PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] pidgin integration in unity

mejo
June 1st, 2011, 02:02 AM
Hello,

Today I tried to setup pidgin at my fresh ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal system. Unfortunately I didn't find a solution to integrate Pidgin into the unity desktop.

I didn't manage to add the tray icon to the unity tray. According to google, the following should do the trick:

$ gsettings set com.canonical.Unity.Panel systray-whitelist "['JavaEmbeddedFrame', 'Mumble', 'Wine', 'Skype', 'hp-systray', 'scp-dbus-service', 'pidgin']"Unfortunately it didn't change anything. The Pidgin tray icon is still missing.

Now I'm wondering whether there's a solution to integrate Pidgin into unity at all. My unity tray includes the letter icon, which lists Pidgin in a submenu. And it contains the instant messenger icon. Here I can change my status, but when I select 'Chat-Accounts' (in german: Chat-Konten), Empathy is started instead of Pidgin.

Greetings,
jonas

Vesukka
July 23rd, 2011, 06:07 PM
I changed 'pidgin' to 'Pidgin' and got the tray icon after I ran command 'unity --replace'.

hyperair
October 25th, 2011, 11:33 AM
This is a bit late, but if you install pidgin-libnotify, you'll get a Pidgin entry in the messaging menu.

pabloab777
January 4th, 2012, 02:44 AM
I had already iinstalled pidgin-libnotify (dpkg -l |grep pidgin-libnotify) but Pidgin still was not on tray, Y had to:

gsettings set com.canonical.Unity.Panel systray-whitelist "['JavaEmbeddedFrame', 'Mumble', 'Wine', 'Skype', 'hp-systray', 'scp-dbus-service', 'Pidgin']"
unity --replace &

to have it. Pidgin remains on Launcher when minimized, but disappears but remains resident when "closed" with the x, forcing me to "killall pidgin". Sometimes even LibreOfficeCalc disappear from Launcher!

I'm also trying with tilt2, a taskbar... :S

$ unity --version
unity 4.24.0
$ pidgin --version
Pidgin 2.10.0 (libpurple 2.10.0)

hyperair
January 4th, 2012, 04:45 AM
Did you enable the plugin (Tools->Plugins)? A pidgin entry should appear in the messaging indicator.

jxj
January 16th, 2012, 01:08 PM
gsettings set com.canonical.Unity.Panel systray-whitelist "['JavaEmbeddedFrame', 'Mumble', 'Wine', 'Skype', 'hp-systray', 'scp-dbus-service', 'pidgin']"

ok. but how can i undo this?

hyperair
January 16th, 2012, 04:14 PM
gsettings reset com.canonical.Unity.Panel systray-whitelist

Or alternatively, you can navigate to com.canonical.Unity.Panel in dconf-editor, click on systray-whitelist, and click reset.

grooverider
January 31st, 2012, 07:35 PM
indeed this command worked for me:

gsettings set com.canonical.Unity.Panel systray-whitelist "['JavaEmbeddedFrame', 'Mumble', 'Wine', 'Skype', 'hp-systray', 'scp-dbus-service', 'Pidgin']"
then i rebooted as first time when i tried with
unity --replace i got some errors and my desktop was not responding, this is by the way on ubuntu 11.10/gnome 3.2.1/kernel 3.0.0-14-generic