PDA

View Full Version : Mark Zuckerberg will only eat animals he has killed

krapp
May 29th, 2011, 06:31 PM
http://news.google.com/news/more?pz=1&cf=all&ned=us&topic=t&ncl=d1xlHWFkTtE59nMHLS20DddUGnN0M

Talk about being out of touch.

(This isn't a political thread!)

LowSky
May 29th, 2011, 06:38 PM
MZ is a psychopath... he's the classic definition. He is out of touch with normal people around him. Has to fake emotion just so he can get people to like him and has no turned to killing animals to feed his desire to be in control. I'm betting he is just a few years away from becoming the world's richest serial killer. The again with his money he can afford a good cover up or two.

Ric_NYC
May 29th, 2011, 07:00 PM
He should also wash his used underwear.

silex89
May 29th, 2011, 07:02 PM
He should also wash his used underwear.

Haha lool, so true! :D

Dustin2128
May 29th, 2011, 07:50 PM
I read about this a few days ago. Simply put, I find this... disturbing.

Macskeeball
Fortune Magazine appears to be the main source for this story. http://postcards.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2011/05/26/mark-zuckerbergs-new-challenge-eating-only-what-he-kills/

I think he's just trying to close the disconnect that you get when buying meat at the store, etc. and he's also eating healthier as a result. It's unusual yes, but I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

Disclaimer: My cousin works for Facebook, but I have criticized the company in the past (mostly on privacy issues).

rg4w
MZ is a psychopath... he's the classic definition. He is out of touch with normal people around him. Has to fake emotion just so he can get people to like him and has no turned to killing animals to feed his desire to be in control.
Do you eat meat?

earthpigg
May 29th, 2011, 09:17 PM
I don't think this is unreasonable at all.

I eat meat, and don't hunt, but I do occasionally give pause for what is implied by the meat I eat. I don't say a prayer or anything like that, but it'll be on my mind while I nonetheless continue to eat. Is that taking it for granted that the very reason an animal was brought into existence and lived its entire life was for me to enjoy a single luxurious* meal? Perhaps.

I have a friend that doesn't eat land or air animals because they are similar enough to her that she feels guilty. Horrified whenever I go fishing, she nonetheless eats sea animals.

The closest I've come to what Zuckerberg plans to do is have purchase a calf and have it taken directly to the butcher and from there directly to a large freezer -- none of the storefront butcher shops or grocery stores in that country had refrigeration and there was no equivalent to the FDA, so it was that or get fly-covered meat that has been out for who knows how many hours or days. About once a month, me and my buddies generally the cow a name prior to delivery to the butcher.

I still eat meat, but I'm better off for having had the experience of making eye contact with something that was thereafter to be my food. I'm at least aware of what I am eating on more than an abstract theoretical level, just as I had an "aha!" moment one day when noticing the curvature of the earth over the ocean when I was a child.

*Yes, I consider it a luxury to be able to eat non-trivial amounts of meat more than once or twice a week. I suspect that anyone who has been to the third world would agree with me. Bottled water? I wont even get started on that.

Rasa1111
May 29th, 2011, 09:28 PM
I don't think this is unreasonable at all.

Likewise.
I know a good number of people who won't buy meat at stores, and only eat whatever meat they kill themselves. Most of them quite health conscious. That is one of the main reasons for it. Meat you buy in stores is loaded with bad shyte.
This is not strange at all...
those who find this "strange" are the ones who are truly "out of touch".

Newsflash~ Meat doesn't come from a store shelf/cooler.. It once was alive, had a face and someone killed it to get it to you. lol

Only meat I eat is fish..
and very rarely is it fish bought from a store. lol

'This year, my personal challenge is being thankful for the food I have to eat. I think many people forget that a living being has to die for you to eat meat, so my goal revolves around not letting myself forget that and being thankful for what I have.'

Sounds more sane than anything coming from the rest of the lunatics in society with their heads up their butts.

and I am not a zuckerberg fan, or a facebook fan. :P

wojox
May 29th, 2011, 09:38 PM
That's kind of Prehistoric. Does he bang two rocks together to produce the spark that creates the flame to cook them with?

earthpigg
May 29th, 2011, 09:49 PM
That's kind of Prehistoric. Does he bang two rocks together to produce the spark that creates the flame to cook them with?

