PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Printing PDF Files

chrisj802
May 29th, 2011, 04:39 PM
I am having problems in printing 'complex' PDF files. Simple pages are no problem. Good examples is Royal Mail postage printing. Generated PDF displays correctly - and in Ubuntu 10.10 printed perfectly. Since I upgraded to 11.04 I get a blank page. No matter what I do.
I have tried everything suggested when I googled the problem - but no solution works.
I am printing across the network through my NAS box (no changes to that at all) to an HP Laserjet 1010.
It all works correctly and as expected under Windows - so the setup is fine with printer and NAS. its a problem introduced by 11.04.

Idaho Dan
May 29th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Hi chrisj802,
I know when I installed the Adobe reader I had better printing luck with pdf's. Couldn't hurt to try it.

fjf
May 29th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Same here in Kubuntu 11.04. Not all, but some PDFs refuse to be printed with acroread. I have to use the kubuntu PDF viewer (okular) to print them. Oh well....

chrisj802
May 29th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Okular does indeed print the problem PDF files. It also reveals that the problem files are forms. (It is not very obvious that they are forms - the files are Royal Mail labels produced using their website - and the PDF consists of the address label with an overlay that normally gets removed when you print). And it did - in Ubuntu 10.10 using Acroread - but not in 11.04. 11.04 just prints a blank sheet using Evince or Acroread. Okular works OK - needed a bit of tweaking but solves problem.
So we have a work round - but not a solution.
Acroread works just find in Windows......