PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Ubuntu to Kubuntu and Remove Windows 7

CDelia
May 31st, 2011, 04:07 AM
So I have been using Ubuntu Natty Narwhal edition for a little while now and I definitely like it better than Windows 7. However there are just some usability issues and some bugs in it that makes booting difficult sometimes that I am not too thrilled with. I used the wubi installer for Ubuntu and it gave me way too little partitioned hard drive space which did not make me happy either.

So in my search for the ideal operating system for my new laptop I came across Kubuntu and I believe it would be a better replacement for both Ubuntu and Windows 7.

Here is what I would like to do now. Completely remove Ubuntu and Windows 7 and run Kubuntu full time with all 250 GB of my Toshiba Satellite Laptop's hard drive space.

What are the step by step directions that I have to take to safely accomplish this task and are there any risks to my laptop's hardware should I decide to do this?

Thank you all so much for your help, I have only been here a short while, but I am amazed with the support that this community offers. Namaste

linuxinstalledfromhdd
May 31st, 2011, 04:47 AM
I would honestly recommend you install Ubuntu 10.10, and then add Kubuntu environment to it after you get it completely setup with all the codecs and fun stuff.

Here is a nice guide to help you get started with the entire process:

http://cinderbox.net/2010/12/23/to-do-list-after-installing-ubuntu-10-10-aka-maverick-meerkat/

prshah
May 31st, 2011, 09:26 AM
I came across Kubuntu and I believe it would be a better replacement for both Ubuntu and Windows 7.

Here is what I would like to do now. Completely remove Ubuntu and Windows 7 and run Kubuntu full time with all 250 GB of my Toshiba Satellite Laptop's hard drive space.

Kubuntu is very nice indeed but it is a little heavier on system resources. I wouldn't recommend it when using onboard graphics (intel).

However, the installation process is pretty much the same no matter what flavor you use. Pop in the CD, boot off it, choose to "try", then double click the "install" icon and follow instructions. When asked about the hard drive, choose the option to "Use entire drive".

Please post back if you need more specifics.