PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Running iTunes using WINE for home sharing?

8Sir4Sam5
May 30th, 2011, 06:00 AM
Hi, this is my first post on this site so please excuse me if I didnt do something right or posted it in the wrong area. Thanks!

So heres the story:
Im considering buying a 2nd gen apple tv and using home sharing to load movies onto it from my computer. Im running Ubuntu 11.4 and using the latest version of Wine to use iTunes 10. iTunes runs decently fine w/ a couple of small bugs (screen turns temporarily black,laggy,etc.) so im okay with that. The real problem is that my music isnt playing at all. I mean i can load it onto itunes but i cant listen to it. Combine that with the lag and it can get a little irritating. So my question is, even with the inability of listening to music and the lag in the program, would i be able to stream content to my aTV w/out any bugs or no. I dont want to watch or listen to any of that content on my computer, just on my aTV but I am wondering if this inability would affect the playback on the apple tv. I dont even want to sync any ipods or anything like that, just sync the aTV (if even needed) for setup and use home sharing to listen to music, watch movies and tv shows, etc. on my apple tv w/out any frame rate drops or hitches or anything like that. An immediate answer would be much obliged.
Thanks for any help!

8Sir4Sam5
May 31st, 2011, 12:59 AM
Can anybody help? I need some kind of info on this if it would work through home sharing regardless of not working on the computer. Any help would be much appreciated!
Note: If you dont do home sharing w/ apple tv (if u even HAVE one), its the same thing with ipods, ipads, other mac products, even computers w/ itunes on it.

8Sir4Sam5
June 1st, 2011, 05:18 AM
So i figured no one would help me with this at all so i had spent the night researching this and how it would work. I eventually came to the conclusion that if your computer is lagging within the iTunes 10 program run by wine to the point where it is irritating to run, plus the inability to listen to any music in the library, most likely Apple Tv2 wont be able to stabily run and use homeshare.
I have managed to come up with a possible work around to this problem. I am going to use doubletwist app for windows w/ wine running it for syncing content over to my android phone w/ the doubletwist app installed onto it. Then from the phone, I'll sync via wifi to the apple tv2 and make my phone act as though it is a computer to browse all my music and video files through the homesharing computers tab. Basically, this means that I would be able to use my phone to sync content over to the aTV2 through wireless networks.
I'll see how this works out and post my results later.

demck85
June 13th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Bump.

I would like to know how that worked out. I'll be in a similar situation.

atca
June 16th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Share your Ubuntu media with AppleTV 2 : Ubuntu + iTunes (WINE) + ATV2 (http://confoundedtech.blogspot.com/2011/06/share-your-ubuntu-media-with-appletv-2.html)

http://confoundedtech.blogspot.com/2011/06/share-your-ubuntu-media-with-appletv-2.html

sco0bydo0byd0p3
October 15th, 2011, 10:49 PM
What I'd like to see is an open implementation of home sharing for use in other media players. Till then, the best bet is to load windows xp on a virtualbox vm and run itunes from there. (works fine, as long as have decent spec pc - but you need a copy of xp... :( ).