It isn't prehistoric at all, it is contemporary for those not wealthy enough to abstract themselves from their source of sustenance.

Billions of people around the world alive today have killed at least one or some of the animals they eat. Clearly, 2011 is not in the prehistory era of human history.

I suspect Zuckerberg has never been fishing, or hunting, or seen an animal slaughtered - but has always been a meat eater. He is going to devote a year to just that, a year of eye contact with food, to makeup for the lack of hunting and lack of fishing in his childhood of meat consumption.

Thewhistlingwind
May 29th, 2011, 09:51 PM

Or course not.......

He uses flint and steel.:popcorn:

Lets get real here though, theres nothing wrong with this. The only reason anyone cares is because it's Mark Zuckerburg. Move along.

krapp
May 29th, 2011, 09:54 PM
It isn't prehistoric at all, it is contemporary for those not wealthy enough to abstract themselves from their source of sustenance.

And that's why it's ridiculous for Zuckerberg to be doing it.

unknownPoster
May 29th, 2011, 09:56 PM

I would also argue that it is also a luxury for those people with the means to engage in the sports of hunting and fishing.

Of all the food I've eaten, the best meals have come from when either myself or a family member killed the animal earlier in the day. Don't bash it until you've had the joy of tasting the freshest venison, turkey, fish, etc. humanly possible.

earthpigg
May 29th, 2011, 10:46 PM
I would also argue that it is also a luxury for those people with the means to engage in the sports of hunting and fishing.

It can be a luxury, but in those parts of the Western World that compare to the Third World in certain demographics, and for those individuals that are essentially not benefiting from industrialization... the practice of converting a feral dog or trapped raccoon into a meal from time to time is certainly not an indicator of luxury.

And that's why it's ridiculous for Zuckerberg to be doing it.

You find it ridiculous for a wealthy man to willingly give up some of the privileges and luxuries that wealth makes possible?

Being forced to make eye contact with the animal prior to killing and preparing it is a marker of extreme poverty, not wealth. Poverty forces some to do it, Zuckerberg is forcing himself.

earthpigg
May 29th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Here is how Zuckerberg's plan differs from the sport hunting that often characterizes the recreation of the wealthy:

The only animals going on his plate are the ones he killed, not the additional animals on his plate.

el_koraco
May 29th, 2011, 10:57 PM
Being forced to make eye contact with the animal prior to killing and preparing it is a marker of extreme poverty, not wealth.

Not really, people in the villages in Europe regularly keep livestock for slaughter, and personal use (on the dinner table). Partly due to tradition, partly due to the fact that the meat is better, although it is more expensive.

earthpigg
May 29th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Partly due to tradition, partly due to the fact that the meat is better, although it is more expensive.

Then you agree with me that it is a choice, not a requirement.

el_koraco
May 29th, 2011, 11:05 PM
Then you agree with me that it is a choice, not a requirement.

yeah, I just saw you mention that people are necessarily forced to kill animals. Zuckerberg's a wuss, he should either go veggie or not.

earthpigg
May 29th, 2011, 11:31 PM
Zuckerberg's a wuss, he should either go veggie or not.

Well, becoming a veggie or not a veggie is his personal choice.

What I am applauding him for is his willingness to force a personal understanding upon himself regarding just what meat is.

And who knows? The end result may just be that he becomes a veggie as a result of the experience.

Here's how I am taking this:

I may or may not continue to eat meat, but I'm not going to continue to lie to myself* about the source of that meat. I'm going to at least force confrontation upon myself.

*I don't know if he ever did lie to himself, but his letter to Fortune indicates that at least many in his circle of friends lie to themselves. Presumably, he is going to be forcing that ethical confrontation upon his friends too by his actions -- if you are going to be eating dinner at Zuckerberg's home, you are going to know that the man at the head of the table may have looked your dinner in the eye when it was an animal. That is something his dinner guests will have to reconcile.

