PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] software update breaks connections on 3G modem

jremington
May 28th, 2011, 05:47 PM
My only semi-reasonable internet access is via the Verizon 3G network in a fringe reception area, so it is slow (typically 50-100 kBPS). I'm using the Kyocera KR1 wireless router to distribute internet access throughout the home. I run Ubuntu 10.04 on a Pentium 4 2.4 GHz machine.

My problem: file downloads through the standard "software update" causes the Kyocera modem to break the 3G connection after only 1-5 Mb are downloaded.

To speed up the reset/reconnect process, I have to reboot the modem by cycling the power. This happens 5-10 times every time I upgrade the system software, which is extremely annoying!

No other data transfer on any system on the home network (windows or linux), for hours at a time, causes the modem to break the connection. I can't seem to access any sort of error logging on the modem, but I am fairly certain that something in the software update data transfer protocol is introducing errors that cause the modem to break the connection.

Are there any alternatives to Unbuntu software update that might use a different data transfer protocol?

Thanks for any insight or suggestions!

Jim Remington