PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] /home partition issues

motherboyxx
May 30th, 2011, 03:02 PM
I tried searching this and i am sure my search parameters were poor because this has to have happened before.

So I set up natty with a fresh install and created a /home partition of 310GB and /_ partition of 10GB (i know thats allot) using psychocats.net tutorial. I have been using it for a bit now and just realized my "home" folder is still in the 10GB partition.

I can manually move files over to the 310GB and use it like a back up (similar to D drive in windows). What I would like to do is set up the 310GB to be the default location for home and all my files. See pictures below. Does this have to do with both partitions being ext4? Thanks in advance

hwttdz
May 30th, 2011, 04:26 PM
I think by /_ you mean / (also called root) and I wouldn't say 10gb is a lot for root. In fact many people would say it's very little (I think it's probably a fine amount if you don't plan on installing every program around).

Yes you can move your home partition. You'll need to copy your home directory over to that drive, I probably reformat that drive, and then "sudo cp -r /home/username /path/to/big/drive". Then you'll update fstab either by hand, or using one of the graphical interfaces, such as pysdm and make the mount point of the big drive /home. Then you can reboot and your home drive will be on the big disk. You can probably do this without a restart, but I am not quite as averse to restarting as some folk.

I'd recommend either reading up some on fstab/partitions or waiting for another response before following my instructions, as any time you use sudo (as you'll have to to change the fstab, if not other things as well) you risk seriously messing up your system.

Also the smart status of that disk says it's not in perfect health. So you may even want to consider getting a second HDD and moving your home to that.

LowSky
May 30th, 2011, 04:31 PM
My root is only 12GB and my home is 20.

I then have links to folders for my videos and music as those directories hold terabytes of data.

what would be easier is start the pc with the live cd... run the live mode... open gparted. from gparted you can resize the partitions.

make backups of data before doing anything

ratcheer
May 30th, 2011, 05:37 PM
I did pretty much the same thing, just yesterday. Here is my thread. If you need more details, just ask.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1770487

Tim

motherboyxx
May 30th, 2011, 06:52 PM
I did pretty much the same thing, just yesterday. Here is my thread. If you need more details, just ask.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1770487

Tim

LOL...i do indeed need more details. Specifically; I reformatted the partition, gave it a more intuitive label and copyed my home directory to it. Now I want to make that /dev/sda5 the "default" location for the Home file tree, instead of the /dev/sda1. Again thanks for helping a beginner.

oldfred
May 30th, 2011, 07:19 PM
these are three versions of moving /home to another partition. They are essentially identical but using different commands for the copy. See which makes more sense to you.

Uses cp -ax
http://www.ivankuznetsov.com/2008/04/moving-home-to-its-own-partition.html
cp without -a and copying as sudo root takes ownership
To move /home uses rsync
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Partitioning/Home/Moving
Uses cpio
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome

ratcheer
May 30th, 2011, 10:55 PM
LOL...i do indeed need more details. Specifically; I reformatted the partition, gave it a more intuitive label and copyed my home directory to it. Now I want to make that /dev/sda5 the "default" location for the Home file tree, instead of the /dev/sda1. Again thanks for helping a beginner.

Is /dev/sda5 currently mounted? If yes, what is the top-level directory name?

Tim

motherboyxx
May 30th, 2011, 11:08 PM
Is /dev/sda5 currently mounted? If yes, what is the top-level directory name?

Tim
/media/

If i open the disk utility before I access the partition it states it is unmounted. I can of course mount it with the utility or by accessing it from "places" on the desktop; from which I am told it is "mounted at /media/mainspace"

ratcheer
May 30th, 2011, 11:48 PM
Ok, then first you meed to get it mounted "normally".

1) sudo blkid

Note the uuid of /dev/sda5.

2) sudo vi /etc /fstab

(Or, use whatever text editor you prefer). Copy the line for / to a new line. Edit the new line to make the uuid what you found in step 1. Change / to /mainspace

3) Reboot. You should come up with a mounted filesystem at /mainspace. Run "df -Th" and post the output. If everything looks good, we will swap it with your /home, later.