Additionally, millions of facebook users now aware of this will have to do a bit of reconciliation as well.

krapp
May 30th, 2011, 12:15 AM
You find it ridiculous for a wealthy man to willingly give up some of the privileges and luxuries that wealth makes possible? Being forced to make eye contact with the animal prior to killing and preparing it is a marker of extreme poverty, not wealth. Poverty forces some to do it, Zuckerberg is forcing himself. No, he's not. He's choosing to do it, and it's profoundly inauthentic howsoever more 'natural' his consumption of meat will become. Maybe in rural regions of the world, killing your own meal is standard practice for the poor, but for Americans this is very uncommon, seeing how urbanized the country is. I assure you also that he's only picking the choicest animals for slaughter, grass-fed, free-range and all that nonsense. Not easily imitated by the average person to say the least! This would presuppose the luxury of time in order to do this in the first place.

unknownPoster
May 30th, 2011, 01:11 AM
I assure you also that he's only picking the choicest animals for slaughter, grass-fed, free-range and all that nonsense. Not easily imitated by the average person to say the least! This would presuppose the luxury of time in order to do this in the first place.

You have no proof so this is just FUD.

krapp
May 30th, 2011, 01:27 AM
You have no proof so this is just FUD.

How does a reasonable observation about a billionaire = FUD?

Dustin2128
May 30th, 2011, 01:30 AM
FUD has come to mean "anything that is contrary to what I think".

handy
May 30th, 2011, 01:32 AM
The effect of human over population, which brings about large scale monoculture type farming practices of both crop & livestock have had & are having on the health of the biosphere have been something playing on my mind for decades now.

I live where the vast majority of farmers treat their cattle very well until the day they go on the truck to the abattoir. The chicken & egg farms on the other hand are torture chambers for the life of the fowl.

Anyway some years ago now I saw the movie Earthlings (see my signature). I became a vegetarian on that day, eventually going vegan.

So as far as the guy only eating the animals that he kills himself is concerned. That in itself is a big improvement on what the vast majority do.

Many people think that meat comes from the supermarket, & milk comes in containers from the dairy section...

If you want an education on the multifaceted relationship between humanity & many of the other forms of life on earth, have a look at Earthlings. Most who see this documentary are never the same again.

tgalati4
I thought only Chuck Norris killed what he ate.

But then he only had to look at the cow and then look at the kindling.

Job done.

wojox
Zuckeberg has money. He could go to the store to buy his meat. He chooses to kill defenseless forest animals instead. People who enjoying killing creatures have deep psychological issues.

Thewhistlingwind
FUD has come to mean "anything that is contrary to what I think".

*Pfffffffffffffft* Thats just FUD, plain and simple. :popcorn:

EDIT: Did we all just post at once?

unknownPoster
May 30th, 2011, 01:40 AM

You have no proof of him only eating the choice animals. You're just out to smear his name.
As such, it is FUD.

krapp
May 30th, 2011, 01:45 AM
You have no proof of him only eating the choice animals. You're just out to smear his name.
As such, it is FUD.

FUD isn't the same as slander, so you're very confused. And if this is slander, so be it. Proof is overrated, especially regarding what is clearly a publicity stunt on MZ's part.

Anyway, considering one of the reasons he is doing this is out of concern for his health, he is likely going the organic route.

red_Marvin
May 30th, 2011, 02:11 AM
Zuckeberg has money. He could go to the store to buy his meat. He chooses to kill defenseless forest animals instead. People who enjoying killing creatures have deep psychological issues.

How is having somebody else killing the animal by your command any better?

handy
May 30th, 2011, 02:20 AM

Watch Earthlings:

Bandit
May 30th, 2011, 02:21 AM
http://news.google.com/news/more?pz=1&cf=all&ned=us&topic=t&ncl=d1xlHWFkTtE59nMHLS20DddUGnN0M

I dont understand why you think he may be "out of touch"?

If I had a farm, I would only eat ones I raised or had neighbors raise.
Which is the same as eating only what you kill.
That and I do hunt white tail deer, rabbit and squirrel. Plus I also am a avid Bass fishermen. All of which I catch, kill and eat.

Bandit
May 30th, 2011, 02:28 AM

MUHAHAHAA LMAO...

I'd pay good money for you to travel back 200 years ago and try to live.

krapp
May 30th, 2011, 02:28 AM
I dont understand why you think he may be "out of touch"?

