PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Remove Ubuntu & install Windows

Mathewj
May 31st, 2011, 10:32 AM
I just bought a new computer. It has Ubuntu 10.10 installed on it but i think thats the only OS on it
So how can i remove it and switch it for my Windows OS?
all the guides i can find refer to dual booting with windows first.
Im pretty sure i only have Ubuntu and its really starting to annoy me

mörgæs
May 31st, 2011, 10:35 AM
What in Ubuntu don't you like? Most likely there is a fix for it.

Mathewj
May 31st, 2011, 10:38 AM
lol Everything i have is Windows programs and the whole Ubuntu annoys me lol
i just wanna go back to my Windows OS

nzjethro
May 31st, 2011, 10:40 AM
Hi there. As much as it pains me to see someone leaving Ubuntu for Windows...
Do you have Windows install disks/a windows serial number?

Mathewj
May 31st, 2011, 10:45 AM
yeah i have my windows disk and its key

nzjethro
May 31st, 2011, 10:51 AM
Cool, in that case, put your disk in the CD tray, and restart. It should either boot from disk automatically, else you may have to hit F2, F12, esc or something to load your boot menu (when the computer first starts up). Once you get to boot from the CD, there should be an option to install Windows (my experience is with 7 only). Choose this, navigate through the first few options, and when you get to the disk management options, select to erase the entire disk (clean install). From here it will format your HDD (choose NTFS if it asks) and install Windows on your system (including boot, recovery etc, so no need to sort that stuff out) and you should be rolling.
If you ever feel like coming back to the Ubuntu community, we'll be waiting with open arms! :P

Mathewj
May 31st, 2011, 11:01 AM
lol i tried that before i came here opened my boot menu and clicked to boot from my cd drive
Then all it did was boot Ubuntu anyway lolz

nzjethro
May 31st, 2011, 11:13 AM
Ah, I thought that would be a nice easy fix. What comes up when you search what files are on the cd? Is it possible that your install disk is corrupted, or your install .iso didn't download/burn to the disk properly?

Mathewj
May 31st, 2011, 11:16 AM
its got all the files on it

nzjethro
May 31st, 2011, 11:30 AM
And it's still not showing up on start up? I'm nott sure if this will help:
http://cutecomputer.wordpress.com/2006/10/10/boot-cdrom-through-grub/
This might bring your bootable CD Rom to the GRUB menu. But as far as I can tell, you shouldn't get that far. What's the process when you try to boot from the CD when you restart your computer? Does it come up with any error messages? Or does it just go straight from the opening screen to grub?