PDA

View Full Version : Best look/theme for ubuntu? Which works for you?

jrozo17
May 31st, 2011, 09:48 PM
So pretty much I've never installed a theme other than the default Ubuntu OS ones.. and I don't know where to start. I'm just bored with the overall feel I guess.

So my question is... What theme are you using? And are there any programs running along it?(dock, etc) And what do you think, from experience, is the best theme?

I personally liked the orange look from earlier releases of Ubuntu and hated it when it changed.

I have Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. :)

Dry Lips
May 31st, 2011, 09:54 PM
I use Orta + the faenza icons. It does look a little Mac-ish, though! ;)

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Orta?content=134123&PHPSESSID=b529d04dbf6aefb6cac0067764c0b5ac

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Faenza?content=128143&PHPSESSID=b529d04dbf6aefb6cac0067764c0b5ac

jerrrys
May 31st, 2011, 10:36 PM
gnome look has plenty of nice themes, but have you ever considered building your own theme? 10o4 is ideal for that. all it takes is some basic GIMP tools.

el_koraco
May 31st, 2011, 10:54 PM
Elementary, and minimal little glass is a good Emerald theme, but i ditched it, don't wanna wait for Emerald to completely die.

Copper Bezel
June 1st, 2011, 12:04 AM
+1 for Orta / Faenza; they're a gorgeous and complete set, and I don't think of them as Mac-like, just clean. (Similar color palette, different set of metaphors.) I use the Orta Emerald theme for the window decorations - I just can't bear the cruddy jagged edges on other decorators.

Divergence / AwOken is also a nice pair.

jrozo17
June 1st, 2011, 10:32 PM
So its settled.. Orta is the best?

Copper Bezel
June 1st, 2011, 10:52 PM
There is no "best." Orta is, I think, the most polished and professional theme out there for GTK, at least of the handful that include a settings manager for the details, workarounds built in for common apps with odd features, etc. - dressings and amenities. Orta of course suggests Faenza, which is similar in completeness so that every app you install has an icon available and so that you get a nice monochrome system tray for more or less everything that wants to display an indicator.

But best has to do with taste, too, and that's a subjective thing. Orta and Faenza particularly don't have the "flair" that a lot of Linux users seem to like - again, they're simple and professional.

Larkspur
June 1st, 2011, 10:53 PM
So its settled.. Orta is the best?

Well, it's good, but it's a bit monochrome. Using it with Faenza icons helps, because of their rich colours (unlike, say the Elementary icons - is it just me, or do they look a bit faded?), but the muddy grey progress bars and scrollers, can be a bit grim. Don't get me wrong, I use Orta and it is head and shoulders above the majority, and I think it's sad that it's no longer being developed.

Rodney9
June 1st, 2011, 11:14 PM
I like Elegant Gnome - http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Elegant+Gnome+Pack?content=127826

el_koraco
June 1st, 2011, 11:15 PM
I absolutely detest the square icons Faenza puts on docks and whatnot.

Aquix
June 1st, 2011, 11:20 PM
I install a bunch of themes then I customize one of my own with in Apperance. Choose the Controls, icons and window border I like best. Haven't used many original themes out of the box.

Copper Bezel
June 1st, 2011, 11:29 PM
I absolutely detest the square icons Faenza puts on docks and whatnot.

God, I love the uniformity of it. I always gravitated to monochrome themes before Faenza, but Faenza is more readable without being messy.

ashwinrao
June 1st, 2011, 11:35 PM
I finally settled with Elegant Gnome theme. Much attractive and professional. Link: http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Elegant+Gnome+Pack?content=127826 .

el_koraco
June 1st, 2011, 11:53 PM
I always gravitated to monochrome themes before Faenza

I did before Elementary. Like the blue for some reason. Although, Awoken is stellar, especially with the customizations.

KingYaba
June 2nd, 2011, 02:41 PM
Clearlooks.

Legendary_Bibo
June 2nd, 2011, 02:47 PM
Just don't try making your own icon set unless you can devote a lot of time to it.

GTK/Metacity themes are fun to make, and aren't all that hard.

I use Faenza-Cupertino icons
infinity window border
airlines controls

I also use gnomenu which I make my own buttons and themes.