PDA

View Full Version : PCBSD has ne one tried it?

ihavenoname
May 16th, 2006, 05:24 AM
Hmm a while ago someone on this forum told me about BSD. I was intrested but i didnt go through with it, the other day I heard about PCBsd which is a distro that apparently makes bsd easier to setup and use.

can someone explain to me the following as well as anyother intresting thing about bsd

1. Is bsd faster due to compiling everything or is it in the kernel?
2. What are the pros and cons of bsd?
3. explain to me ports and the package management systems of bsd.
4. Is bsd like gentoo in that u have to compile most of the software?
5. are the bsd packages up to date and are there plenty of them available or are there many missing packages?
6. is bsd good for a desktop?
7. y bsd instead of linux? is there an advantage?

# note: some sound reptitive i realize now but they arent it just means i want clarification on that specific issue.

woedend
May 16th, 2006, 05:45 AM
it would take a 600 page book to answer all of your questions in depth - and even them most are subjective. I highly suggest searching the internet for personal reviews and opinions then forming your own...or even trying it out for yourself. I myself stick with linux - its got the bigger userbase, and more support for a desktop user as of now.
Youre kinda opening a kde vs gnome can of worms with some of these questions :).

RAV TUX
May 16th, 2006, 06:03 AM
Hmm a while ago someone on this forum told me about BSD. I was intrested but i didnt go through with it, the other day I heard about PCBsd which is a distro that apparently makes bsd easier to setup and use.

can someone explain to me the following as well as anyother intresting thing about bsd

1. Is bsd faster due to compiling everything or is it in the kernel?
2. What are the pros and cons of bsd?
3. explain to me ports and the package management systems of bsd.
4. Is bsd like gentoo in that u have to compile most of the software?
5. are the bsd packages up to date and are there plenty of them available or are there many missing packages?
6. is bsd good for a desktop?
7. y bsd instead of linux? is there an advantage?

# note: some sound reptitive i realize now but they arent it just means i want clarification on that specific issue.

Yes I have tried PC-BSD and it is knock-your-socks-off awesome and faster then linux(not sure why) It appears to be in KDE but you can enable Gnome.

You can easily load software from their website, like Opera, and hundrerds of others. You can also enable the standard way also(that linux is fimilar with)

PC-BSD is an awesome desktop that I would compare more with OS X.

The downfall I felt, well it was one I just posted in their forum. I would have used PC-BSD as a dual boot to Ubuntu but I believe it uses lilo, anyway it set itself to default, and when I tried to select linux, it wouldn't let me boot into linux.

So I tried installing PC-BSD first then Ubuntu over top so I could use the GRUB boot loader and for some reason it didn't work.

Now I am fairly new and this could have been my error but I have a dual boot of Ubuntu/Yoper and honestly I find Ubuntu Dapper Beta and Yoper 2.1.0.4
are both nearly as fast as PC-BSD, on an old free box.

If you are in to Eyecandy and sexiness you would probably like PC-BSD. It does have one of the quickest and easiest installs I have seen.

I was impressed but not with the non-booting to a dual boot, and it setting itself up as default.

anyway I hope this helps.

ihavenoname
May 16th, 2006, 06:12 AM
so linux is catching up to bsd now in terms of speed?
also in terms of packages are they binary or source based? also do they have something like apt-get? i intend to get it but my connection is rather slow..

K.Mandla
May 16th, 2006, 06:36 AM
Yes I have tried PC-BSD and it is knock-your-socks-off awesome and faster then linux(not sure why)
That's interesting. I had the complete opposite experience with PC-BSD. Nothing worked. No network, no native resolution, and half the configuration menus crashed when I tried to work with it. On top of that I'm not much of a fan of KDE, so it was pretty much a no-go for me. It's good to hear that someone had a positive experience with it, though. :)

Engnome
May 16th, 2006, 08:26 AM
I tried PC-BSD, and it was fast, very fast. But Ive had better luck with desktopBSD. None worked with my wireless but desktopBSD seemed a little more "polished"

mips
May 16th, 2006, 11:00 AM
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=177335

Look at my post in the above thread, there are PCBSD vmware images/appliances available for testing via virtual machine.

ihavenoname
May 16th, 2006, 11:52 AM
ah! thanx!

Reshin
May 16th, 2006, 12:47 PM
does it have better support for pcnet32/homepna/pppoe-thing I have than in freebsd? I have no clue how to get it working even with the manual :mad: