PDA

View Full Version : The Linux Body Politic

jcwinnie
May 29th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Google Chrome is my default browser. There also is a (Linux-based) Google Chrome OS. I was using Google Chrome before Google sent me a netbook to test. I like being in The Cloud.

At present, Google Chrome OS has a much smaller user population than any of the Ubuntu varieties, although netbooks will go on sale soon, so -- not a total surprise, politics, doncha' kno -- there are some hoops through which one must jump if one wants Chrome on many Ubuntu varieties.

I have been testing a persistent USB on a Linux (Linux, not Windows, I already am a convert). This is a challenge in itself. Still I have been able to get persistence with Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Lubuntu and Puppy Linux.

So I could have a sync-ed version of Google Chrome on the tested distro, I did some jumping. This is how I got through the gauntlet.

Make sure that you include Universe and Multiverse in your software repositories and that you have updated.

Go to official Google Chrome Download web site. Save the download.

Then 'sudo gdebi [Google Chrome downloaded file].deb -o=fix-broken'

You see, not only is Google Chrome non-free, but also certain dependencies. (All bow to the Great Adobe!) After you have successfully installed Google Chrome, a Google Chrome repository will have been added along with Google authentication, so that upgrades can occur.

BTW: Kudos to Lubuntu for Chromium (an outdated, open source version of Chrome) as default browser. At least one can sync with open source Chromium or Iron.

So such hoops / difficulties / frustrations could discourage a certain segment of Linux-ers from using Google Chrome on Linux. And, I am sure the justification from Linux developers is the non-free status. It has nothing to do with all those Google servers out there. Nothing at all, you can bet your shuttleworth. :lolflag:

jcwinnie
May 29th, 2011, 11:04 PM
I was inaccurate in the previous post when I indicated that I successfully use Google Chrome as my default browser on a persistent USB with those aforementioned Ubuntu varieties. I have yet to negotiate an extra hoop with Kubuntu.

After installation of my preferred browser, the default theme fails to acknowledge that I want to use this Internet browser from the menu. From limited search of the Internet, I understand that I must change the theme to one that allows the Google Chrome icon, long may it wave.

:guitar:

cariboo
May 29th, 2011, 11:09 PM
What does this thread have to do with testing Oneiric?

el_koraco
May 29th, 2011, 11:10 PM
You download it, double click the icon, it installs it and sets up a repository, so you can use any of the three channels. What's hard about that? Also, Chromium isn't an "outdated open source version of Chrome", sweet God.

Atermoon
May 30th, 2011, 12:29 AM
What is this thread all about?

buzzmandt
May 30th, 2011, 12:49 AM
ummm, I freen installed chrome from here http://www.google.com/chrome/eula.html?hl=en&installdataindex=make&brand=CHMA

click the download link, install through gdebi, done, nothing hard, it's as easy as on windows.

I must be missing something about this thread??!?

EDIT: Oh, and i'm running kubuntu, which means the default opens in kdebi, and still installs super easy.

cariboo
May 30th, 2011, 12:54 AM
Seeing as this thread doesn't seem to be Oneiric specific, moved to the Cafe.

julianb
May 30th, 2011, 08:37 AM
As far as I can tell, chromium isn't out of date at all.

I am running chromium 13.0.772.0 (chromium dev channel) right now, but in the past I have used the stable channel instead. The difference between chrome and chromium has never had any effect on me that I can see (well, except that I like the pretty colors in the chrome logo)

Oxwivi
May 30th, 2011, 09:29 AM
BTW: Kudos to Lubuntu for Chromium (an outdated, open source version of Chrome) as default browser. At least one can sync with open source Chromium or Iron.
No Iron (http://chromium.hybridsource.org/the-iron-scam) please.

grahammechanical
May 30th, 2011, 12:06 PM
It seems to me that the OP is upset that his choice of browser has not been made the default choice for everyone else. Either that or it is still the hunting season and Ubuntu/Canonical is still the prey.

Regards