PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me, or does everything work better in Linux?

And6ate9
May 31st, 2011, 03:04 AM
I just finally got over my ******* addiction. And, I am find that everything seem to work better in linux from firefox to to libreoffice.
Discounting that the is still a lack for 64 OSes.

Is it just me?

Thewhistlingwind
May 31st, 2011, 04:38 AM
Nope.:popcorn:

EDIT:

The speed and low resource usage is key for me.

I thought thats what he meant.

jerenept
May 31st, 2011, 04:54 AM
I just finally got over my ******* addiction. And, I am find that everything seem to work better in linux from firefox to to libreoffice.

Is it just me?

It's just you. Also, have you not heard the news? Win7 (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/64-bit-support) and OSX (http://www.apple.com/macosx/) are both 64-bit.

I have only used about 6 or 7 os's, rather than 64... :P

MasterNetra
May 31st, 2011, 05:22 AM

Is it just me?

Just you. Webcam support in flash is crap to non-existent, and for me my webcam works more poorly.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
May 31st, 2011, 05:33 AM
It's just you, but that doesn't keep me from using Linux as my primary OS. There are other returns that are more worthwhile to me than all my accessories working perfectly. The speed and low resource usage is key for me.

And6ate9
May 31st, 2011, 05:48 AM
It's good to know that it's just me. My Kindergarden teacher use to tell me that all the time.

Excluding 64 bit applications, flash, everything on my system works flawlessly.

It's always good to do some research to find out which parts are supported in linux.

I am using windows ultimate 64 and it's just not as sweet.
Right now I chugging along with 4 processors and 6 gigs of ram and it still can't beat linux.

Good job Ubuntu and linux planet guys!!!

Irihapeti
May 31st, 2011, 07:56 AM
Never mind whether it's just you or not. If it's doing what you want it to, enjoy.

Ubuntu does most of what I want. I have a Windows installation, but it doesn't get much use.

Bandit
May 31st, 2011, 08:01 AM
I find my system works so much better under Linux.

For one, my HP 1660 printer drivers dont work under 64bit windows anything and it works perfectly on my 64bit linux system.
Also RAID is easier to setup, NV drivers work great. Everything works great..

I go no complaints. Of course when I buy hardware, I make sure its Linux friendly..

Artemis3
May 31st, 2011, 08:09 AM
64 bit applications work fine, i don't see what you mean. For flash, you should just use sevenmachines's PPA...

Bandit
May 31st, 2011, 08:30 AM
I dont get what everyone is talking about in regards to Flash issues.
I just download the 64bit plugins tarbal from Adobes website and drop the file into my plugins directory manually and it all works just fine.

el_koraco
May 31st, 2011, 08:44 AM
Wait a few weeks, you'll find things to annoy the hell out of you.

Lucradia
May 31st, 2011, 08:45 AM
Try Super Maryo Chronicles on an uber x64 system.

Sometimes, Linux works too good.

Rodney9
May 31st, 2011, 09:00 AM
I found Raw Therapee and Gimp worked much much faster in Linux.

Aquix
May 31st, 2011, 10:45 AM
The things you can do on other os's but not in linux does not work better. But at least you learn something new using linux.

jhonan
May 31st, 2011, 10:52 AM
The things you can do on other os's but not in linux does not work better.
Exactly. I just don't understand the whole OS loyalty thing. Who cares? - I use whatever app is best for the task in whatever OS is best for that app.

It's not like I'm going to reprogram the EPROM in my washing machine cause it's not running a distro I like.

However, if I ever feel the need to parse CSV files in Python using my washing machine, then I might consider it.

el_koraco
May 31st, 2011, 10:59 AM
what if you happened to come across a dead badger?

jhonan
May 31st, 2011, 11:38 AM
what if you happened to come across a dead badger?
:lolflag:

http://www.strangehorizons.com/2004/20040405/badger.shtml :)

rudihawk
May 31st, 2011, 12:12 PM
I just find my Ubuntu less niggly than my Windows 7 install.