If I had a farm, I would only eat ones I raised or had neighbors raise.
Which is the same as eating only what you kill.
That and I do hunt white tail deer, rabbit and squirrel. Plus I also am a avid Bass fishermen. All of which I catch, kill and eat.

I am not making any judgment upon what you eat or how you eat. What is out of touch about Mark Zuckerberg's newly found eating habits are their ethical framing.

Bandit
May 30th, 2011, 02:55 AM
I am not making any judgment upon what you eat or how you eat. What is out of touch about Mark Zuckerberg's newly found eating habits are their ethical framing.

True, I think its more of him just being more self aware and trying to eat better. Hypothetical scenario here, lets say he and I both go hunting, both kill a deer each. Then we both skin and clean each animal and process the meat at the same place and same time together. OK that stated, if he still has no issues eating my deer or his. I see nothing wrong. But if he refuses to eat my deer based on the above scenario because he may assume some misguided reason that doesn't really matter. He may have some real mental issues arising. For example he may find my deer inferior because he didn't kill it, then thats a real issue that a doctor needs to tend to. But if he feels safe that both animals are good quality and has no issue eating mine or his, then he is fine IMHO and just health conscious consumer.

wojox
May 30th, 2011, 03:52 AM
MUHAHAHAA LMAO...

I'd pay good money for you to travel back 200 years ago and try to live.

That's survival. We are living in the now. I don't ride a horse to work either. :p

wojox
May 30th, 2011, 03:55 AM

I've never commanded anyone to kill an animal.

Macskeeball
May 30th, 2011, 04:07 AM
I've never commanded anyone to kill an animal.

Assuming you're not a vegetarian, you've voted with your dollar. You've contributed to market demand, as have I.

Primefalcon
May 30th, 2011, 06:08 AM
Zuckerberg is either just being an idiot or an attention grabber....... maybe both

earthpigg
May 30th, 2011, 06:13 AM
If you want an education on the multifaceted relationship between humanity & many of the other forms of life on earth, have a look at Earthlings. Most who see this documentary are never the same again.

Well, I'm watching it. 8 minutes in.

I just heard the narrator say that

...such-and-such suffering cannot possibly compare to that of former Jews or slaves...

Wonder how that one made it into the screenplay without anyone noticing. :)

HappinessNow
May 30th, 2011, 06:33 AM

I don't know Butcher shops have become quite in vogue lately...here's an article about a Lesbian Butcher shop in LA:

http://www.curvemag.com/Curve-Magazine/Web-Articles-2011/Meet-Lindy-and-Grundy/ (http://goo.gl/WYVFv)

Sounds like a cool place: http://www.lindyandgrundy.com/ (http://goo.gl/CoOF8)

(This is NOT a political post!)

HappinessNow
May 30th, 2011, 06:43 AM
I don't know Butcher shops have become quite in vogue lately...here's an article about a Lesbian Butcher shop in LA:

http://www.curvemag.com/Curve-Magazine/Web-Articles-2011/Meet-Lindy-and-Grundy/ (http://goo.gl/WYVFv)

Actually what Mark is doing is what we all should be doing, it's called sustainability

I would love to have my own farm and be completely self sufficient, raise all my own vegetables, have chickens for fresh eggs.

I do have to admit, I would find it hard to eat the animals I raise...but families have been doing this for thousands of years.

What has become a perversion of sorts are people who are so detached from where their food comes from they blindly go into food stores and buy mostly pre-processed foods instead of local, sustainable foods.

I live in a small town and go to the farmers market often for vegetables and meats...it makes perfect sense.

HappinessNow
May 30th, 2011, 06:49 AM

This quote from one of the Butcher shop owners sums it up nicely:

What response have you received from the lesbian vegetarian community?
Posada: I’m so happy to have an articulate dialog with somebody about food politics as a conscious carnivore. I love to sit down and talk to people about their concerns as a vegetarian, as a vegan. As the conversation starts to become rude or accusatory it’s just not helpful for anybody…everybody needs to respect each other’s food politics…I’ve had vegetarians kind of scoff at what I do and then I look at their feet and they’re wearing leather shoes, or carrying a leather handbag. We all pick and choose our battles and my response is that choosing to not eat meat is a first world privilege. Once you acknowledge that, I think people really need to put themselves in check…because most people in the world don’t have that option.http://www.curvemag.com/Curve-Magazine/Web-Articles-2011/Meet-Lindy-and-Grundy/ (http://goo.gl/SvxzB)

also:

