PDA

View Full Version : Would you put an optical drive in a new build?

cptrohn
May 29th, 2011, 11:18 PM
I'm getting ready to start a new build and am seriously thinking of just deleting the optical drive out of the equation altogether.... I mean I really don't actually need one these days you know? You can load pretty much everything off a flash drive or download what you need these days... It just seems like an unneeded expense for a technology that people are moving away from.

jerenept
May 29th, 2011, 11:28 PM
I'm getting ready to start a new build and am seriously thinking of just deleting the optical drive out of the equation altogether.... I mean I really don't actually need one these days you know? You can load pretty much everything off a flash drive or download what you need these days... It just seems like an unneeded expense for a technology that people are moving away from.

I haven't had an optical drive for two years, and I don't miss it. I suggest you not include it.

Artemis3
May 30th, 2011, 12:01 AM
You can keep an USB one around just in case.

conradin
May 30th, 2011, 12:08 AM
I was done with optical drives by 2005. I keep an external around just in case. But I havent included any in a build since 2005 either.

Shibblet
May 30th, 2011, 12:09 AM
Blu-Ray?

Gremlinzzz
May 30th, 2011, 12:22 AM
First the floppy now the optical drive what,s next the OS?
I,d put one in just in case.

cptrohn
May 30th, 2011, 12:22 AM
Blu-Ray?

I personally feel that blu ray isn't worth messing with myself. I think the video disk format is a dying medium altogether.

Artemis3
May 30th, 2011, 12:50 AM
I personally feel that blu ray isn't worth messing with myself. I think the video disk format is a dying medium altogether. Agreed, Stream / download is taking over. Backing up is an interesting issue, although some people are storing online it creates dependency with a third party and must have a working system with connectivity to retrieve it.

Curiously the SD format was designed for content delivery (instead of optical discs) but the industry never cared. It's the smallest media i can bear. But its so convenient when your machines are equipped with readers.

tgm4883
May 30th, 2011, 12:58 AM
I personally feel that blu ray isn't worth messing with myself. I think the video disk format is a dying medium altogether.

Personally I think that optical disks are over as well, however I'm a quality nut and streaming video is still behind in this regard. That said, netflix is doing some great things here.

I'd say ditch the optical drive for new builds. Keep a Bluray drive in one of your systems though.

c2006
May 30th, 2011, 01:11 AM
I still would. I'd probably make it a blu-ray drive though. But then I'm the type who likes to have physical media. Sure, USB drives are great, but I lose those much more easily. :p

Hell, I still have a floppy drive around somewhere, even though I never use it.

And ditto with just in case. Although all modern motherboards will boot from USB (and I don't even have to fiddle with the boot order anymore courtesy of a BBS* popup that I can get to by hitting F8 at the appropriate time at boot). Optical drives are proven technology. I think they'll take a similar length of time to die as floppies did -- their capacities are still useful.

5 years from now I might give a different answer. For now, I'd keep one handy.

*Bios Boot Selection menu. One of the better additions to BIOSes over the years.

Dustin2128
May 30th, 2011, 01:34 AM
Just put a cheap DVD burner combo drive in, won't run you more than 20$, and you'll be thankful you have one if you ever need it.

handy
May 30th, 2011, 01:39 AM
Yes.

They now cost next to nothing. Having one gives you access to information on optical media. Allows you to back up something & put it away safely for years on cheap media.

If you are a photographer you can use 4GB memory sticks, which makes it really easy to upload the content of a stick to your computer, backup to a DVD & free your stick(s).

forrestcupp
May 30th, 2011, 03:17 AM
Blu-Ray?+1

The next computer I'm getting will have a blu-ray drive. I've already ripped all of my DVD movies to a hard drive, and I'm wanting to start ripping my blu-rays.

Disc format is dying, but it's very far from being dead. We're just now getting 3D Blu-rays. It's not going to be dying anytime soon, certainly not before a computer of today will be obsolete.

desktorp
May 30th, 2011, 03:29 AM
My card reader cluster, above my optical drive, includes a 3.5" floppy drive. Honestly, it's only there to impress upon my Grandmother, just how classy I really am. She would always complain to me about how her new computer(s) have no floppy drives. So when I was building this computer, I knew she was soon to be visiting. So far she's the only one who thinks it's cool.

Discs will be cool again someday.. for a little while. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_Versatile_Disc)

GWBouge
May 30th, 2011, 03:30 AM
Absolutely. Ripping CD's/DVD's/Blu-Ray to mass storage, and, maybe it's just me, I like to have hard copies of software I purchase. Plus it's just good to have just in case, unless you're just strapped for 5.25" bays.

aaaantoine
May 30th, 2011, 03:31 AM
You can keep an USB one around just in case.

This +1. I'm planning to transfer the guts of my desktop to a smaller case, and I likely won't transfer the optical drive.

Bandit
May 30th, 2011, 03:33 AM
YES

I always put a DVD drive into a system. They are only 20bucks USD and when things dont go right, you want as many options on installing a OS as you can get.

PhillyPhil
May 30th, 2011, 03:55 AM
No.

No point. I have one in my current tower but it's unplugged (has some problem that occasionally causes the computer to behave strangely) and I don't miss it in the slightest.

I install OSs via the usb ports.
I don't buy data on physical media, I buy (or don't buy, as the case may be) online.

My next desktop wont have one at all. Waste of space, material, energy and money (even if it is only $20).

drawkcab
May 30th, 2011, 05:54 AM
As long as you have one system with an optical drive, that should be sufficient because, as others have noted, it comes in handy when you need it.

earthpigg
May 30th, 2011, 06:27 AM
The system I built in 2009 didn't have an optical drive, and the only time I've missed it was a class that required watching a DVD to go with the workbook (class was ASL).

