I'd vote for png/apng replacement. Animation itself can be turned off in a browser anyway.

It's just gif is way too old, probably older than www.

el_koraco
June 1st, 2011, 09:12 PM
Replace it with apng or kill the idea of animated images totally?

kill and eradicate it. leave no trace of the fact that animated images were ever used.

Chronon
June 1st, 2011, 09:19 PM
And pdf, and flash for that matter. The world would be a much better place if craprobat and flash died.

What's the problem with PDF? It's an open standard and has more widespread support than .ps. PDF != Acrobat. You can use pdflatex to build perfectly valid PDF files, for example.

KiwiNZ
June 1st, 2011, 09:23 PM
What's the problem with PDF? It's an open standard and has more widespread support than .ps. PDF != Acrobat. You can use pdflatex to build perfectly valid PDF files, for example.

Ageed

I just use 'Preview' on my Macs to open PDF's works great.

laststop
June 1st, 2011, 09:26 PM
kill and eradicate it. leave no trace of the fact that animated images were ever used.

Animation can be educational
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geneva_drive

It just doesn't have to be .gif

lisati
June 1st, 2011, 09:32 PM
Speaking of the .rar format:

I've seen the occasional thread here where someone has WinRar or similar installed on their Windows machine. A problem can arise from the temptation to unpack what appears to be an archive into its own folder before burning a downloaded disk image to CD or DVD.

Data is the plural, so you should say "the data are." Datum is the singular.

Exactly. In the early hours of the morning when I posted, the absence of adequate sleep and the coffee drunk at the time not having sufficient effect to aid the thought processes, the word "data" initially appeared like a singular noun relating to a group of objects, even though I should know better. :D

Simian Man
June 1st, 2011, 09:45 PM
You know that de facto literally means "in fact" right?
Yes I know my Latin roots :).

In typical usage, it refers to something that started out as not well described or understood ( i.e. unpublished proprietary format ), but that everyone ended up using anyway.
It refers to something that is commonly used, but not necessarily proprietary. OpenGL is an open standard but is the de facto standard in visualization software for example.

MS Office formats at least used to fit that definition, but MP3 is a codified standard published by the MPEG. You might not like it because of its patent encumbrance ( I prefer ogg myself ), but that does not make it any less of a standard.
The way mp3 files work is standardized, but that's not what I meant. I meant it's used as the de facto standard for lossy music encoding. I prefer ogg too, but few portable music players support it. They all support mp3 - to the point where we normally just call them "Mp3 Players". That's what a de facto standard is and that's what you were describing in your original post.

Legendary_Bibo
June 1st, 2011, 10:07 PM

I thought you could get the rpm stuff in synaptic so that you could install rpm on a deb system and vice versa. There's also alien.

Legendary_Bibo
June 1st, 2011, 10:10 PM

What about animated gifs? They're easy to make, and the only other animated image type I can think if is animated pngs and I just can't seem to get anything like gimp to be able to make one.

dozycat
June 1st, 2011, 10:21 PM
any format that is not open or available for work in linux.
Pub is only available in publisher from microsoft and sometimes only in the version used to create it.](*,)

Aquix
June 1st, 2011, 10:36 PM
Formats will die when we better standards, and it's much better now than it used to be. The 90's was a minefield of filetypes.

For those who complain about rar. If it's video then just install the unrar package and you can play the *.rar file in vlc, same as you can with iso files.

Throne777
June 1st, 2011, 10:39 PM
.aac
.rm/.rv
.m4v
.mov
.zip

rigel4
June 1st, 2011, 10:41 PM
.doze
/thread :D

el_koraco
June 1st, 2011, 10:42 PM
Animation can be educational
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geneva_drive

It just doesn't have to be .gif

gifs ruined it for me. My pain is constant and sharp and I do not hope for a better world for anyone.

el_koraco
June 1st, 2011, 10:43 PM
What about animated gifs? They're easy to make, and the only other animated image type I can think if is animated pngs and I just can't seem to get anything like gimp to be able to make one.

I just dread to imagine what your avatar would look like if UF was still allowing gifs.

Ceiber Boy
June 1st, 2011, 10:52 PM
All proprietary formats that do not work well without buying software. Nothing annoys me more with technology than when a family member or friend emails me an attached file with some obscure extension specific to that one program they use. Due to their computer skills not being great, they will often try to tell me either "your computer is broken" or "just use SoftwareX". In the past, it used to be certain Apple files that a Mac using friend used to send me. I forget the format, but I could never get them to work. He'd always say "get a Mac then" instead of sending it in a normal format. Older family members still send me Greeting Cards they make, and I have to explain that I can't open certain files without their software. Really annoying to deal with.

I can live with stuff like .docx and .doc. They're standard, and LibreOffice opens them nicely enough. It's just those really pointless formats that often require trial/commercial software that annoy me.

I agree fully.

Legendary_Bibo
June 1st, 2011, 10:57 PM
I just dread to imagine what your avatar would look like if UF was still allowing gifs.

About 5-10% of those are animated gifs.