Tim

motherboyxx
May 30th, 2011, 11:50 PM
Following the official ubuntu documentation listed above this is what I did, below is terminal output.

dan@dan-Inspiron-1545:~$ sudo blkid
[sudo] password for dan:
/dev/sda1: UUID="e1c80579-0d2b-45ff-96e5-831c7bedb748" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sda5: LABEL="Mainspace" UUID="bd2e08e1-ba0a-4ecb-9746-757ed9604bb4" TYPE="ext4"
dan@dan-Inspiron-1545:~$ sudo cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.$(date +%2011-%05-%30)
cp: target `%30' is not a directory
dan@dan-Inspiron-1545:~$ sudo cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.$(date +%Y-%m-%d)
dan@dan-Inspiron-1545:~$ cmp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.$(date +%Y-%m-%d)
dan@dan-Inspiron-1545:~$ gksu gedit /etc/fstab

(gedit:1918): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.1X5DWV': No such file or directory

(gedit:1918): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or directory

(gedit:1918): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.NGBLWV': No such file or directory

(gedit:1918): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or directory
dan@dan-Inspiron-1545:~$
dan@dan-Inspiron-1545:~$ $sudo mkdir /mnt/newhome
mkdir: cannot create directory `/mnt/newhome': Permission denied
dan@dan-Inspiron-1545:~$

Here is the fstab editor output.
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid -o value -s UUID' to print the universally unique identifier
# for a device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name
# devices that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
# / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=e1c80579-0d2b-45ff-96e5-831c7bedb748 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
# (identifier) (location, eg sda5) (format, eg ext3 or ext4) (some settings)
UUID=bd2e08e1-ba0a-4ecb-9746-757ed9604bb4 /media/home ext4 nodev,nosuid 0 2

I bolded the area of the fstab editor/terminal that i think/know i messed up (blindly copying and pasting).

I am reading back and forth from different tutorials and i think i am just confusing myself. Any help is still needed

ratcheer
May 30th, 2011, 11:52 PM
Ouch. We both posted at the same time.

I can try to help for a while. Run "df -Th" and post the output.

Tim

dFlyer
May 30th, 2011, 11:55 PM
Your /home folder is still under /. When you created your / as 10 gigs, which is about right for /. After that did you create another partition and assign it as /home with the rest of your free space?

motherboyxx
May 31st, 2011, 11:20 AM
Your /home folder is still under /. When you created your / as 10 gigs, which is about right for /. After that did you create another partition and assign it as /home with the rest of your free space?

Thats what I thought I did. Its seemed straight forward enough when i did it. df -Th output below

dan@dan-Inspiron-1545:~$ df -Th
Filesystem Type Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1 ext4 9.2G 4.4G 4.4G 50% /
none devtmpfs 2.0G 680K 2.0G 1% /dev
none tmpfs 2.0G 1.6M 2.0G 1% /dev/shm
none tmpfs 2.0G 96K 2.0G 1% /var/run
none tmpfs 2.0G 0 2.0G 0% /var/lock
/dev/sda5 ext4 285G 1.1G 269G 1% /media/home

my /home is right there on the /sda5 partition so unless I fixed it in my sleep I am unsure of why my files are saving under the /sda1 partition. I appreciate all your help guys

ratcheer
May 31st, 2011, 12:35 PM
Ok, you are almost there.

1) mv /home /home_old

2) mv /media/home /home

3) Edit /etc/fstab to change the line for /dev/sda5 to be mounted at /home

Reboot and it should come up the way you want it.

Tim

motherboyxx
May 31st, 2011, 01:53 PM
Ok, you are almost there.

1) mv /home /home_old

2) mv /media/home /home

3) Edit /etc/fstab to change the line for /dev/sda5 to be mounted at /home

Reboot and it should come up the way you want it.

Tim
# (identifier) (location, eg sda5) (format, eg ext3 or ext4) (some settings)
UUID=bd2e08e1-ba0a-4ecb-9746-757ed9604bb4 /media/home ext4 nodev,nosuid 0 2

Just to confirm since I am at work and cannot do this till I get home tonight but step 3 I should just change UUID=******/media/home to the new mount point of UUID=*****/home

Just remove the /media/ ?

ratcheer
May 31st, 2011, 02:00 PM
No, no, no.

The UUID of /dev/sda5 should not be changed. It is the mount point you are changing, from /media/home to /home. Follow my instructions from my prior post (#14).

Tim

PS - Sorry. Maybe that is what you mean. Yes, on the fstab line for /dev/sda5, where the mount point is currently "/media/home", just change that to "/home".

motherboyxx
May 31st, 2011, 09:07 PM
Thanks guys for all the help. I just backed up my data and ran the fstab editor and remounted /media/home to just /home. All seems to be working now as should be. I tried mv/home/home_old and I got an error message saying I could not do that. So i just backed up the data and changed the mount point for that partition.

ratcheer
May 31st, 2011, 10:27 PM
Excellent. After things work for a while, you can just delete the old home directory. You may need to do it with root permissions (sudo).

Tim