PDA

View Full Version : The future of internet...?

cracker89
May 31st, 2011, 01:15 PM
Facebook claims its on its way to displace google as the 'internet.'

Google has claims to mass-mind reading the entire world...

And MS... well is MS...

What is the future going to be something other than what it is today, say in the next century or so. (No 2012 comments plzz :lolflag: )

Is there going to be a 'brain' http://blogs.hbr.org/stibel/2008/06/the-internet-is-a-brain.html? perhaps something a lil more sci fi? A mass movement of communist and/or currently underground cultural resources Or is it going to be a mass-media advertising ground? Or just a large number of servers hosting 'live college girls', akin to mussolini's joy division :P ?

tapi0n
May 31st, 2011, 01:32 PM
Do you have any sources to backup these claims?

As to google being able to mass mind read. There is actually a bit of truth in that. I can't tell you how many times I'm working on my computer, something pops into my head and I google it. So yes, in a way I see where you come up with 'mind reading'.

I think in the poll I'm going to go with 'Facebook is the internet'. Seeing how there are more low level (I don't know if this is the correct term but I hope you understand what I mean) users for whom internet is nothing more then an extension of social environments (facebook, twitter, email, chatclients, ...). And you can't blame them, in one single link and a couple of clicks you can get everything that's going on in your friends' life, you can check the news, you get the picture. You can't argue with the fact that there are far less users who use IT and internet on a higher level (In a way I could use most of the users on this forum as an example). So, even though I don't even have a facebook or any equivalent I'm going with 'Facebook is the internet'.

Just a small note, by Facebook I don't mean Facebook per se. I mean web 2.0 in general :)

jhonan
May 31st, 2011, 01:34 PM
A bit last going back 100 years and asking "Where will the horse and cart be 100 years from now"

10-20 years it might be possible to predict. But given the rate of change, whatever the internet becomes will be unrecognisable from what it is now.

If a time traveller from the future came back and started explaining whatever it was that the internet morphed into, we wouldn't even understand the words he was using.

cracker89
May 31st, 2011, 01:41 PM
lol.. well yes.. google does that already. It catalogues ur searches and 'recommends' sites u 'might be interested in', using algorithms, like they always have.

I had read somewhere that facebook wanted to do something like that, only based on the searches and pages visited by your friends, they said that in a public announcement.

And lol, yep, a 100 years is a long time. but think about it, the greeks and the romans had stone and marble tablets with inscriptions, that survived buried under the earth for us to see.. our paper books will prolly burn and decompose and electronic storage melt or demagnetise before they'll be discovered if we were to end like they did mysteriously...

tapi0n
May 31st, 2011, 01:45 PM
And lol, yep, a 100 years is a long time. but think about it, the greeks and the romans had stone and marble tablets with inscriptions, that survived buried under the earth for us to see.. our paper books will prolly burn and decompose and electronic storage melt or demagnetise before they'll be discovered if we were to end like they did mysteriously...

At least tablets could be translated. Should our current civilisation end. Should our computers, external storage media and disks be burried for hundreds of years I can Imagine that would render them completely useless. Noone will ever know what we've been doing with our magic boxes!

Grenage
May 31st, 2011, 01:49 PM
You assume that there'll be an internet in 100 years.

RiceMonster
May 31st, 2011, 01:50 PM
Fools. I am in the internet.

tapi0n
May 31st, 2011, 01:51 PM
You assume that there'll be an internet in 100 years.

Why would you be so blasphemous?

frankbooth
May 31st, 2011, 01:51 PM
I'll predict the future for you, no problem...

Facebook will launch their own search engine and will incorporate all info from your friends likes.

Google will still be struggling to make their own social network.

Yahoo dies.

:popcorn:

cracker89
May 31st, 2011, 01:53 PM
I'll predict the future for you, no problem...

Facebook will launch their own search engine and will incorporate all info from your friends likes.

Google will still be struggling to make their own social network.

Yahoo dies.

:popcorn:

Lol... its posthumous anywho..

Nyromith
May 31st, 2011, 02:06 PM
I have a nightmare that sometimes prevents me from sleeping: a huge success of cloud operating systems and services that completely kills the model of personal computers that have local storage and processing power, software and data that belongs to you. The only thing you have is an internet-based OS that gives you a temporary access to data stored in a remote location.

Please tell me this is not the future.

Thewhistlingwind
May 31st, 2011, 02:10 PM

Not if I can help it.;)

I have the same nightmare, every night.