It just works, day in and day out. Exactly the same, no funny suprises.

handy
May 31st, 2011, 01:31 PM
It is just you, as "everything" certainly doesn't work better in Linux.

Many things don't work at all, not even in Wine.

Random_Dude
May 31st, 2011, 01:38 PM

^This.
However, I've learned a lot from some annoyances in Ubuntu.

tx0105
May 31st, 2011, 01:54 PM
I like Linux better. I think the DE's look better, it's faster, the price is great and overall I enjoy the constantly changes/new distros/discovering new things. With that said, it doesn't do everything better, nor does it have to.

I_can_see_the_light
May 31st, 2011, 02:16 PM

That could be said about any distro/OS, nothing will ever be perfect. The advantage of using Linux is that you can customise most things to your liking (without dirty hacks). That said, in my case there's been significantly less "annoy the hell out of you" moments since I left Windows three years ago.

But, like someone else said, you should use the tool that works best for your needs - sometimes it's Linux, sometimes it's OS X etc.

retbak
May 31st, 2011, 05:16 PM
Not everything works better, but I know that I work better in Linux. Ubuntu loads up fast, is stable, doesn't nag me with updates and forced restarts and doesn't try to sell me things. I am less apprehensive about browsing the web too. There are certain things that work better in Windows but that list is getting increasingly smaller as I try to avoid booting into Windows at all costs.

PuddingKnife
May 31st, 2011, 05:36 PM
Everything? Certainly not. I really do love the speed, openness, and customization of the Linux world. Its got the greatest community with many like-minded individuals who volunteer their time and expertise to give us a good, free experience.

On the other hand..

I really like how if I'm using Windows, 99% of all the software I need will work on my system, without having to get some sort of IT degree. It works on most hardware and is very reliable, post-Vista.

I really like how if I'm using a Mac, the ecosystem is gorgeous and all the software is tailored to the hardware. I really like that a lot of thought went into the consistency of the GUI.

screaminj3sus
May 31st, 2011, 05:45 PM

Is it just me?

Firefox's hardware acceleration is garbage in linux compared to windows.

forrestcupp
May 31st, 2011, 07:03 PM
Some things work better in Linux.

But scanners (especially in all-in-one printers), printers, iPhones, webcams, AMD/ATI video cards, and most non-Linux software are all crap in Linux.

Fedz
May 31st, 2011, 07:17 PM
Some things work better in Linux.

But scanners (especially in all-in-one printers), printers, iPhones, webcams, AMD/ATI video cards, and most non-Linux software are all crap in Linux.
Yeah my scanner wouldn't work but, when I realised to copy the scanners .usb from the install file to /usr/share/sane/gt68xx & rename it to PS1fw.usb & chmod the file chmod a+r which apparent which apparently overrides & makes any (?) scanner work.

Printer I had to install the make/model below but, it works like a dream so ...

Webcam never worked in Windows but, no problems on Linux.

I never use all-in-one's - never liked them in case one breaks down ya don't have a broken product hence I always prefer separates :)

PC_load_letter
May 31st, 2011, 07:40 PM
Exactly. I just don't understand the whole OS loyalty thing. Who cares? - I use whatever app is best for the task in whatever OS is best for that app.

It's not like I'm going to reprogram the EPROM in my washing machine cause it's not running a distro I like.

However, if I ever feel the need to parse CSV files in Python using my washing machine, then I might consider it.

Personally, it's not that simple. I can't use OSX because the hardware is way too expensive for my budget. As for Windows, I just do not subscribe to their way of doing things + I don't want to go thru the hassle of making sure that my system is secure.
I'm sick of having to pay for software to perform basic system tasks, e.g. Nero to burn CDs & DVDs, or even Office suite, and I do not want to deal with the bloat/adware software that comes with every new PC.

So far, since 2006, I didn't need anything that Linux can't do.