PDA

View Full Version : What do you dual boot Ubuntu with? I dual boot Ubuntu/Yoper.

RAV TUX
May 16th, 2006, 04:56 AM
I was just wondering what Ubuntu users dual or triple boot to.

I dual boot Ubuntu/Yoper.

(Ubuntu Dapper Beta/Yoper 2.1.0.4)

nanotube
May 16th, 2006, 04:58 AM
hmm, well, my setup is probably pretty common - ubuntu/winxppro
how is yoper, by the way? specifically, what does it do that ubuntu doesn't, or doesn't do well?

briancurtin
May 16th, 2006, 05:02 AM
none, i dont do that.

i just use one distro at a time, Arch is what im using currently.

Ptero-4
May 16th, 2006, 05:20 AM
I dual boot Xubuntu/OSX Panther right now. I'm planning to replace Panther with Darwin 8 though (That is if directfb and Xgl becomes compatible with Darwin and the gnome dev ppl pull their BIG and POINTY heads off their KDE-SIZED azz's and put those f*cking applets to make gnome FULLY BEHAVE AS OS9).

Iandefor
May 16th, 2006, 05:54 AM
Ubuntu Dapper and Fedora Core 5.

endersshadow
May 16th, 2006, 05:55 AM
Dapper and Breezy.

I'm so original :-P

K.Mandla
May 16th, 2006, 06:03 AM
I'm like briancurtin, I just use one at a time. My laptop is Xubuntu Dapper; that's what I use to look up problems while I tinker with the other machine (a big honkin desktop). It's running Arch now, but it sometimes has Xubuntu Dapper on it as well.

RAV TUX
May 16th, 2006, 06:35 AM
hmm, well, my setup is probably pretty common - ubuntu/winxppro
how is yoper, by the way? specifically, what does it do that ubuntu doesn't, or doesn't do well?

Yoper is pretty awesome, a distro out of New Zealand. I currently use the stable build of Yoper 2.1.0.4. I understand there is a more recent build and a beta called Yoper Blacksand.

I have to say that I am pretty happy overall with Ubuntu Dapper Beta, and I was just as happy with Hoary Hedgehog and Breezy Badger. Dapper is amazing and I am quite pleased overall and if I had to choose just one OS Ubuntu dapper would be my choice over all others. My first Linux OS and my Primary OS.

I use Yoper because I like to experiment and I have tried out many other Distros many didn't measure up to par. The failure list is extensive: Scientific linux, openSUSE, Mepis, Fedora Core 5, gnoppix, Debian K11 Hurd.

There are many that I was impressed with PC-BSD, Musix Gnu + Linux, Gnu/Linux Kinneret, Morphix/Gnome, Dreamlinux Studio Edition, of all of the other Distros I tried Yoper is the most Rock solid and stable.

what does Yoper have:

1. great website.
2. great forum; quick and responsive yet small, with a down to earth homey feel.
3. install in 5 to 15 minutes.
4. QTparted built into install.
5. instructions during install.
6. choice of lilo or grub.
7. intelligent install (for example gives the choice of PCMCIA at start up, with instructions that if you don't have a laptop choose no)
8. automatic graphics system setup; which if not to your liking you can easily change configuration with Sax2.
from Sax2 you can proceed to set up:
a monitor (auto detected)
b. graphics card (it's ok if you don't know it, it has already auto detected for you (for example I have on this old box, intel 8281 OE CGC)
c. color & resolution(auto detected)
d. virtual resolution(auto detected)
e. 3D acceleration
f.also you can set up your touchscreen

g.and tablet
wacom
Tevion/Aiptek
Summagraphics
Numonics

h.and also for multiheads

this is what I mean by an intelligent installation. Simply Awesome.

9. Usplash screen is awesome.

now the default appears to be KDE.

anyway let me know if you want to know anything else. I would say just burn a disk and give it a try.

Ubuntu and Yoper are the two finest distros out yet. IMHO

http://yoper.com

RAV TUX
May 16th, 2006, 03:38 PM
none, i dont do that.

i just use one distro at a time, Arch is what im using currently.

I've stopped dual booting and now use Ubuntu Dapper Beta only.

beercz
May 16th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Dapper/WinXP Pro (latter for use at work only)

RAV TUX
May 16th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Dapper/WinXP Pro (latter for use at work only)

I thought you would have dual booted with Beernix
http://beernix.berlios.de/

Lord Illidan
May 16th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Ubuntu (music playing - can't beat Amarok), Fedora Core 5 (trying it out, don't like it so much), and Windows XP Pro (games and Turbo Pascal).

Waiting for Suse 10.1 to come out as a DVD iso or on LXF, so I can replace FC5.

MenZa
May 16th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Dapper/XP Home

Stormy Eyes
May 16th, 2006, 06:24 PM
I was just wondering what Ubuntu users dual or triple boot to.

I don't dual-boot.

Rhapsody
May 16th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Kubuntu Breezy/Windows XP Home

I'm not really suited to dual-booting, I tend to only use one operating system. Hence, I haven't booted up Windows for about two weeks now. A combination of laziness and a lack of complete familiarity with Linux are keeping Windows around for now, but I aim to kill it off entirely by the end of the year.

rickyjones
May 16th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Dual boot Ubuntu Breezy/Windows XP Professional.

Ubuntu for all day to day tasks (web, email, business, financial, testing, listening to music, etc...), and Windows for doing weekly church presentations (Powerpoint and EasyWorship).