What’s the benefit of going to a butcher shop over a grocery store?
Posada: At Lindy & Grundy’s Meat, our stuff is 100 percent traceable. We’re totally transparent about what we do. We personally know all of our ranchers and we have personally visited all of our ranches many, many times. You’re not going to get that at Whole Foods. You’re not going to get that at any grocery store in the country that is corporate. It’s just impossible.http://www.curvemag.com/Curve-Magazine/Web-Articles-2011/Meet-Lindy-and-Grundy/ (http://goo.gl/SvxzB)

earthpigg
May 30th, 2011, 07:05 AM
We all pick and choose our battles and my response is that choosing to not eat meat is a first world privilege. Once you acknowledge that, I think people really need to put themselves in check…because most people in the world don’t have that option.

I love that quote, thank you for sharing.

krapp
May 30th, 2011, 07:05 AM
Actually what Mark is doing is what we all should be doing, it's called sustainability It's called having a big bank account. As for your lesbian butcher shop (nyuk nyuk),
We all pick and choose our battles and my response is that choosing to not eat meat is a first world privilege. Once you acknowledge that, I think people really need to put themselves in check…because most people in the world don’t have that option. I thought meat was expensive, and so eating it was the first world privilege, not not eating it?

earthpigg
May 30th, 2011, 07:08 AM
It's called having a big bank account. As for your lesbian butcher shop (nyuk nyuk), I thought meat was expensive, and so eating it was the first world privilege, not not eating it?

For people that live third world lives, such as many in Burundi, Detroit, Uganda, or New Orleans - it isn't a choice. You either kill and eat that stray dog for needed caloric intake, or your family goes hungry.

For those of us that are wealthy and live first world lives (anyone here that owns their own computer and has enough extra income that they can pay a monthly ISP bill, of course, is filthy rich.) we have the luxury of choice.

I wrote an essay of modest length (http://ctmason.wordpress.com/2011/05/29/mark-zuckerbergs-moral-courage/) on the subject this morning.

HappinessNow
May 30th, 2011, 07:13 AM
I love that quote, thank you for sharing.
You are very welcome, Thank you for understanding the truth of such a quote.

HappinessNow
May 30th, 2011, 07:15 AM
For people that live third world lives, such as many in Burundi, Detroit, Uganda, or New Orleans - it isn't a choice. You either kill and eat that stray dog for needed caloric intake, or your family goes hungry.

For those of us that are wealthy and live first world lives (anyone here that owns their own computer and has enough extra income that they can pay a monthly ISP bill, of course, is filthy rich.) we have the luxury of choice.

I wrote an essay of modest length (http://ctmason.wordpress.com/2011/05/29/mark-zuckerbergs-moral-courage/) on the subject this morning.I would love to eat a vegan diet but unfortunately can not afford such a luxury!

Bandit
May 30th, 2011, 07:17 AM
That's survival. We are living in the now. I don't ride a horse to work either. :p

Correct me if I am wrong, but are you a vegan? Because that's the only reason I think anyone would react to eating Bambi.

HappinessNow
May 30th, 2011, 07:27 AM
I would love to eat a vegan diet but unfortunately can not afford such a luxury!

The title of this thread is grossly distorted because what Mark said is that he is a vegetarian!

This year I’ve basically become a vegetarian since the only meat I’m eating is from animals I’ve killed myself. http://ctmason.wordpress.com/2011/05/29/mark-zuckerbergs-moral-courage/ (http://goo.gl/O6QzV)

Thus further proving the quote from the Lesbian butcher:

choosing to not eat meat is a first world privilege.
http://www.curvemag.com/Curve-Magazine/Web-Articles-2011/Meet-Lindy-and-Grundy/ (http://goo.gl/B7RMo)

HappinessNow
May 30th, 2011, 07:40 AM
There are many misconceptions about butchering, the closest I have come is butchering fish, it is a skill, best illustrated by Nakamura:

