PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Repartition hard drive with out killing either ubuntu or windows 7?

TheVegen
May 28th, 2011, 04:36 AM
I recently did a duel boot system with 30 gigs for Windows 7 and 30 gigs for Ubuntu and about 500 gigis of shared drive space.
I moved over the windows user folder to the shared partition but left the program files on the main one. I quickly found out after installing MS office that I need to make that partition 40 gigs but when I used windows to take from the spare partition and move to windows ubuntu died. Now this was the second time I tried repartitioning with bad results. The first time I tried to install ubuntu rather than formatting and starting from scratch I had used ubuntu to shrink my windows partition the first time and that killed windows.

Needless to say I think I should just avoid repartitioning but that is easier said than done with a duel boot system.

So my question is if I have to resize a partition again how can I do it without destroying windows and or ubuntu?

Thanks

Hedgehog1
May 28th, 2011, 05:05 AM
If you always use Windows tools to resize Windows Partitions, and Linux tools to resize Linux partitions, you will have a better success rate.

Gparted can resize windows partitions in a pinch (please defrag the windows partition 3 times before you use gparted to do that).

If you have a specific resizing need, you can always post your plan of attack here and we will help guide you next time.

The Hedge

:KS

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/8240/deathparionshishdd.png

TheVegen
May 29th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the help. I ended up making shortcut links instead.