Dustin2128
June 1st, 2011, 11:11 PM
gifs ruined it for me. My pain is constant and sharp and I do not hope for a better world for anyone.
http://udsm.webs.com/Animated-Flaming_Skull.gifwhy?http://udsm.webs.com/Animated-Flaming_Skull.gif

dozycat
June 1st, 2011, 11:13 PM
I agree fully.
I agree.

krapp
June 1st, 2011, 11:19 PM

:lolflag:

el_koraco
June 1st, 2011, 11:21 PM
why?

You know why, for every cool gif out there, there are thousands with sparkling flowers. The battle has been lost.

uRock
June 1st, 2011, 11:27 PM
One of my favorite .gifs http://omgcheesecake.net/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/DancingLock.gif

cgroza
June 1st, 2011, 11:28 PM
.*
Even .txt!?!?

Thewhistlingwind
June 1st, 2011, 11:29 PM
One of my favorite .gifs http://omgcheesecake.net/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/DancingLock.gif

Maybe it's just the tiger for an avatar, but was that a threat? I couldn't tell.:confused:

EDIT: Ocelot

Even .txt!?!?

Theres always magic numbers.........

Hwæt
June 2nd, 2011, 12:18 AM
Maybe it's just the tiger for an avatar, but was that a threat? I couldn't tell.:confused:

That's an Ocelot

jerenept
June 2nd, 2011, 01:13 AM

lolololololol :P do like http://omgcheesecake.net/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/wizard.gif

I would really like it if .deb and .rpm died. We should use something standardised, like .pkg or .soft and all the distros should be binary- and package-compatible

Dustin2128
June 2nd, 2011, 01:19 AM
You know why, for every cool gif out there, there are thousands with sparkling flowers. The battle has been lost.
I'm just messing with you with classic geocities flaming skulls.

zealibib slaughter
June 2nd, 2011, 01:23 AM
.qcp and any other stupid mobile format that is impossible to convert.

Copper Bezel
June 2nd, 2011, 01:25 AM

You know, at that other discussion board I mentioned, I use this (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17749392/mayor2.gif) one.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17749392/mayor2.gif

Giraffemonster
June 2nd, 2011, 01:48 AM
.wav, .mp3, and .aac especially. This would be mostly in the hopes of making the .ogg format more popular. Licensing issues make programs like audacity not able to supply their own codecs for .mp3s, this also applies for Rhythmbox's "preferred format" preference. Additionally, .ogg's being more popular would make many more mp3/mp4 players compatible with the format.

I don't like .wmv or .flv either. They can go too. Also .bmp.

Also, only semi-related, does anyone know why there are so many archive formats? I'm not just talking about the formats like .rar or 7z, but also the less commonly known ones like .cab.

Bandit
June 2nd, 2011, 02:02 AM
I agree..

Legendary_Bibo
June 2nd, 2011, 02:13 AM
.wav, .mp3, and .aac especially. This would be mostly in the hopes of making the .ogg format more popular. Licensing issues make programs like audacity not able to supply their own codecs for .mp3s, this also applies for Rhythmbox's "preferred format" preference. Additionally, .ogg's being more popular would make many more mp3/mp4 players compatible with the format.

I don't like .wmv or .flv either. They can go too. Also .bmp.

Also, only semi-related, does anyone know why there are so many archive formats? I'm not just talking about the formats like .rar or 7z, but also the less commonly known ones like .cab.

.cab is used in PC games mostly from what I've seen. Maybe it's better for archiving 3D stuff??

Legendary_Bibo
June 2nd, 2011, 02:13 AM
You know, at that other discussion board I mentioned, I use this (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17749392/mayor2.gif) one.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17749392/mayor2.gif

Obligatory brohoof! :P

krapp
June 2nd, 2011, 02:31 AM
Even .txt!?!?

I am not entirely sure, but .txt seems to be a useless format. Whereas doing away with .* leaves you with real plain text. The guy has a point!

Legendary_Bibo
June 2nd, 2011, 02:47 AM
I am not entirely sure, but .txt seems to be a useless format. Whereas doing away with .* leaves you with real plain text. The guy has a point!

I hate how notepad can't read Linux's plain text documents (the ones without an extension that open just fine on gedit). It works once I add the the txt extension, but a lot of times it may look wonky.

Copper Bezel
June 2nd, 2011, 03:03 AM
Obligatory brohoof! :P
= )

I hate how notepad can't read Linux's plain text documents (the ones without an extension that open just fine on gedit). It works once I add the the txt extension, but a lot of times it may look wonky.
Windows and windows applications trust the extension. That's just how it works in the Windows universe. And for ASCII text files, Linux and Windows use different line-ending, though gedit can save to both.

Anyway, why are you using Notepad? Gedit works on Windows, too. = )

Quadunit404
June 2nd, 2011, 03:35 AM

Gedit does?!

*Verifies*

<jaw drop here> (http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/binaries/win32/gedit/2.30/gedit-setup-2.30.1-1.exe)

btw, Bibo, it is possible to open files without an extension in Notepad; you just have to tell Windows to open the file with Notepad. I've done it with various .gtkrcs before :P

Legendary_Bibo
June 2nd, 2011, 03:39 AM
= )

Windows and windows applications trust the extension. That's just how it works in the Windows universe. And for ASCII text files, Linux and Windows use different line-ending, though gedit can save to both.

