PDA

View Full Version : Do you smoke?

PCaddicted
May 29th, 2011, 10:35 PM
I don't.To smoke means to take a lot of health risks(I won't describe them here,they're too numerous).Needless to say that smokers stink horribly.

spcwingo
May 29th, 2011, 10:44 PM
I used to smoke, but I had gotten to the point that I couldn't hardly breathe...that was enough...no more cigs for me! Sadly, to quit smoking I turned to smokeless tobacco (Copenhagen snuff), but at least I can breathe now.

Dustin2128
May 29th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Nope, smells horrible and irritates my lungs.

Timmer1240
May 29th, 2011, 10:47 PM
Its a bad bad deal I dont smoke that much but planning on quiting dont ever start its a bad deal!

el_koraco
May 29th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Yeah, and I swimm, go figure.

lightstream
May 29th, 2011, 10:52 PM
Smoking sucks!

I'm a very reluctant smoker, cut right down but can't quite kick the habit entirely. I also swim and cycle a lot; I would love the extra fitness that not smoking would bring.

Linuxratty
May 29th, 2011, 10:59 PM
Sadly, to quit smoking I turned to smokeless tobacco (Copenhagen snuff), but at least I can breathe now.

I'm allergic to tobacco smoke.
I also had a friend in college and her dad using chewing tobacco. It caused cancer in his jaw. Half of his jaw had to be removed. he continued to use snuff,but parked it in the other side. Eating will be a challenge for him when the other side develops cancer as well.

el_koraco
May 29th, 2011, 11:01 PM
I also swim and cycle a lot; I would love the extra fitness that not smoking would bring.

omg, when you're doing the fourth turn in the pool, or climbing up a hill, and there's just no freaking air...

athenroy
May 29th, 2011, 11:06 PM
I stopped smoking the first time, for 2 years, in 1987, than went back to it when I went through a divorce in 1989. I stopped again about a month ago with the aid of nicotine gum. Now the next challenge is to cut back on the gum! At least the gum is more "socially acceptable"! Sorta like Methadone! :lolflag:

odiseo77
May 29th, 2011, 11:08 PM
I quit 3 years ago (smoked for about 13 years). I consider myself lucky I could quit, since I used to smoke 2 packs a day.

spcwingo
May 29th, 2011, 11:26 PM
I also had a friend in college and her dad using chewing tobacco. It caused cancer in his jaw. Half of his jaw had to be removed. he continued to use snuff,but parked it in the other side. Eating will be a challenge for him when the other side develops cancer as well.

Believe me, I'm well aware of the consequences. If only I had know that smokeless tobacco is far more addictive than smoking, then I never would have gone to it. I would have just quit smoking "cold turkey". BTW, I'm sorry to hear of your friend's father.

wojox
May 29th, 2011, 11:27 PM
Quit almost one year ago.

Copper Bezel
May 29th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Like a chimney and without apology. = )

Gremlinzzz
May 30th, 2011, 12:18 AM
Na,think it,s just steam!
Don;t smoke cigarettes any more or any less?
used too quit.:D

Macskeeball
May 30th, 2011, 12:23 AM
Never have. Never will. I can't stand the stuff.

cloyd
May 30th, 2011, 12:26 AM
Quit many years ago . . . I have never regretted it. I smoked a pipe, and I still don't like to go into a tobacco store . . . the aroma still tempts me. However, quitting was one of the hardest and best things I ever did.

rosenkavalier
May 30th, 2011, 03:20 AM
I like smoking kretek cigarettes... not smoke that much, a pack for two days...
gives some relaxation and a bonus, asthma attack each time I wake up in the morning

forrestcupp
May 30th, 2011, 03:21 AM
I've been meaning to start. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Bandit
May 30th, 2011, 03:27 AM
I choose "I have never smoked and I'm not tempted to try it."
But this is in regards to Cigarettes as I cant stand the smell of them and they are purely disgusting in my books.

