PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu 11.04 Wrong Installion

heyappleknife
May 30th, 2011, 02:54 AM
I accidentally selected the wrong way to install Ubuntu while installing it. I installed it by restarting my computer and installing. I installed it on my hard drive with Windows 7 on it. I want to keep Windows 7. I have another hard drive I'm trying to install Ubuntu on. I'm wondering if I install Ubuntu on that other hard drive then can I delete the Ubuntu partition I have installed on my Win7 drive without ANY problems going to Ubuntu and Win 7?

Bucky Ball
May 30th, 2011, 02:57 AM
Have you installed using 'Use whole disk' on the Win partition? If so, Win7 will be gone.

If you install Ubuntu on a different hard drive (or partition) to Win then it will pick up the Win install (and any other OS) and add that to the grub selection at boot without you having to do much. To achieve what you want to do you need to do a manual install, not automatic, when you get to the partitioning section of the installation and select or create the correct partition/disk where you want to install Ubuntu.

jerrrys
May 30th, 2011, 02:59 AM
it will mess up your boot. do you have your windows rescue cd?

beat by bb...hope you didnt, but if you did

heyappleknife
May 30th, 2011, 04:18 AM
Windows 7 is still here. As I said it's but on the SAME hard drive as Windows just a different partition.

So wait. If I delete my current Ubuntu partition and reinstall Ubuntu I will still be able to access Win 7?

Usually I correctly install it.

Bucky Ball
May 30th, 2011, 04:57 AM
If you update grub you probably will be able to boot Windows7. Not sure about grub2 but open a terminal (Applications>Accessories>Terminal) and try:

sudo update-grubAnother good tool is Grub Customiser. You will be able to see all OS on your machine and add them to the boot menu with one click.

Just one thing: Is your machine just booting straight into Ubuntu and not giving you any options for anything else? If so, at boot hit (repeatedly) escape (could be shift in 11.04) and that should bring up your grub menu, probably with Win7 on it.

If that is the case you can change that permanently in Ubuntu. Let us know how you went.

heyappleknife
May 30th, 2011, 08:00 PM
First. I was able to get to Windows and Ubuntu. Second, I didn't realize Ubuntu installed on the hard drive I wanted so I don't need help. Now. I will need help on another computer but I'll wait to start up a new Thread.

dFlyer
May 30th, 2011, 08:03 PM
First. I was able to get to Windows and Ubuntu. Second, I didn't realize Ubuntu installed on the hard drive I wanted so I don't need help. Now. I will need help on another computer but I'll wait to start up a new Thread.

Please mark this thread RESOLVED.