CandidMan
May 31st, 2011, 02:25 PM
I have a nightmare that sometimes prevents me from sleeping: a huge success of cloud operating systems and services that completely kills the model of personal computers that have local storage and processing power, software and data that belongs to you. The only thing you have is an internet-based OS that gives you a temporary access to data stored in a remote location.

*breaks out in cold sweat* *shudder*

cracker89
May 31st, 2011, 02:29 PM
how'd i miss that..! :| We always have the untergrund!

BrokenKingpin
May 31st, 2011, 02:29 PM
If it ends up as one big Apple Store I will quit using computers all together.

RiceMonster
May 31st, 2011, 02:34 PM

Yeah right.

Grenage
May 31st, 2011, 02:36 PM

Yes, it's a nightmare when everything works and is easy to use.

Thewhistlingwind
May 31st, 2011, 02:41 PM
Yeah right.

Eh, I'd believe it, if that looks anything like I imagine, I probably wouldn't throw up my hands and say never again, but at the same time I know I'd probably get bored and go do something else. (Like see the sun for once.)

BrokenKingpin
May 31st, 2011, 02:45 PM
Yes, it's a nightmare when everything works and is easy to use.
It is a nightmare to be locked into crap software and not being allowed to do what I want with my computer.

tapi0n
May 31st, 2011, 03:00 PM

I'm tempted to do the same thing, even at this very moment. Doesn't even have to be one big Apple Store.

It is a nightmare to be locked into crap software and not being allowed to do what I want with my computer.

If that should be the future, who even says it's your computer? ;)

Dustin2128
May 31st, 2011, 04:32 PM
Not optimistic. The ISPs bend over for the big media companies and keep abundant IPv6 addresses dynamic to ensure that if you want hosting, you have to go to one of the big companies who can arbitrarily kill or remove your site. Net neutrality battle is lost, so you'd have to pay protection money to ISPs for your site to operate even if you did also pay for hosting. Everything is DRM'd to hell. Then that guy's cloud computing nightmare, that too. But I for one will not stand for it! I'll use packet radio and save my old computers to make my own internet, with blackjack, and hookers!

Wait a second....

Macskeeball
May 31st, 2011, 05:45 PM
100 years from now is a long time.

The Internet does not exist in isolation. As a global phenomena, it is affected by the broader context of what happens in the world. The balance of power may shift. Currently the Internet has a disproportionate amount influence from English-speaking Western nations like the US, but the US may be overtaken as a world power by the likes of China and India. Some of the countries which exist now won't exist in 100 years. They'll have undergone revolutions, changed names, or ceded territory to other nations. Cultures will also have changed. It's possible that as the balance of power shifts, nuclear weapons could wind up in the wrong hands- with devastating results.

The very notion of what a computer is will be different. The line between traditional computers, tablets, and smartphones will blur even over the next few years. Wired Internet connections (cable, DSL, fiber, etc) may be overtaken by wireless. IPv6 could lead to Internet-connected appliances and Internet-connected nanotech. Self-driving cars could become the norm. Improvements in both artificial intelligence and speech recognition could improve machine translation to the point where the barrier between human languages is eliminated.

MBybee
May 31st, 2011, 05:52 PM
I'll agree that anything more than 10 years out is going to be hard to tell.

I think within 10 years it'll devolve along national lines and be nothing more than curated content, malls, and jingoist propaganda.

People like us (well some of us) will probably go back to BBS style networks that are fully encrypted so that we can at least spend a few minutes a day outside of constant surveillance.

cracker89
May 31st, 2011, 05:58 PM
I'll agree that anything more than 10 years out is going to be hard to tell.

I think within 10 years it'll devolve along national lines and be nothing more than curated content, malls, and jingoist propaganda.

People like us (well some of us) will probably go back to BBS style networks that are fully encrypted so that we can at least spend a few minutes a day outside of constant surveillance.

Well, I think it shouldnt be too hard to imagine. the way things are going, everything is a billboard. And a billboard which will soon be something akin to communist big brother. When I say 100 years, its exactly with the outside considerations in mind. Who knows, maybe we'll be using portable chalk-tablets with no wifi whatsoever... or those johny quest glasses. Ooh Yea!

MBybee
May 31st, 2011, 06:05 PM
Who knows, maybe we'll be using portable chalk-tablets with no wifi whatsoever... or those johny quest glasses. Ooh Yea!

Considering that I still use a moleskine for all my notes... and still have my great-grandfather's moleskines - I hope that we won't be stuck with chalk :D

Those glasses would rule, though

cracker89
May 31st, 2011, 06:07 PM
lol... Stone and marble man. I'm going to write my life history on a big menhir and leave it buried in the ground for all of eternity, lest apocalypse does come..