PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Testing KDE- will it mess up gnome

Purplerob
June 1st, 2011, 01:19 AM
I want to try KDE, I think I might like it. But I don't want it if it will interfere with gnome and unity. So, if I install the kubuntu-desktop package will it affect my computer. Also, if I don't like it how can I remove kde %100 with nothing remaining?

dFlyer
June 1st, 2011, 01:24 AM
I have not used KDE for many years. But back in the 90's when I tried it, most distros installed both kde and gnome in a standard install. I don't see how it can hurt gnome. As far as removing it, someone else will have to help you there.

Purplerob
June 1st, 2011, 01:41 AM
Thanks,
does anyone know about removal?

blauendonau
June 1st, 2011, 01:50 AM
Thanks,
does anyone know about removal?

If you follow the instructions at this link you should be able to remove Kubuntu (or most of the other DEs) and return to a clean GNOME/Unity without problems.

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/puregnome

In my experience, there may be slight inconsistencies in GNOME when you run other DEs alongside it but they don't affect performance and can usually be corrected easily. Do be prepared to have your menus cluttered up a bit because you will have both KDE and GNOME applications installed.

Purplerob
June 1st, 2011, 01:52 AM
Thanks! I'm installing KDE right now!

Purplerob
June 1st, 2011, 02:13 AM
new problem: the option to log in on gdm for kde/kubuntu is missing. Does anyone have the kubuntu login file for the /usr/share/xsessions directory.

hhh
June 1st, 2011, 02:31 AM
Use one of the existing .desktop files as a template by opening it in a text editor and saving it as kde.desktop . Then change the "Name" field to "KDE Session" (without quotes) and the Exec field to startkde .