PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] just stops after cyclons appear

DouglasAdams
May 31st, 2011, 10:45 PM
booted 11.04 from pendrive.
copied hd to usb drives and ran my life for 3 days.
formatted my hd, guid (was mbr), setup my preferred partitions
i.e. boot, root, home, 3 data partitions plus a swap.
tried swap at start of drive and at end - same problem.
install with with all updates worked fine but when i rebooted it stops just after the cylons 1st appear.
tried doing hard rest but same stop.
any thoughts please?

the only strange thing during the install was that when i was manually allocating partitions i was unable to specify my data drives as i could not type in the mount point box,
e.g.
in the mount point box i usually enter:

/home/data1 etc

i'd love to know why this has changed ... besides why my machine now won't boot

linuxinstalledfromhdd
May 31st, 2011, 11:47 PM
When the cyclons appear out of nowhere like that, it's best to reinstall everything.

here is a nice guide:

http://cinderbox.net/2010/12/23/to-do-list-after-installing-ubuntu-10-10-aka-maverick-meerkat/

wojox
May 31st, 2011, 11:53 PM
You installed okay and updated okay but when you rebooted it fell apart and hung on the cyclon?

DouglasAdams
June 1st, 2011, 03:24 PM
You installed okay and updated okay but when you rebooted it fell apart and hung on the cyclon?
correct

DouglasAdams
June 2nd, 2011, 11:58 AM
When the cyclons appear out of nowhere like that, it's best to reinstall everything.

here is a nice guide:

http://cinderbox.net/2010/12/23/to-do-list-after-installing-ubuntu-10-10-aka-maverick-meerkat/

yes, it's a lovely guide
and very well presented too
and i adore the pun ... and graphics

small problem, isn't your guide for 10.10?
i'm trying to move to 11.04
am i missing something?
or are you suggesting installing 10.10 then upgrading to 11.04?
sorry but i thought that the general concensus was that a "clean" install was preferable ...

DouglasAdams
June 2nd, 2011, 12:05 PM

plus

i have just tried it again and noticed that the cyclons moved very quickly - far quicker than is normal.

plus

after the cyclons have been infected by "the smallest things known to man" (homage to HG) and died,
there is a little disk activity. it is after quite a long wait and it's only one quick access but that cycle does seem to repeat (i didn't think of timing the wait but i would guess it was between 7 and 12 seconds).

DouglasAdams
June 2nd, 2011, 12:10 PM
i don't know if this is pertinent but, while i was running on the pen drive that i did the install of 11.04 from i received the following error message:

ERR0602 - Problem in ubiquity - The problem cannot be reported: This is not a genuine Ubuntu package

(see attached)

does that message make any sense to anyone please?