What are the misconceptions about butchering?
Nakamura: The number one thing that always blows my mind is that people think that I’m a slaughterer because I’m a butcher. They’re like, Oh my gosh, you kill things? And I’m like, Oh you guys, I wouldn’t think of killing a fly. That’s how we both are. [But] I think the biggest misconceptions really are that it’s really bloody and really kind of pretty grotesque and it’s actually not like that at all…there’s a really intricate craft involved.http://www.curvemag.com/Curve-Magazine/Web-Articles-2011/Meet-Lindy-and-Grundy/ (http://goo.gl/Mufz8)

krapp
May 30th, 2011, 08:38 AM
The title of this thread is grossly distorted because what Mark said is that he is a vegetarian!
http://ctmason.wordpress.com/2011/05/29/mark-zuckerbergs-moral-courage/ (http://goo.gl/O6QzV)
Why you would quote that approvingly is beyond me (unless you've been posting ironically all along, and at earthpig's expense, etc.), as it makes you and MZ appear to be unable to distinguish between not-eating-meat and not-eating-mass-produced-meat. Perhaps I should let MZ off the hook as he doesn't have a college degree . . .

For those of us that are wealthy and live first world lives (anyone here that owns their own computer and has enough extra income that they can pay a monthly ISP bill, of course, is filthy rich.) we have the luxury of choice. They eat stray dogs in Detroit and New Orleans, really?

Statistically, in the 20th-century, poorer countries haven't been eating enough stray dogs to catch up to the consumption of meat in rich countries, so they must be eating something else, something less expensive, something that grows in the ground or on trees, or not eat all.

In rich countries, we may have more choice, but what I have been trying to point out is that only the rich in those rich countries can maintain a nourishing diet without eating meat. Most people in these countries don't have the choice to be vegetarian. The mass production and mass distribution of meat in these countries has pushed the cost of meat way down. Just think about what's generally the cheapest meal in the US: McDonald's. What's the cheapest source of substantial protein at the supermarket? The cheapest meat products. What are the most expensive sources of protein at supermarkets and restaurants? Anything grown "sustainably."

el_koraco
May 30th, 2011, 09:48 AM
What I am applauding him for is his willingness to force a personal understanding upon himself regarding just what meat is.

And who knows? The end result may just be that he becomes a veggie as a result of the experience.

More likely he got the hots for some vegan chick, so he's changing his views. I've seen it happen many times, the power of pu-tang is all-consuming, especially among socially awkward guys.

earthpigg
May 30th, 2011, 11:00 AM
They eat stray dogs in Detroit and New Orleans, really?

If by "they" you mean "a few desperate folks trying to feed their families" then: Yes, yes "they" do -- those naughty filthy undesirables.

I do not understand what you are confused about - could you please clarify?

tapi0n
May 30th, 2011, 11:18 AM
More likely he got the hots for some vegan chick, so he's changing his views. I've seen it happen many times, the power of pu-tang is all-consuming, especially among socially awkward guys.

I'd never stop eating meat because of a woman!

Just think about what's generally the cheapest meal in the US: McDonald's.

Can't believe you consider McDonald's to be a meal? ^^

I don't get it though, when you get something from McDonald's back here you spend a fortune if you want to be full untill the next meal. What do you pay for let's say a normal menu? Normal menu over here is a burger, fries and a 25 cl cola.

el_koraco
May 30th, 2011, 11:24 AM
I'd never stop eating meat because of a woman!

You just haven't met the right one.

tapi0n
May 30th, 2011, 11:27 AM
You just haven't met the right one.

I have, she even cooks it for me!

Random_Dude
May 30th, 2011, 12:23 PM
I bet that if he tried to kill a chicken by himself, he would get is *** kicked.

Markg55
May 30th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Mice on the the Barbee?
Nah.........................vegan!
All right! It's zee Wango, zee Tango!

Docaltmed
May 30th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Sorry, can't sign up with you guys on all the MZ hate.

Nor do I think his statement is abnormal. I'm a middle-class American, a doctor, I fish and I hunt. My family eats the food I bring home, and when we buy meat, we buy it from a local farmer.

This is called "eating healthy."

Vegetarianism is another way of eating healthy. Doesn't work for all, but great for many.

Eating only meat you have harvested or going without seems to me to be a very reasonable position, and one that is both ethical and moral.

