PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu 10.04 Install for Online Banking

webusr1
May 29th, 2011, 05:31 AM
Do you guys have any advice for configuring Ubuntu 10.04 for online banking? For example, after the basic 10.04 install, why would I need Java. Flash, Transmission BitTorrent Client, Empathy IM Client, or Rhythmbox Music Player??? Well, unless my bank actually forces me to install a Java client or flash... I don';t like the idea of the banking forcing any special plugins...

These applications are not needed. So, I guess what I'm looking for is "The Ubuntu Perfect Desktop for Banking". I understand that passwords should never be saved, and security is mostly based on user behavior.

I plan to use one PC for Banking and nothing else. I won't have a printer connected so CUPS would NOT be needed.

Do you guys have any other tips or recommendations for creating this banking config? I've heard of AppAmor and SELinux, but don't know how hard it would be to configure or use with online banking.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

mikewhatever
May 29th, 2011, 09:22 AM
I looks like what you need is to start with the base command line installation, and then add only what you need.
Here is a good howto you can follow:
http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/minimal

webusr1
May 29th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Very nice link! My main reason for the change is that my Ubuntu 8.04 Banking PC security support from Canonical will no longer be provided after this month May-2011. Now, I can re-install my PC with a later version of Ubuntu using minimal install and ensure I get the latest security patches. Here's the listing of the 32 bit CD's for other folks to see.

I'm interested in LTS 10.04 of the 32-bit PC (x86) CD, but the latest Ubuntu distro is available too:

Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" Minimal CD 19MB
Ubuntu 10.10 "Maverick Meerkat" Minimal CD 12.7MB
Ubuntu 10.04 "Lucid Lynx" Minimal CD 12.5MB

Thanks for your help. Previously I had to manually remove applications using Synaptic Pkg MGR on Ubuntu 8.04, but using the Minimal Install will save me a ton of time. :-D

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD