PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Latest updates causes software center to not work

Pilot22
June 1st, 2011, 01:42 AM
Does anyone else have this problem?
I have installed Ubuntu 11.04 on several computers, and have had no problems that I was not able to find an answer to on these forums or through google. Until today. I installed on a laptop that had been running Windows 7, and when it installed it worked fine. As soon as I let the update manager run, I started having problems. From the terminal I ran sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras and it locked up at the True Type font installer. I then tried using Software Center, and received errors. (I can not remember the actual errors, and that laptop is at at my office, so I can not check it.) I tried Synaptic package manager and it downloaded and installed the package. I then attempted to run sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh (yes I was attempting to be able to play DVD's that we had burned on a DVD recorder at work) and I get the message that I do not have the correct codecs installed. When I attempted to reinstall the package, it shows up as already installed.
On all the other systems, this is not a problem, but I have not ran the update manager. I am actually a bit afraid to as I can not install ANY apps on the one system where I have run the update manager. I received the same error even when attempting to install small games, or any other app.
Any ideas?