PDA

View Full Version : Chrome v. Chromium

Septuagenarian
May 30th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Would anyone please be kind enough to tell me exactly what is the difference between Chrome and Chromium web browsers ? Also does the "Incognito" function work as even though I have all the history , cookies , and recent pages deleted at shutdown , they still keep appearing in my startup page .

Paqman
May 30th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Chromium as an open source project that Google set up to feed development of Chrome. Chromium tends to be a bit more "bleeding edge" than Chrome. Google takes the Chromium code, wraps it up in Google branding, and releases it as Chrome. They also insert the tinfoil hat generating feature at this point.

Zero2Nine
May 30th, 2011, 09:56 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium_%28web_browser%29#Differences_from_Google _Chrome

Incognito should work the same way on both browsers. Are you using chrome or chromium? I use chromium en whenever I use the incognito mode visited pages do not show up on the startup page.

Septuagenarian
May 30th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the links , I now have a clearer understanding of the two . I tried to install Chrome but it hung up half way through each time so tried Chromium which installed no problem . Not sure I like it , but will give it a try for a while , but wish it would do as asked and delete all history . I've used " under the bonnet " but despite opting for clear everything on exit , it doesn't . I suspect there is some sort of tracking or usage function active .