PDA

View Full Version : What to do with your computers?

clgy15
May 30th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Hey everybody,
I have several systems around my house all doing this and that. But my baby is only really used for web browsing =(. I mean, with 8Gb of RAM, 6 cores of Phenom II 1100T overclocked, and an AMD 5750 dual crossfire, I think it should do more.
Iv tried backing up my movie library (Legally of course) but I really havent found anything that really wows me for backups in either Linux or Windows.

Is there something out there worthwhile I can do with my computer? I mean I feel like it should be contributing to something! I didnt build it for nothing! Is there like a really awesome product for movie backups? Right now Im about to head off to college so I dont have much I need to do with it!!! Im not a video/photo editor and I play serious games like Crysis II (:):):):):):)) but thats only every once in awhile when Im not busy

Anything out there to keep it busy?

Thewhistlingwind
May 30th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Folding@home?

Compile some kernels?

Run flash?

unitiveshadow
May 30th, 2011, 11:10 PM
wow that is a general question...

learn a programming language?

see how many viruses it takes for you computer to be no longer functioning?

Bandit
May 30th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Mine is a little less OP then clgy15's.

Basic system:
Phenom 9850 Quad Core
4GB DDR2-800 Dual Channel
1.2TB RAID Stripped "4x 320GB WD Blue Drives"
nVidia 460GTX o/c'd

Linux Development, Web browsing, multimedia center and college homework mainly. :-)

clgy15
May 31st, 2011, 02:33 AM
Oh Im happy again. I feel accomplished! Im using Folding@Home the GPU client! Oh what a cool thing this project is!!!!!

Iv already learned a half dozen languages. And its my computer that has time not me... :(

So what else? I think this distributed computing idea is utterly fantastic!!!

clgy15
May 31st, 2011, 02:37 AM
wow that is a general question...

learn a programming language?

see how many viruses it takes for you computer to be no longer functioning?

Hahahahah :p thats funny about the virus! No that would be too mean to actually infect my own computer!

Kenc3
May 31st, 2011, 02:48 AM
Lately I have been learning how to set up Ubuntu. I have been on windows all my life.. well as long as they had computers. I was in my 40s before I got my first one. (Computers haven't been out there that long.)
I have used mine to keep my sanity. I learned digital art, writing, met new friends and just listen to radio stations from here ( Philippines).