Wow. I didn't know that. I love that Gedit has a bunch of default features (color coding, I know it's pathetic, but when you edit a lot of .xml files this is a god send) that notepad doesn't have. Yeah I could get notepad++, or whatever, but I didn't really like it.

Gedit feels just as simple as notepad, but far much more feature rich.

Dustin2128
June 2nd, 2011, 04:18 AM
Wow. I didn't know that. I love that Gedit has a bunch of default features (color coding, I know it's pathetic, but when you edit a lot of .xml files this is a god send) that notepad doesn't have. Yeah I could get notepad++, or whatever, but I didn't really like it.

syntax highlighting I think is what you're talking about. It's hardly pathetic, every real text editor (minus vi, vim has it though) has it- indispensable for large projects.

murderslastcrow
June 2nd, 2011, 05:46 AM
Mp3, plain and simple. We need more quality for our MBs. Luckily it's not so hard to encode and save mp3s to oggs, although it's time-consuming to do it the right way. Also, every media player with a screen but without an Apple on it will play ogg these days, so hopefully this goes away sooner than later.

I hope the iPad and Windows 8 and Gnome 3 and all this new stuff gets people in the mood to embrace even more high quality technology and make things a bit better for everyone.

LowSky
June 2nd, 2011, 08:44 AM
Mp3, plain and simple. We need more quality for our MBs. Luckily it's not so hard to encode and save mp3s to oggs, although it's time-consuming to do it the right way. Also, every media player with a screen but without an Apple on it will play ogg these days, so hopefully this goes away sooner than later.

I hope the iPad and Windows 8 and Gnome 3 and all this new stuff gets people in the mood to embrace even more high quality technology and make things a bit better for everyone.

My car plays mp3, doesn't play ogg.

I get there are better formats, but mp3 is the journeyman of formats. No DRM, universally accepted, and in the days of Terabytes takes up little if any space on a hard drive. Heck these days we could move back to wav and it wouldn't be a space issue.

Bandit
June 2nd, 2011, 08:58 AM

Do enough programming. Color coding is a life saver..

el_koraco
June 2nd, 2011, 09:07 AM
You know, at that other discussion board I mentioned, I use

Luckily for me, Midori has trouble rendering gifs. Talk about a bug one can appreciate.

FlameReaper
June 2nd, 2011, 09:41 AM
What happens if you kill something that's the very basis of Linux...

.c
.h
.o
.cpp

... etc.

Legendary_Bibo
June 2nd, 2011, 09:54 AM
Luckily for me, Midori has trouble rendering gifs. Talk about a bug one can appreciate.

Midori sucks. If you go on a page that even has a little bit of flash it crashes.

cheapie
June 2nd, 2011, 09:57 AM
application/x-ms-dos-executable
application/x-rar
image/gif
image/png
video/mpeg
application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.sheet
image/vnd.microsoft.icon
text/x-cmake (but mostly CMake in general)
application/rtf
image/bmp
video/mp2t

I'mGeorge
June 2nd, 2011, 10:11 AM
I remember the time when I was using .arj for archives. I believe that's a dead one already

Primefalcon
June 2nd, 2011, 10:24 AM
.rm, I hate them

t0p
June 2nd, 2011, 11:16 AM
.doc, .docx, and other formats that Microsoft try to push as "standards".

Recently, I've been using .rtf a lot. Anyone here hate .rtf? Why do you feel this hatred?

EDIT: OMG, five seconds with Wikipedia and I learnt that .rtf is a Microsoft proprietary format! Ye Goddess! I'm gonna find something else to use, purely based on my irrational hatred of Microsoft...

el_koraco
June 2nd, 2011, 12:33 PM
Midori sucks. If you go on a page that even has a little bit of flash it crashes.

not the latest one.

Grenage
June 2nd, 2011, 12:41 PM
.doc, .docx, and other formats that Microsoft try to push as "standards".

Recently, I've been using .rtf a lot. Anyone here hate .rtf? Why do you feel this hatred?

EDIT: OMG, five seconds with Wikipedia and I learnt that .rtf is a Microsoft proprietary format! Ye Goddess! I'm gonna find something else to use, purely based on my irrational hatred of Microsoft...

ODF for the win, etc.

Copper Bezel
June 2nd, 2011, 02:19 PM
For the less Win, I think. = ) But I use .odt when convenient. There's a lot more formatting information than is in .rtf, and it's just as MS-Office-readable.

psusi
June 2nd, 2011, 03:17 PM
lolololololol :P do like http://omgcheesecake.net/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/wizard.gif

I would really like it if .deb and .rpm died. We should use something standardised, like .pkg or .soft and all the distros should be binary- and package-compatible

And everyone should have PONIES!

Heh, seriously, you know that isn't possible right? It's like asking for 100% bug free software everywhere from now on.

.cab is used in PC games mostly from what I've seen. Maybe it's better for archiving 3D stuff??

CAB is microsoft's rip-off of zip. It is *almost* exactly the same thing.