PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Classic Scrollbars on Ubuntu 11.04?

kmand
May 30th, 2011, 11:50 PM
Is it possible to get the gnome style scrollbars on the classic desktop on 11.04? The new disappearing slider is bugging me. In particular I like clicking on the scrollbar below the slider to advance.

Krytarik
May 31st, 2011, 01:22 AM
Please see this guide on how to disable the overlay scrollbars:
http://ubuntu4beginners.blogspot.com/2011/04/disable-overlay-scrollbars-in-ubuntu.html

Greetings.

Agent24
May 31st, 2011, 02:50 AM
Very useful, I also found the new style scrollbars very annoying.

kmand
May 31st, 2011, 03:21 AM
Thanks, that did it.

I'm surprised its not an option in System->Preferences.

gtippitt
September 5th, 2011, 04:27 AM
I'm not really surprised. While Canonical's support helped Debian become a better distribution for a few years, they have begun being a bit heavy handed the last few years. Changes like PulseAudio, moving the window buttons, Unity UI, and these new scrolling widgets, have all been forced into new releases without giving users a easy choice or transition. Years ago with new versions of a software package or OS, it was a popular pastime to try to find the "Easter Eggs" that developers had hidden to disclose a cute animation and list of credits for developers. With the last 4 versions of Ubuntu, it is a like an Easter Egg hunt to simply try to find a way to use the system after an upgrade, because they have changed too many things that have not been tested.

Thankfully there are still LTS versions, so you can put off the pain of transition for 18 months at a time. Since the release of 10.04, Canonical has mistakenly decided that the way for Ubuntu to surpass ******* is to try to make each new version of Ubuntu as much like Microsoft's transition from XP to Vista as is possible.

Canonical - Please fix the stuff that doesn't work and stop screwing with the stuff that does work.

Microsoft developers used to have a saying that no new version of Windows was ready to ship until they had broken Lotus 123 and WordPerfect. This strategy worked to put all of their competition out of business until MS-Office reigned supreme. When corporate and government users began developing their own software to run on Windows, this kind of thinking no longer worked since they were breaking their customer's software not their competitors.

When development of web applications began to take off in the late 90's, it was no co-incidence that most developers put their applications on Linux Apache servers not on ******* IIS servers.

Agent24
September 5th, 2011, 04:33 AM
Very well said!

lordbah
September 21st, 2011, 12:53 PM
Thank you very much! Those new scrollbars are among the most hostile things they've done to me with 11.04.