That being said, I don't mind smoking a pipe (not Maryjane or crack) or a hooka "water pipe/bong thing". And even some quality Cigars are nice. Rose flavored tobacco in a pipe or hooka is very very nice and of course black cheery is a huge favorite to most everyone. But I find even those tobaccos to be cleaner.

aaaantoine
May 30th, 2011, 03:29 AM
Cigarettes, no. I've smoked a handful of cigars in my life, though. Never had a tobacco/nicotine addiction, thank God.

forrestcupp
May 30th, 2011, 03:38 AM
And even some quality Cigars are nice. Rose flavored tobacco in a pipe or hooka is very very nice and of course black cheery is a huge favorite to most everyone.

I've smoked a handful of cigars in my life, though.
I'll have a cheap, nasty ol' Swisher Sweets stogie around a camp fire now and then. I used to have a pipe, but I never got the hang of it. I haven't smoked anything for several years, though.

Superkoop
May 30th, 2011, 04:03 AM
I usually get sick when I smoke very much, not vomit sick, but like collapse to the floor sick. It's a bit weird, a couple years ago I smoked two cigs and a cigar, I collapsed and I practically had to be carried to bed... I was fine the next morning, but ever since I've stuck with just one, and it's only occasionally.
... though I do get a kick out of french inhaling, it makes me feel so hardcore...

Markmental
May 30th, 2011, 04:05 AM
Smoking is bad

spcwingo
May 30th, 2011, 04:17 AM
Smoking is bad

MMMKay. :)

mmsmc
May 30th, 2011, 07:11 AM
not cigarettes, but a good Cuban cigar can do a man well once in a while, then there is a hand carved wood pipe. and this is not daily, maybe once a few months, because you can still get cancer

Bandit
May 30th, 2011, 07:29 AM
I'll have a cheap, nasty ol' Swisher Sweets stogie around a camp fire now and then. I used to have a pipe, but I never got the hang of it. I haven't smoked anything for several years, though.

Yea I havent had anything in a few years also.
But then again I am a firm believer in moderation. I drink because I like the taste of beer or scotch, not because it gets you drunk after 40 of them. I also hardly ever get drunk. Except for those rare parties once every 2 to 3 years.

So IMHO moderation is good. But when it comes to cigarettes I firmly believe they do add very bad chemicals that make the body very addicted to them, more then just nicotine.

tapi0n
May 30th, 2011, 09:42 AM
I've been smoking for about 7 years now and still loving every cigarette I smoke.

What I find very funny that people can act so anti-smoking and be 'omg smoking is bad'. Of course smoking is bad, as a smoker that's your choice, you think it's healthier spending every god given day on your butt staring at a computer screen? Not to mention the tons of snacks and fast food and liters of sugar drinks.

I respect non-smokers, but damn those anti-smokers!

xc3RnbFO8P
May 30th, 2011, 09:45 AM
I am a former smoker.

matthewbpt
May 30th, 2011, 09:54 AM
You don't have the enough choices, I imagine there are a lot of people who "have tried a cigarette but don't smoke". I can't say I have never smoked because I have tried a cigarette, but I can't say I'm a former smoker because having smoked only one or two cigarettes ever does not constitute being a former smoker ... Sorry I can't answer your poll.

xc3RnbFO8P
May 30th, 2011, 10:26 AM
You don't have the enough choices, I imagine there are a lot of people who "have tried a cigarette but don't smoke". I can't say I have never smoked because I have tried a cigarette, but I can't say I'm a former smoker because having smoked only one or two cigarettes ever does not constitute being a former smoker ... Sorry I can't answer your poll.

You are a former smoker :)
Or maybe it is impossible to quit smoking, we are all passive smokers?

Random_Dude
May 30th, 2011, 12:15 PM
I've never smoked, but I probably won't die without trying.
I'm not saying that I want to smoke to get "cool" or anything (I'm past my teenage years), but it isn't one of those things that I say that I'll never do.

Cheers :cool:

matthewbpt
May 30th, 2011, 12:33 PM
You are a former smoker :)
Or maybe it is impossible to quit smoking, we are all passive smokers?

LOL, trying a cigarette does not make me a former smoker!

An adult who has smoked at least 100 cigarettes in his or her lifetime but who had quit smoking at the time of interview.

