PDA

View Full Version : Very tempted to dual boot again!

hoppipolla
May 29th, 2011, 07:25 AM
It's weird really!

Even though I have been enjoying the simplicity of Windows 7 (and also XP on my older machine) and how I can just get them working mega fast, etc, I do miss linux!

I miss the choice of desktops, the security, flexibility, power of the desktop.. and how non-restrictive and interesting the whole thing is!

And man some of the new releases look GORGEOUS don't they? ^_^

The new Ubuntu releases look super cool.. I mean they're a little rough around the edges but the basic look is just drool-worthy! I hope it goes up from here!

KDE 4 is also looking amazing, and LXDE is coming along really well as well. Newer distros like Chakra caught my eye as well as they seem to all offer great spins on the main desktop environments.

I mean, it's not all peachy, like Ubuntu on my friend's DESKTOP pc failed to connect to the net using a WIRED connection lol (as did OpenSUSE), even though Windows connected totally fine! Obviously stuff like that is kinda crazy, as I always thought wired connections are gonna be solid no matter what. And yeah it doesn't even attempt to use my wireless dongle I got on eBay, but that's more understandable as I do fully understand how tricky it must be trying to organize unofficial drivers for everything! Must be a nightmare...

But yeah so erm, the interface and overall approach of Ubuntu 11.04 gets a clean 10/10 from me, but I really hope they polish it up more and it matures a bit. Beautiful though, I must admit!

Sadly the only machine I'll really have for a bit is this old laptop I've had like for EVER, so I'll probably be dual booting something like Lubuntu with Windows XP or Tiny Windows 7, but that's the beauty of Linux - you can STILL have a gorgeous and totally up to date desktop even with frickin' ancient hardware! hehe

Ok erm, that's about it! I'm gonna try my Ubuntu 11.04 bootable pendrive on this laptop and see just HOW much it struggles! xD

Peace out!

Hoppipolla! ^_^

EDIT -- And wow what a nice video I just found! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3rM4vT7Vgs

Timmer1240
May 29th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Go for it Im tempted to throw Xp back on mine I got some games I kinda miss one thing about Xp it makes a good gaming OS gotta give it a little credit!

Zero2Nine
May 29th, 2011, 02:32 PM
I know the feeling. Ubuntu has magic powers that make you look back every now and then, even if you completely switched to Windows, and finally install again :p

Tibuda
May 29th, 2011, 03:33 PM
do thy will. Do that, and no other shall say nay.

lightstream
May 29th, 2011, 03:47 PM
If you like messing around with your computer, use Linux. If you prefer someone else to take control of your computer so that it looks nice and shiney, install Windows but do BUY IT.

weasel fierce
May 29th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Go for it Im tempted to throw Xp back on mine I got some games I kinda miss one thing about Xp it makes a good gaming OS gotta give it a little credit!

It makes a good gaming OS or it has games published for it?

rg4w
May 29th, 2011, 03:56 PM
I know the feeling. Ubuntu has magic powers that make you look back every now and then, even if you completely switched to Windows, and finally install again :p
Indeed.

I'm one of the lucky ones: I rarely play games and when I do it's often the low-CPU strategy games like LinCity, so I've been able to go the other way: I started out trying a dual-boot adding Ubuntu to my Win box, and eventually found myself using Win so seldom that I reinstalled with only Ubuntu, keeping Win in a VM for the rare occasions when I need to test my apps with it.

So what is it with VirtualBox? It saves and restores states so much more quickly than Parallels and VMWare that I'm surprised either can stay in business. How does VirtualBox do it? Magic?