But, a USB optical drive was fine. That is my current recommendation: One USB optical drive per household or circle of friends (much like pickup trucks).

Paqman
May 30th, 2011, 09:41 AM
I would for a desktop, because some games I still play require a disk. Also, I'm studying for a degree by distance learning, and some of the course materials (eg: software) are still issued on a disk. They're getting better about putting more of it online, but it's still in a transition phase, you can't really expect them to replace all the course resources until the course comes up for review anyway.

LowSky
May 30th, 2011, 09:50 AM
I have a bluray drive and dont use it for bluray at all. I still make disks here and there, but only because music is such a big deal to me and most cars dont accpet a usb drive. i do find it easier to make ISOs over IMGs too.

Zero2Nine
May 30th, 2011, 10:22 AM
If the price of blu-ray drives drops I would think about putting one in my next system. Like others have said: just to be sure and I also like owning a physical product.

3rdalbum
May 30th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Good luck with not having an optical drive. You can't rip CDs or DVDs using a flash drive :-)

earthpigg
May 30th, 2011, 10:57 AM
snarky comment edited out :)

BrokenKingpin
May 30th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Yes, but only because I have a number of DVD burners just kicking around. They still come in handy once in a while. Also, I could see putting a BluRay drive in my media center at some point, or have one for backing up data on BluRay disks.

If I was to purchase a new laptop I would not want an optical drive in it, I would rather save the space and weight.

CharlesA
May 30th, 2011, 02:50 PM
My next build won't have a optical drive in it as the only thing I use it for nowadays is installing software, not watching movies and whatnot.

If I need to install anything off disc, I'll just use my external usb drive.

cptrohn
June 2nd, 2011, 10:33 PM
I just don't think I will really be needing one in the future though... and I already have a DVD drive in my mythbox set-up... Heck I have been using my netbook almost exclusively for a while now and don't miss the optical drive at all with it....

KingYaba
June 2nd, 2011, 10:45 PM
Include a DVD drive because they're cheap. You can find them for $17.99 or less in some cases.

If the price of blu-ray drives drops I would think about putting one in my next system. Like others have said: just to be sure and I also like owning a physical product.

Absolutely. BluRay movie rentals are $1.25 and I like watching movies on my computer. Having a big backup on a BluRay disc is also nice--I don't have to have a dozen DVDs anymore. I think physical copies are invaluable.

Jackslaps
June 2nd, 2011, 10:53 PM
In my next build I might put in a Blu-Ray player. This is only because I want my computer to be an all-in-one solution to television. The nearest Blockbuster is only 4 blocks away and is still alive and kicking, so I rent Blu-Ray movies every once in a while to watch with my family. However I like to rent movies for myself as well, so I'd like to have a Blu-Ray player in my room... without having to buy an actual Blu-Ray player. With a drive in my computer, I can do much more than a standalone player and just watch the movies I rent; I can burn, rip, etc. I'm also getting a TV tuner card so that I can record my TV shows. It's much more convenient.

I'm also thinking about getting this monitor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260020

It has all the ports I need in order to connect my computer as well as my game consoles.

Old_Grey_Wolf
June 2nd, 2011, 11:11 PM
I have 2 desktops and 1 laptop with failed optical drives. I haven't replaced then. I have 2 netbooks that didn't come with optical drives. That is 5 out of 10 computers without optical drives.

I have a USB optical drive that I use when I need one. As rarely as I need an optical drive, that one USB optical drive can service all the computers I have.

I would buy a USB optical drive. You can use it on any computer you have or may have in the future. You can share it with friends and family when they need one.

I also have a USB floppy drive. I have actually needed to use it at least once in the last 2 years. :)

cptrohn
June 3rd, 2011, 01:32 AM
I have 2 desktops and 1 laptop with failed optical drives. I haven't replaced then. I have 2 netbooks that didn't come with optical drives. That is 5 out of 10 computers without optical drives.

I have a USB optical drive that I use when I need one. As rarely as I need an optical drive, that one USB optical drive can service all the computers I have.

I would buy a USB optical drive. You can use it on any computer you have or may have in the future. You can share it with friends and family when they need one.

I also have a USB floppy drive. I have actually needed to use it at least once in the last 2 years. :)

Yes I am thinking maybe an external might be a good option to have around now..... Then if I actually did need one for the other 2 machines then I could do that....

wolfen69
June 3rd, 2011, 03:42 AM

I still use cd's and dvd's. So for me, it's worth it.

Btw, love your avatar. Go Colts!
http://www.gambling911.com/files/publisher/Peyton-Manning-080308B.jpg?0

juancarlospaco
June 3rd, 2011, 03:55 AM
At the place i live, new PC dont have any optical drive...

jtarin
June 3rd, 2011, 07:47 AM
Good luck with not having an optical drive. You can't rip CDs or DVDs using a flash drive :-)
Amen to that.

3Miro
June 3rd, 2011, 08:49 PM
You will mostly not need one, but you can still run into a situation where you would need CD/DVD.

They should be cheap enough nowadays.

mips
June 3rd, 2011, 09:30 PM
NO. Whatever I build still contains a optical drive and a 1.44MB stiffy drive.

wolfen69
June 3rd, 2011, 09:51 PM
You will mostly not need one, but you can still run into a situation where you would need CD/DVD.

They should be cheap enough nowadays.

I've seen name brand drives for $18 on Newegg.

cptrohn
June 10th, 2011, 05:40 AM
I still use cd's and dvd's. So for me, it's worth it.

Btw, love your avatar. Go Colts!
http://www.gambling911.com/files/publisher/Peyton-Manning-080308B.jpg?0

Yep love my Colts! LOL now is that CT I see mean Conn.? I thought everybody in NE was a Pats fan?