God forbid MZ had a garden and harvested his food from that.

tapi0n
May 30th, 2011, 01:23 PM
I'm a middle-class American, a doctor, I fish and I hunt. My family eats the food I bring home

I hope those aren't related?

krapp
May 30th, 2011, 03:31 PM
If by "they" you mean "a few desperate folks trying to feed their families" then: Yes, yes "they" do -- those naughty filthy undesirables.

I do not understand what you are confused about - could you please clarify?

(You can drop the populism. You're preaching to the choir.) Was this covered by the press? May I see a few links?

Can't believe you consider McDonald's to be a meal? ^^

I don't get it though, when you get something from McDonald's back here you spend a fortune if you want to be full untill the next meal. What do you pay for let's say a normal menu? Normal menu over here is a burger, fries and a 25 cl cola.

You can get a small burger/sandwich for .99 US. I used McDonald's as a placeholder for any number of fast food restaurants.

I don't frequent McDonald's by the way.

Docaltmed
May 30th, 2011, 07:05 PM
I hope those aren't related?

LOL!:) Thank you for the guffaw!

zzzz401
May 30th, 2011, 07:10 PM
I thought he was a computer programmer not a hunter!!! :confused:

Bandit
May 30th, 2011, 08:33 PM
I bet that if he tried to kill a chicken by himself, he would get is *** kicked.
Very easy to kill a chicken. Just grab its neck and spin the the bird in the air a few times and a quick jerk and the head and neck will snap off the bird. Let it flop around the yard for a moment and then you can clean it. :-D

earthpigg
May 30th, 2011, 08:42 PM
I'm a middle-class American, a doctor,

ha

akand074
May 30th, 2011, 09:19 PM
Only eats animals he's killed? That is so manly! Unless it has some sort of messed up ideology about animal rights, in that case that's pathetic. I'll never understand vegans. I'm a carnivore.

earthpigg
May 30th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Only eats animals he's killed? That is so manly! Unless it has some sort of messed up ideology about animal rights, in that case that's pathetic. I'll never understand vegans. I'm a carnivore.

He outlines his reasons here (http://postcards.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2011/05/26/mark-zuckerbergs-new-challenge-eating-only-what-he-kills/).

Actually, I may as well post that e-mail he sent in this thread (emphasis mine):

To start, let me give you some background on what I'm doing. Every year in recent memory, I've taken on a personal challenge -- something to learn about the world, expand my interests and teach myself greater discipline. I spend almost all of my time building Facebook, so these personal challenges are all things I wouldn't normally have the chance to do if I didn't take the time.

Last year, for example, my personal challenge was to learn Chinese. I blocked out an hour every day to study and it has been an amazing experience so far. I've always found learning new languages challenging, so I wanted to jump in and try to learn a hard one. It has been a very humbling experience. With language, there's no way to just "figure it out" like you can with other problems -- you just need to practice and practice. The experience of learning Mandarin has also led me to travel to China, learn about its culture and history, and meet a lot of new interesting people.

This year, my personal challenge is around being thankful for the food I have to eat. I think many people forget that a living being has to die for you to eat meat, so my goal revolves around not letting myself forget that and being thankful for what I have. This year I've basically become a vegetarian since the only meat I'm eating is from animals I've killed myself. So far, this has been a good experience. I'm eating a lot healthier foods and I've learned a lot about sustainable farming and raising of animals.

I started thinking about this last year when I had a pig roast at my house. A bunch of people told me that even though they loved eating pork, they really didn't want to think about the fact that the pig used to be alive. That just seemed irresponsible to me. I don't have an issue with anything people choose to eat, but I do think they should take responsibility and be thankful for what they eat rather than trying to ignore where it came from.

It is probably important, when trying to understand his decision, to picture how that conversation must have gone with Zuckerberg and his friends. If someone cannot even think about the thought of a cute piglet being slaughtered without being absolutely appalled and offended, it is appropriate for that person to then eat pork?

Random_Dude
May 30th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Very easy to kill a chicken. Just grab its neck and spin the the bird in the air a few times and a quick jerk and the head and neck will snap off the bird. Let it flop around the yard for a moment and then you can clean it. :-D

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.walletpop.com/media/2009/05/chicken.jpg

Vs.

http://faz-community.faz.net/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Blogs.Components.WeblogFiles/netzkonom.Netz_F600_konom+2008/zuckerberg4.jpg

Sorry, I'm still putting my money on the chicken.