Although I suppose living in an urban environment does make me a passive smoker :(

Nyromith
May 30th, 2011, 12:55 PM
I really wanted to start smoking, because it *is* cool, but I didn't like the feeling afterwards. Each time I tried I felt very weak and tired.

When I tried a pipe and cigars the feeling was much better, so perhaps I'll smoke them in the future. Beside, they are even cooler than cigarettes.

Docaltmed
May 30th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Interestingly, a growing part of my practice over the past 6 months has been helping smokers kick the habit. I use acupuncture and herbs, and add to it a healthy dose of behavior modification and education.

Addiction cessation is a low-success activity, but I've been doing pretty well so far, mostly because I screen my potential patients.

It is an ugly addiction to quit. The U.S. is just below 20%, which is about as low as we're likely to get.

t0p
May 30th, 2011, 01:06 PM
I smoke all sorts of stuff, tobacco included: 20+ cigarettes per day, plus on occasion I will have a cigar (I'm partial to coronas - not as gargantuan as Cubans, but still a hefty object to go around hanging out of my mouth).

I have no feelings of guilt about smoking. For some time now, here in the UK, smoking has been banned from bars, restaurants, etc; so if I'm smoking it's in the privacy of my own home, or someone else's place where he doesn't mind smoking - so if anyone's gonna get "passive smoking" related problems off of me, they have to be actively trying to. I don't force anyone to come over to me and breathe my toxic fumes.

The scientific jury is still out concerning the effects (if any) of "passive smoking" outside. As for the risks to my own health: I've been smoking for nearly 30 years, and apart from the occasional breathlessness when playing with my dog I haven't noticed any problems. I've known people who've smoked regularly for over 70 or 80 years. Leave my civil liberties alone for the sake of the goddess! Sheesh!

EDIT: As for the "kissing an ashtray" argument: most, if not all of the women I've gone out with have also been smokers. So neither they or I have experienced the so-called "horrible taste" of snogging a smoker.

Hutom
May 30th, 2011, 01:08 PM
If you ask me I would say I am not a smoker anymore. I did quit smoking years back. but then I do smoke occasionally :D. Say if I smoke a cig every 6 month...would I be considered as a smoker?

Random_Dude
May 30th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Say if I smoke a cig every 6 month...would I be considered as a smoker?

I wouldn't say so.
My definition of a smoker is someone who is addicted and, therefore, cannot go one day without smoking. But that's just my definition.

tjwoosta
May 30th, 2011, 01:46 PM
I smoked tobacco for 6 years (started in middle school) and quit a few years back. I still smoke cannabis once in a while and have no desire to quit.

tapi0n
May 30th, 2011, 01:47 PM
I wouldn't say so.
My definition of a smoker is someone who is addicted and, therefore, cannot go one day without smoking. But that's just my definition.

How about people who smoke just because they like it?

RiceMonster
May 30th, 2011, 01:53 PM
No, I don't. I have tried both cigarettes and cigars. I found them both to be disgusting, though cigars were slightly less so. Obviously the risk of nicotine addiction and the extremely negative health effects are a concern as well.

Random_Dude
May 30th, 2011, 02:22 PM
How about people who smoke just because they like it?

Can they go a month without smoking with no problem at all?
If so, I don't consider them smokers. For me, a smoker is someone who is addicted.

What is your definition?

nitstorm
May 30th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Smoking 4 years now.
Infact smoking as I type this now :P

Cheers!

BrokenKingpin
May 30th, 2011, 02:30 PM
I smoked for about a year when I was younger, but only about 5 a day. Quitting wasn't all that bad for me, and I don't see myself starting again because my wife would kill me.

galacticaboy
May 30th, 2011, 02:31 PM
I am in the process of quitting. It is a horrible habit to get into. If you are a smoker, please know that there is help out there. Check out your states quit smoking resources. Like Linux, there is a whole community out there willing to help you. I called my state quit line and they helped alot, they even provided me with patches. Thanks to them, I am smoke free!

fyfe54
May 30th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Not since 1984, so now I have been not smoking WAY longer than I smoked.

