PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble with Nvidia driver

jtyler05si
May 28th, 2011, 04:01 AM
I have been a windows person since forever. A few months ago I installed Ubuntu as a second OS on my laptop:
Toshiba Satellite m645-s4080.

It found most of the drivers right off the bat. I really like the feel of the OS and was very excited to learn the ins-and-outs and the language. My biggest issue was that my video driver was not working.

My laptop has an integrated graphics card as well as an Nvidia GTX 330m. It uses the integrated one just fine, but the Nvidia driver offered caused a crash upon reboot. From there I had to reboot in failsafe and uninstall the driver. I have tried quite a few different things to fix it and was excited about it as a challenge. The only thing I didn't try is install Nouveau drivers as that seems to complicated for a newbie like me.

I am currently typing this on Windows7 OS, as I feel defeated. I would love to get Ubuntu going but I am at a loss with the main issue I'm having. I considered ignoring it and just using decent graphics offered by the integrated card. My other issues is that some of the touch buttons on my laptop for media, etc. aren't working (but some are). Also they are not lit up like they are suppose to upon touching. Also my keyboard back-light doesn't work (can be activated by touch button that doesn't work or function-z which also doesn't work).

I spent so much time on this and haven't been back on Ubuntu in weeks. I wish I had the knowledge base to make Ubuntu work, but I don't.

If anyone has a for-sure fix for the video card problem that would give me some hope and I could move on to fixing the other parts as well.

Tamlynmac
May 28th, 2011, 04:30 AM
jtyler05si

Since the T&E isn't a support (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1343965) section of the forums. You should probably post this in the help sections or simply ask the staff to move the thread for you (just use the report button).

Good Luck

DrSeemann
May 28th, 2011, 04:39 AM
I don't have the solution. Just a testimonial and experience. I've invested a lot of hours of my freetime to get my video driver working. NO RESULT. It's not user's or community fault, the dang manufacturer doesn't provide drivers for linux and its old hardware.
IMHO, its a matter of philosophy.
I like using the computer as entertaining & learning system. So I use Windows only for playing games, but on the other hand for "multimedia" purposes I find Ubuntu superior in all aspects. For watching youtube videos, listening music, teaching my nephew draw, making music and a long list of etceteras Linux is simply better.
But i still check from time to time if there's any solution for my driver's problem.
Well, anyway you are using it as secondary OS, i hope that you can see the positive aspects of using Linux.
Sometimes I fell like i'm part of something bigger than myself.

I hope that my comment helped you. Good Luck :)

Toz
May 28th, 2011, 04:57 AM
Have a look at: http://www.martin-juhl.dk/.
According to the information there, an optimus video setup on a Toshiba Satellite M645-SP4132L was successful. Code and documentation is available. Perhaps it will also work on your model.

jtyler05si
May 28th, 2011, 05:46 AM
Since the T&E isn't a support (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1343965) section of the forums. You should probably post this in the help sections or simply ask the staff to move the thread for you (just use the report button).

Good Luck
Sorry I did not mean to make the main topic of this post as a help please thread. I meant to show how much work I have put into it as a reason of why I have lost interest. I don't really want a thousand possible answers; I just put that there in case someone else has my exact situation and has the golden ticket.

I don't have the solution. Just a testimonial and experience. I've invested a lot of hours of my freetime to get my video driver working. NO RESULT. It's not user's or community fault, the dang manufacturer doesn't provide drivers for linux and its old hardware.
IMHO, its a matter of philosophy.
I like using the computer as entertaining & learning system. So I use Windows only for playing games, but on the other hand for "multimedia" purposes I find Ubuntu superior in all aspects. For watching youtube videos, listening music, teaching my nephew draw, making music and a long list of etceteras Linux is simply better.
But i still check from time to time if there's any solution for my driver's problem.
Well, anyway you are using it as secondary OS, i hope that you can see the positive aspects of using Linux.
Sometimes I fell like i'm part of something bigger than myself.

I hope that my comment helped you. Good Luck :)
I completely understand and agree. I was doing the same for a while, but it is an itch that I am not allowed to use some things on my computer just because. I will try again to ignore the issue and try to continue exploration I think. Thanks for the input.

Have a look at: http://www.martin-juhl.dk/.
According to the information there, an optimus video setup on a Toshiba Satellite M645-SP4132L was successful. Code and documentation is available. Perhaps it will also work on your model.

I might look into that as my last option haha. Thanks for the advice.

mastablasta
May 30th, 2011, 07:53 AM
I don't really want a thousand possible answers; I just put that there in case someone else has my exact situation and has the golden ticket.

this is exactly why the thread should be in help section. plenty people that coudl help are not bothered by testimonial section.

anyway computer you have seems to have been designed for running windows. i bet they even added some drivers for the extra keys and motherboard in general.

too bad it all doesn't work in Linux. It's the fault of manufacturer as they only provided drivers for Windows.

if you use a more standard setup (for example keboard with no special keys) it all works out of box. or if manufacturer provides Linux drivers (Dell and HP on some computers, also System76 etc.) then it all works like it should.

aysiu
May 30th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Okay, if this is really going to be a support thread, Losing interest... isn't an appropriate thread title. I've retitled the thread and moved it back to the support area.