Npl
May 30th, 2011, 09:47 PM
raising and killing animals is sure alot more humane than the abuse what happens in meat factories that brings you the convenient packages you get in the supermarket. Im not sure if I should link to them, but there enough clips on the net, or get hold of "Food, Inc" if you like (covers more than just meat)

Dry Lips
May 30th, 2011, 10:30 PM
Sorry, can't sign up with you guys on all the MZ hate.

Nor do I think his statement is abnormal. I'm a middle-class American, a doctor, I fish and I hunt. My family eats the food I bring home, and when we buy meat, we buy it from a local farmer.

This is called "eating healthy."

Vegetarianism is another way of eating healthy. Doesn't work for all, but great for many.

Eating only meat you have harvested or going without seems to me to be a very reasonable position, and one that is both ethical and moral.

A huge +1!!!

I've killed an animal once. I came by a seagull with a broken wing. I didn't eat it afterwards though. ;)

The availability and ubiquity of meat coupled with our general lack of experience with killing animals, has resulted in a great loss in our society. Basically I agree with the idea that we have detached ourselves from the insight that the meat on our tables comes from living animals that has to be killed in order to become food.

Now, I live in a rural area. I know a lot of farmers, and one of my neighbours says that sending off their sheep to the slaughter gets worse every year. I know other farmers who refuse to eat their own animals. Believe it or not, even sheep have personalities.

I would definitively not judge Mark Zuckenbergs position, but IMO the best solution is to abstain from meat. A lifestyle without meat does even have a number of real health benefits.

Gremlinzzz
May 31st, 2011, 12:55 AM
So its like a vegetarian growing his own vegetables.
except he is carnivorous a carnivore with sharp pointed teeth.:)

Bandit
May 31st, 2011, 12:56 AM
++

Those poor poor plants! We should not eat them either!! :-s

handy
May 31st, 2011, 04:01 AM
A lot of you guys really like to bitch & pick on whomever is the target. :confused:

Such behaviour usually indicates a low self esteem.

krapp
May 31st, 2011, 04:41 AM
A lot of you guys really like to bitch & pick on whomever is the target. :confused:

MZ is a big target.

How so?

Gremlinzzz
May 31st, 2011, 05:27 AM
Now if we can get the carnivore,s too eat insect,s like tic,s and mosquitoes:D

BrandonC19
May 31st, 2011, 05:34 AM
Oh no, he's going to eat MySpace and Bebo! Sorry I had to.

earthpigg
May 31st, 2011, 05:39 AM
A lot of you guys really like to b__ch & pick on whomever is the target. :confused:

pretty sure there is a solid core of us defending him on this, including myself who is not a big facebook fan and a very hesitant/skeptical user.

andrew.46
July 17th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Anyway some years ago now I saw the movie Earthlings (see my signature). I became a vegetarian on that day, eventually going vegan.

Good to see a fellow vegan :). I saw that movie after I became a vegan but I truly believe that everybody should see it, it changes a lot of lives.

Bandit
July 17th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Good to see a fellow vegan :). I saw that movie after I became a vegan but I truly believe that everybody should see it, it changes a lot of lives.

I watched it recently. I eat meat, but I also believe in balance. That video while truthful in many ways does show the extreme bad side of food production. For example the milking cows here, at least the facilities/farms I have been to are not chained up like that at all. They a field fed and are cycled in once or twice a day and a person runs up and sticks the tubes up to suck off some milk and after about 12 to 20 mins or so they are undone and released to go back into a field area where they can move around and eat. Now the meat plants here are not as bad as shown in those videos, but its still a ruff process.
The part about the chickens is sad but true. When ever possible I try to get my eggs from my Mom or Dad that they raise since they are the equivalent to Organic eggs as you can come.

I really hate the miss treatment to animals and it pains me to see anyone or anything suffer. Now I believe Fish, Chicken, Lamb, Deer, and Cows are food for us, but that doesn't constitute mistreatment. I do not eat young animals, its just not right in my book.

danbuter
July 17th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Considering how many drugs the average beef cow is given, eating hunted meat is probably much safer.