Andreawws
May 30th, 2011, 02:38 PM
no smoking here, neither will I ever smoke ^^

tapi0n
May 30th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Can they go a month without smoking with no problem at all?
If so, I don't consider them smokers. For me, a smoker is someone who is addicted.

What is your definition?

For me a smoker is someone who smokes on a regular bases. Being addicted has little to do with it.

Hwæt
May 30th, 2011, 02:49 PM
I'm a smoker if you count cigars, but I never inhale them and only smoke them on special occasions. I wouldn't be caught dead within 10 feet of a cigarette. Plus, I've already got a massive caffeine addiction, so I don't need a nicotine one on top of it.

dwhite
May 30th, 2011, 04:20 PM
no, if it killed you quickly i'd be more inclined to try but usually such a long, drawn out death i'd rather not.

azim.charaniya
May 30th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Smoking kills
Dont Smoke
Let others Live

Random_Dude
May 30th, 2011, 04:32 PM
For me a smoker is someone who smokes on a regular bases. Being addicted has little to do with it.

Everyone has it's own definition. ;)

gutterslob
May 30th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Yes, I do smoke.
Been cutting down, but I don't think I'll give it up just yet.
Average consumption is around 3 packs (20 sticks each) a week.

I'd definitely quit tobacco if they legalized weed where I lived.

Irihapeti
May 30th, 2011, 04:38 PM
I smoked off and on for a few years. First time round, it was because I wanted to be "cool" (yeah, pathetic, I know). The other times, it was largely because of boredom. I quit for the last time over 35 years ago.

Nowadays I find other ways to beat the boredom, like logging onto ubuntuforums.

forrestcupp
May 30th, 2011, 05:14 PM
What I find very funny that people can act so anti-smoking and be 'omg smoking is bad'. Of course smoking is bad, as a smoker that's your choiceI don't give a rat's backside if you make the choice to harm yourself with smoking. But if you smoke around my kids in an enclosed area, I might have something to say about it.

EDIT: As for the "kissing an ashtray" argument: most, if not all of the women I've gone out with have also been smokers. So neither they or I have experienced the so-called "horrible taste" of snogging a smoker.
Did you ever think that maybe that's because you are a smoker and you are already immune to the taste? I've kissed one smoker, and as a nonsmoker, I can tell you that it was nasty.

ratcheer
May 30th, 2011, 05:23 PM
I smoked until Jan 1, 1973, quitting cold turkey on a New Year's resolution.

Tim

Little Bones
May 30th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Occasional cigar.

TeoBigusGeekus
May 30th, 2011, 07:56 PM
I've been smoking for 16 years; been rolling my own ones for the last 13.
I have a body and I want to wear it down as I live; I don't want to die healthy.

coolbrook
May 30th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Smoke leaves residue on your components.

Fedz
May 30th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Voted: I do smoke but I wish to give up.

I don't smoke cigarettes ever but, smoke tobacco (hand rolling).

Stared when I was 21 when in the Royal Artillery. Now 41 I ain't long off stopping :D

Dry Lips
May 30th, 2011, 08:21 PM
I used to smoke if I was boozing, but not on a daily basis.
I did also use to smoke “vanilla flavoured tobacco”, but now
I've given up smoking stuff for good.

Smoking is definitively not good for you, my granddad died a
few years ago because of COPD.
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Chronic_obstructive_pulmonary_disease
He had smoked since he was 11, but never completely managed
to kick the habit, even when he was really sick. It's an awful decease,
he needed extra oxygen in addition to lots of medication in order
to relieve his breath. If you want to know what it's like, try to
breathe through a drinking straw.

DrSeemann
May 30th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Yes I do, not a lot. 10 or so. Trying to quit, but not having enough courage even thou there are lot of reasons to quit. I know it's really bad, and harmful for my health and people around me so, I don't smoke close to sensitive people even on open spaces.
A nice example of how much harmful cigarettes are, ask a smoker what happens if the "white smoke" (before being inhaled) touches one of his eyes.

lisati
May 30th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Missing option in poll? "Only when I walk too fast" :)

Smoking sucks!
I'm not a smoker, it's the cigarette that smokes. I'm just the sucker on the end! :)

But seriously, I need to stop. As some of the forum users might be aware, Mrs Lisati is recuperating in hospital after a experiencing a stroke a few days before her 41st birthday. As far as I know, she hasn't had a smoke for something like two months and I've promised her a smoke-free home to come back to.

