PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] can't change cursor style in gnome

blauendonau
May 31st, 2011, 02:11 AM
When I go to the appearance preferences in Ubuntu 10.04 w/GNOME and try to select a cursor different from the default, nothing happens, the cursor refuses to change. Logging out and in doesn't work. Over the weeks I've played around with this machine a bit, installing and uninstalling various DEs such as Kubuntu and LXDE; I have a feeling something messed up my cursor config while I was changing stuff, but I don't know what or where. Is there any quick way to troubleshoot why the cursor isn't changing?

IWantFroyo
May 31st, 2011, 02:15 AM
Have you been going to System->Preferences->Appearance and hitting Customize on your theme? The pointer section is farthest to the right.

I know this might not be the most helpful thing, but I wanted to make sure.

Frogs Hair
May 31st, 2011, 02:35 AM
See this link to do a clean removal of other desktop environments you have tried . http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/puregnome

blauendonau
May 31st, 2011, 02:46 AM
Have you been going to System->Preferences->Appearance and hitting Customize on your theme? The pointer section is farthest to the right.

I know this might not be the most helpful thing, but I wanted to make sure.

I accessed it thru that menu, yes. I should have been clearer.

@Frogs Hair: yep, used that method to purge kubuntu. It removed everything else cleanly AFAIK. Come to think of it, the cursors went haywire after I installed KDE, if that helps...

blauendonau
May 31st, 2011, 07:18 PM
Bump. Anyone? Perhaps there's a "fix broken files" command to run or something? It's not critical, but not being able to change cursor styles is a little irksome nonetheless.

blauendonau
June 5th, 2011, 02:37 AM
One last bump. I don't want to be pushy or anything, but can anyone offer a suggestion?