PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu: Live CD & Install CD

GreenDance
May 28th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Hi, I'd like to see the Ubuntu Team make two releases of future distros, not just one, a Live CD (that's the one released now) but also an Install CD (not a Live CD), so that the user has the choice of what programs should be installed, this would enable people to make more choices, this is only a suggestion and my opinion, it's just another way to allow people to make their own decisions, it would help a fair few people as well like system administrators, who install on many computers.

I think Windows 95 use to do it,

Something like this I think would be fantastic on the Ubuntu "Install CD"

Full Install (like the "Live CD")
Minimal Install (gnome + firefox)
Custom Install (user chooses what to install)

Thank You.

el_koraco
May 28th, 2011, 04:39 PM
They already have that. The main CD, the alternate, and the minimal.

snowpine
May 28th, 2011, 04:45 PM
This exists already :)

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD

aysiu
May 28th, 2011, 06:50 PM
After you install the minimal CD, run the commands
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xorg xterm gdm icewm menu gksu synaptic --no-install-recommends
sudo service gdm start Then run
gksu synaptic and install whatever you want.

.psd
May 28th, 2011, 11:01 PM
Hey aysiu! I'm at the command line right now from a fresh minimal install, this is what I see:

Ubuntu 11.04 mrt tty1
mrt login: _

If I type the commands you listed, will that be pretty much the essentials, and still minimal? And then if I get gnome through synaptec, will ubuntu cause it to download the bloated ubuntu-desktop version or will it be regular up-to-date gnome? Because bhodi.zazen, another forum admin, was trying to explain how to get gnome without the -dekstop because that pulled in ubuntu bloat or something.

DougieFresh4U
May 29th, 2011, 05:35 AM
When I first saw this thread, it reminded me of the very first (Breezy) Ubuntu cd's I received in the mail. It was a 2 cd set. One was for live cd and the other was an install cd :)

aysiu
May 29th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Hey aysiu! I'm at the command line right now from a fresh minimal install, this is what I see:

Ubuntu 11.04 mrt tty1
mrt login: _

If I type the commands you listed, will that be pretty much the essentials, and still minimal? And then if I get gnome through synaptec, will ubuntu cause it to download the bloated ubuntu-desktop version or will it be regular up-to-date gnome? Because bhodi.zazen, another forum admin, was trying to explain how to get gnome without the -dekstop because that pulled in ubuntu bloat or something.
Yes, the command I gave you gives you the very bare essentials to have a graphical interface and an easy graphical way to install more packages.

If you want the bare essentials of Gnome, install gnome-core instead of ubuntu-desktop.