PDA

View Full Version : Who reads the User License Agreement when installing something?

TheAJGman
May 31st, 2011, 05:07 AM
Seriously who does?

xaegis
May 31st, 2011, 05:14 AM
Well if it is an Apple product you darned well better read it or else you risk being used in an iExperiment. (e.g. HUMANCENTiPAD):shock:

Dustin2128
May 31st, 2011, 05:15 AM
You could say I do. Most of the software I install is free/permissive, and knowing the general premises behind the rest, I tend not to read free software licenses. For proprietary stuff, yeah I prefer to read those no matter how long it takes. Most of the time, I admit, I'm skimming just trying to find anything particularly outrageous.

Thewhistlingwind
May 31st, 2011, 05:17 AM
You could say I do. Most of the software I install is free/permissive, and knowing the general premises behind the rest, I tend not to read free software licenses. For proprietary stuff, yeah I prefer to read those no matter how long it takes. Most of the time, I admit, I'm skimming just trying to find anything particularly outrageous.

++

jerrrys
May 31st, 2011, 05:32 AM
just skim through them and watch out for yahoo toolbars :D

Ctrl-Alt-F1
May 31st, 2011, 05:42 AM
It depends sometimes I read, sometimes I skim, sometimes I don't give a care what they think.

Macskeeball
May 31st, 2011, 05:50 AM
"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

TheAJGman
May 31st, 2011, 05:53 AM
Same

Lucradia
May 31st, 2011, 05:58 AM
When SONY did their first major overhaul of the End-User Agreement for the PlayStation Network, it was sent to my email address. I read the entire thing, top to bottom, all bold, caps, fine print, everything.

I got deep into the bottom, but not quite the very bottom, and noted, hidden deep in a paragraph was this line (it's not the same now):

SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT OF AMERICA has the right to charge for the creation of your SONY PlayStation Network account at anytime, without prior notice. Failure to pay the fine will result in termination of the account.

Aquix
May 31st, 2011, 07:47 AM
Whats the point. They protect themselves from everything in those things, lawsuits to alien invasions, so I don't care.

Bandit
May 31st, 2011, 08:05 AM
I read them, its the EULA from MS that is half the reason I use Linux. Not the quality of the product.

trizrK
May 31st, 2011, 08:07 AM
chuck norris lol

Lucradia
May 31st, 2011, 08:47 AM
I read them, its the EULA from MS that is half the reason I use Linux. Not the quality of the product.

Yeah, trying to get that silly refund is also a pain in the hinder, especially in the USA, where no manufacturer wants to refund their OEM.

(Gosh, try Gateway when they still accepted the OEM Refunds.)

handy
May 31st, 2011, 09:07 AM
I rarely ever see one these days.

I'm more interested in reading privacy policy statements.

Random_Dude
May 31st, 2011, 10:33 AM
Well if it is an Apple product you darned well better read it or else you risk being used in an iExperiment. (e.g. HUMANCENTiPAD):shock:

LOL, cool episode.
No, I don't read them. I know I should, but apparently I'm just like 99.9% of the computer user's population.

jerenept
May 31st, 2011, 10:50 AM
If it's not BSD/MIT/X11/GPL, I read it.

yetiman64
May 31st, 2011, 02:47 PM
+1 This.

Frogs Hair
May 31st, 2011, 02:59 PM
Yes , but when it is stated that the agreement is subject to change I have never gone back checked for changes .

Thewhistlingwind
May 31st, 2011, 03:03 PM
Yes , but when it is stated that the agreement is subject to change I have never gone back checked for changes .

That just gave me the coolest idea for a firefox addon:

It takes license agreements you agree to, then periodically checks them for updates.

RiceMonster
May 31st, 2011, 03:04 PM
Never bothered, never had any problems.

BrokenKingpin
May 31st, 2011, 06:22 PM
Most of the software I install is open source, so I do not bother for the most part, unless it is an open source licence I have not read before.

BrokenKingpin
May 31st, 2011, 06:23 PM
That just gave me the coolest idea for a firefox addon:

It takes license agreements you agree to, then periodically checks them for updates.
I like the idea, but not in a web browser... as it has nothing to do with a web browser.

forrestcupp
May 31st, 2011, 06:53 PM
Usually not. But there have been a few times when the agreement included a paid subscription and I thought I'd better read it.

del_diablo
May 31st, 2011, 09:01 PM
I live in a country where ULA is not enforceable, and it will automatically fail any session in court.
So yeah: I am not reading it.

TheAJGman
May 31st, 2011, 09:15 PM
Can you do some things for me ??? Lol

Dr. C
June 1st, 2011, 02:54 AM
I do and it is one of the reasons I use Ubuntu. :wink:

Thewhistlingwind
June 1st, 2011, 03:19 AM
I like the idea, but not in a web browser... as it has nothing to do with a web browser.

Web services have EULA's too!

Minox
June 1st, 2011, 03:37 AM
I live in a country where ULA is not enforceable, and it will automatically fail any session in court.
So yeah: I am not reading it.

Oo, where's that?

Khakilang
June 1st, 2011, 04:46 AM
I don't read it because Linux is free and open source. Other people don't read it because they use pirated copies and they don't care.

uRock
June 1st, 2011, 04:59 AM
I wonder if folks would get mad if someone were to be contracted to replace your roof and the contractor decided not to read the contract and only tore off the old shingles, then never returned to install the new ones.

When you purchase/use a product that comes with a license agreement, then you have agreed to do as they say. If you don't like the contract, then don't buy/use the product.

Macskeeball
June 1st, 2011, 05:20 AM
I wonder if folks would get mad if someone were to be contracted to replace your roof and the contractor decided not to read the contract and only tore off the old shingles, then never returned to install the new ones.

When you purchase/use a product that comes with a license agreement, then you have agreed to do as they say. If you don't like the contract, then don't buy/use the product.

A EULA is a one-sided "agreement," and the customer can't see it until after purchasing and opening the box. Once a box of software has been opened, the store will refuse to take it back.

uRock
June 1st, 2011, 05:26 AM
Microsoft EULA. (http://www.microsoft.com/About/Legal/EN/US/IntellectualProperty/UseTerms/Default.aspx)

Apple (http://www.apple.com/legal/sla/)

Norton (http://www.symantec.com/about/profile/policies/eulas/index.jsp)

Adobe (http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/)

Most large companies have their EULAs readily available.

TheAJGman
June 2nd, 2011, 02:20 AM
Most large companies have their EULAs readily available.
Key word "MOST" not all

TheAJGman
June 5th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Only 15% for chuck Norris come on