Dry Lips
May 30th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Missing option in poll? "Only when I walk too fast" :)

I'm not a smoker, it's the cigarette that smokes. I'm just the sucker on the end! :)

But seriously, I need to stop. As some of the forum users might be aware, Mrs Lisati is recuperating in hospital after a experiencing a stroke a few days before her 41st birthday. As far as I know, she hasn't had a smoke for something like two months and I've promised her a smoke-free home to come back to.

Good luck to you as well as your wife! (I've got family close to me who have
had strokes as well.)

lisati
May 30th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Good luck to you as well as your wife! (I've got family close to me who have
had strokes as well.)
Thank you for your kind thoughts.

akand074
May 30th, 2011, 09:00 PM
I don't smoke, never will. That said I've had a cigarette here and there. Cigars too on occasion. But I mean only during occasions.

blackmail
May 30th, 2011, 09:01 PM

I am not good with words, but best wishes from YAUU (Yet Another Ubuntu User)

I didn't quit smoking but i also don't smoke anymore in the house since my GF quit smoking, and when i am with her i smoke like 2-3 cigarettes a day... :)

danbuter
May 30th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Anytime I see a younger person smoking, I assume they are idiots. Everyone knows way too much about cigarettes nowadays to start smoking, unless they are stupid.

BigCityCat
May 31st, 2011, 12:02 AM
Quit 8 years ago. Will never smoke again. People can smoke around me and I could be drunk off my *** and would not smoke. How do I know that? Cause I've been there numerous times lol. I hated it when I did it and now that I am free I plan on staying that way.

jerrrys
May 31st, 2011, 02:53 AM
i like it, but that depends on what your smoking :D

Kenc3
May 31st, 2011, 03:02 AM
I smoked for 40 years and gave it up about 20 years ago.:popcorn:

Khakilang
May 31st, 2011, 04:48 AM
I am smoking less and less each year. Been smoking for 35 years and trying to quit. But I take vitamins and minerals and exercise to compensate for my health.

pbpersson
May 31st, 2011, 04:55 AM
Both my parents smoked but I never tried it and I am glad I didn't.

I saw a show that claimed they are now putting all sorts of chemicals into cigarettes to make them more addicting than ever.

I think of them as cancer sticks

However, there are many other things that can ruin one's health such as living in a polluted city, not exercising, being overweight, not getting enough rest, drinking too much, being in a stressful job......

uRock
May 31st, 2011, 05:20 AM
I smoked for 17 years. My wife and I both kicked the habit for our daughter's second birthday. It was hard to do, but worth every bit of the effort.

tjwoosta
May 31st, 2011, 09:06 AM
Anytime I see a younger person smoking, I assume they are idiots. Everyone knows way too much about cigarettes nowadays to start smoking, unless they are stupid.

It is true that everyone knows the dangers of smoking, but many young people just disregard the negative effects because they see all of their role models doing it and think its the cool thing to do. Sound a bit cliche, but its truth.

Even if the role models preach "don't smoke", but still smoke themselves, the kids usually grow up and do the same. Saying smoking is bad is very different from not smoking yourself.

tapi0n
May 31st, 2011, 09:27 AM
It is true that everyone knows the dangers of smoking, but many young people just disregard the negative effects because they see all of their role models doing it and think its the cool thing to do. Sound a bit cliche, but its truth.

Even if the role models preach "don't smoke", but still smoke themselves, the kids usually grow up and do the same. Saying smoking is bad is very different from not smoking yourself.

Ever thought of the fact that people just start smoking because they want to? Of course loads of people are addicted, but it's not like they can't make the decission of quiting. Because in the end it still remains a choice of the person.