Works out well for my need :)

-Richard

Klaidas
May 17th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Ubuntu/Windows XP Pro.
Need it for school.

helpme
May 17th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Ubnutu/Suse10.1/OsX (haven't used it in ages though)
Ubuntu is my main system though.

briancurtin
May 17th, 2006, 07:14 PM
I'm not really suited to dual-booting, I tend to only use one operating system. Hence, I haven't booted up Windows for about two weeks now. A combination of laziness and a lack of complete familiarity with Linux are keeping Windows around for now, but I aim to kill it off entirely by the end of the year.
same. i dual booted XP and SuSE for the first week of my linux using experience, and i never touched XP once i put SuSE on. so i just decided to scrap my whole setup and reinstall SuSE to take over the whole drive after about 4-5 days of that dual booting.

AndyCooll
May 17th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Well I have four boxes. Three of them I don't dual boot (mine, the wifes, and the file server). On those three I'm currently running Breezy. The fourth I use as an experimental pc and it sometimes has 7 or 8 distros on it. These change but currently there is Dapper, Debian, Fedora, SUSE, Slackware, ReactOS, and FreeBSD.

If I ever have to use XP I have a VMWare image for the purpose.

:cool:

tseliot
May 17th, 2006, 08:33 PM
On my Desktop computer:
1st hard disk: Ubuntu Dapper and Debian Etch
2nd hard disk: OpenSuse 10.1 (which I will probably remove)

On my Portable computer:
Arch Linux with Xfce (it's extremely fast)

Iandefor
May 18th, 2006, 01:53 AM
Fedora Core 5 (trying it out, don't like it so much) What about Fedora Core do you not like? I'm pretty impressed with it.

Just curious.

blakamin
May 18th, 2006, 02:22 AM
Kubuntu Breezy, Auditor, Xp home (currently needed for home video editing) , and tonight, I might give Dapper a shot on my spare partition (Dreamlinux currrently resides there but I'm waiting for an update so I can play with it properly- even tho I have now sorted it's HD install graphical problems) or I might just re-partition that partition into 2 partitions and install both....:rolleyes: who knows? One day i'll have to stop moving things around so grubs menu doesn't get copied everywhere!

All this on HP laptop

henriquemaia
May 18th, 2006, 02:31 AM
I have no dual boot. There was a time when Distrowatch was my homepage and I would get excited about new distros, but now I like what I get in ubuntu.

n3tfury
May 18th, 2006, 08:12 AM
none, i dont do that.

then why bother posting.

kubuntu/xppro here.

benplaut
May 18th, 2006, 08:31 AM
laptop: gentoo/dapper/slack
server: freebsd

i'm gonna take out gentoo and put in arch next free weekend... it seems pretty well suited to my wants.

Lord Illidan
May 18th, 2006, 06:47 PM
What about Fedora Core do you not like? I'm pretty impressed with it.

Just curious.

Hmm.

Pirut. Pup. YumEx.

They are as slow...as treacle.
Compared to synaptic, they are a pain in the butt.

I plan to make a comparison thread, too.

Iandefor
May 19th, 2006, 01:11 AM
Hmm.

Pirut. Pup. YumEx.

They are as slow...as treacle.
Compared to synaptic, they are a pain in the butt.

I plan to make a comparison thread, too. Oh, right. Package management. I agree here, it's got a ways to go. But I blame it on rpm :).

DoktorSeven
May 19th, 2006, 01:42 AM
Nothing. I freed myself from Windows a while back and am enjoying the single-boot goodness. :)

trivialpackets
May 19th, 2006, 01:45 AM
I have Currently Ubuntu Dapper and Windows XP Home. I just put XP on it yesterday to play a game my father in lot got me and man oh man what a pain that was. Empire Earth 2 I think... neat game, but what a pain getting windows working on my notebook was.

n3tfury
May 19th, 2006, 02:05 AM
but what a pain getting windows working on my notebook was.

hope you're not blaming windows.

TrailerTrash
May 19th, 2006, 04:22 AM
On my main desktop, im booting PCLinuxOS, Ubuntu, Mepis, Fedora, Xandros, CentOS, and XP.

On my second older desktop, im just booting STX Linux. (for now)

On my main laptop i boot WinXP and Ubuntu.

On my other laptop i boot WinXP and Mepis.

ProjectGod
May 19th, 2006, 06:30 AM
ubuntu, xp, 2000, server2000. 3 machines. one monitor.

nenyalorien
April 19th, 2007, 10:24 PM
i dual boot Feisty with PCLinuxOS on my desktop... currently :D on my laptop, i use only OS X Tiger. :D

Bungo Pony
April 19th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Currently, I boot with Win2k. I'm thinking about adding DOS since there's a lot of apps I still use for it.

karellen
April 19th, 2007, 10:55 PM
same old story: ubuntu 6.10/win xp pro

AndyCooll
April 19th, 2007, 11:47 PM
I don't dual boot Ubuntu with anything. Ubuntu only on all my pc's and laptops. I use VirtualBox for looking at other distros (currently Debian, SuSE, Fedora, and ReactOS)

:cool:

nenyalorien
April 22nd, 2007, 12:34 PM
feisty is being feisty on me. :(

so i dual-boot with edgy. :D

i still have to figure out how to configure feisty. or else i'll beat my desktop with a stick. :p

PartisanEntity
April 22nd, 2007, 12:58 PM
I dual boot Ubuntu with XP because of Photoshop.

Happy_Man
April 22nd, 2007, 02:58 PM
Ubuntu with XP because there's storage on there I can't lose.