It's easy to blame rolemodels, peers and other social factors for smoking. It's easy to say 'smoking is bad, smokers are stupid idiots'. But in my experience, non-smokers who play those cards are nothing more then hypocritical and ignorant people.

tjwoosta
May 31st, 2011, 10:37 AM
Ever thought of the fact that people just start smoking because they want to?

Then the question arises "why do they want to?". People just decide that it would be nice to slowly poison themselves for no good reason? More likely that they see other people doing it and decide to give it a go themselves and see what its all about.

Of course loads of people are addicted, but it's not like they can't make the decission of quiting. Because in the end it still remains a choice of the person.

I never even mentioned addiction, but I agree with you on this. I smoked about a pack a day for 6 years and quit cold turkey after seeing my father go through chemo.

It's easy to blame rolemodels, peers and other social factors for smoking. It's easy to say 'smoking is bad, smokers are stupid idiots'. But in my experience, non-smokers who play those cards are nothing more then hypocritical and ignorant people.

Its not about playing the blame game but attempting to find the psychological root of the issue. People dont all just randomly start smoking the same substance for no reason. Its a social epidemic.

sostentado
May 31st, 2011, 10:45 AM
yes i am... woohooo

tapi0n
May 31st, 2011, 11:00 AM
Then the question arises "why do they want to?". People just decide that it would be nice to slowly poison themselves for no good reason? More likely that they see other people doing it and decide to give it a go themselves and see what its all about.

I smoke because I like to smoke. I roll cigarettes (hardly smoke filters, unless someone offers me one but I don't like em that much) which has a fuller taste to it. And I do know quite a lot of people who smoke (not just tabacco) for the taste of it.

This question is one which always results in an infinite loop (I hope you can see that). For example I don't drink Coca Cola, still loads of people drink it. While it's a given that it's unhealthy. Do you see people going on and on about cola consumption?

On a side note, I do agree with you that there is a certain social role in starting to smoke in a lot of cases. But that's where it ends, once you tasted a cigarette and liked it, you keep smoking. If you didn't like it you should quit. People who continue to smoke although not liking it (in the beginning) are a different 'group' imo, and should not be related to people who actually smoke for pleasure.

gopherofdoom
May 31st, 2011, 11:23 AM
Needless to say that smokers stink horribly.
+1

I'm lucky in that no one in my family (at least in the last 3 generations) smoked. I do hold my breath when passing smokers on the street, and/or cross to the other side! Blech.

Good luck to all you who're cutting down and getting off it! :)

Edit - added:

I smoked for 17 years. My wife and I both kicked the habit for our daughter's second birthday. It was hard to do, but worth every bit of the effort.
That's seriously the best birthday present ever!

forrestcupp
May 31st, 2011, 06:43 PM
It's easy to say 'smoking is bad, smokers are stupid idiots'. But in my experience, non-smokers who play those cards are nothing more then hypocritical and ignorant people.
Maybe ignorant, but not hypocritical. Hypocritical means you do something then act like you don't do it and tell others not to do it. You can have a poor opinion of preachy non-smokers, but just use the right words when you talk about them.

Fedz
May 31st, 2011, 06:55 PM
'hypocritical and ignorant' in the fact we all do things that impact upon others directly & or indirectly.

When others question me about smoking I ask them do you drive a vehicle & when they answer 'yes', I then say well I don't & I don't want to breathe your vehicles fumes! So stop driving ;)

Get the analogy :D

uRock
May 31st, 2011, 06:57 PM
Do you see people going on and on about cola consumption?

Yes. I know lots of people who are anti-soda and try their hardest to get soda machines removed from schools.

Reasons we hear the most complaints about smokers;
1. It stinks.
2. It is one of the biggest reasons our health care is so expensive.
3. The price of produce would drop if farmers stopped growing tobacco and planted something edible.

dniMretsaM
May 31st, 2011, 06:58 PM
Nope. For one, I'm not old enough, but even when I am I won't. It's horrible for you. Tobacco is the only product (legally) made in the US that will kill you if used properly. It's horribly expensive, and it smells terrible. So do the smokers. So do their cars. So do their houses.

DougieFresh4U
May 31st, 2011, 09:16 PM
Smoke? Yes.