PDA

View Full Version : Quantum computers now commercially available! (Yes, really)

PhillyPhil
May 28th, 2011, 02:29 AM
D-wave is selling a 128 qbit quantum computer (Lockheed Martin just bought one).

Good news for all of us with empty 10 sqm shielded rooms in our houses, and a lot of pennies in our piggy banks!

http://www.dwavesys.com/en/products-services.html
http://nextbigfuture.com/2011/05/d-wave-systems-sells-its-first-quantum.html

What changes will these make to our lives?

3Miro
May 28th, 2011, 03:19 AM
There appears to be some ambiguity of the term "quantum computer". What is more important is:

1. Is it currently faster than the existing silicon chips.
2. At least on theory, can it surpass the current theoretical limit for the silicon processors.

angryfirelord
May 28th, 2011, 03:32 AM
I don't think we fully understand Quantum Mechanics, let alone actually apply such concepts to building an actual computer that can take advantage of superposition states. It sounds more like somebody's trying to sell a marketing gimmick than actually produce a breakthrough in science.

yetiman64
May 28th, 2011, 03:47 AM
I'd be interested to know if it is technically a "true" quantum computer that can compute in a state above that of binary (two state maximum). I have heard of research regarding Gallium (?) impregnated silicon that was theoretically supposed to have 15 states possible. Never heard of success or otherwise though.

Is this just another supercomputer being wrongly labeled a quantum computer? Specifications ?

The idea of quantum computing in more that the current 2 states would obsolete all current encryption etc if developed. I can't see that sort of technology ever released to the general public. ;)

I just noted the reply,

I don't think we fully understand Quantum Mechanics, let alone actually apply such concepts to building an actual computer that can take advantage of superposition states. It sounds more like somebody's trying to sell a marketing gimmick than actually produce a breakthrough in science. +1

Bart_D
May 28th, 2011, 04:11 AM
D-wave is selling a 128 qbit quantum computer.....

Specs?:(:confused::mad:

DrSeemann
May 28th, 2011, 04:22 AM
Windows runs slow on it. :B

3Miro
May 28th, 2011, 04:25 AM
I'd be interested to know if it is technically a "true" quantum computer that can compute in a state above that of binary (two state maximum). I have heard of research regarding Gallium (?) impregnated silicon that was theoretically supposed to have 15 states possible. Never heard of success or otherwise though.

There was a long discussion some time ago about binary vs ternary and so on. Mathematically the type of machine (binary, ternary, so on) that you have is irrelevant. From the point of view of the hardware, it really depends on the type of hardware. We can currently make analog computers (i.e. infinitely many states), but those are simply not as fast as the binary-silicon ones. Binary vs ternary vs decimal vs infinite is irrelevant.

The quantum states is something different. It refers to two independent pieces of information stored at the same physical location.

3Miro
May 28th, 2011, 04:26 AM
I don't think we fully understand Quantum Mechanics, let alone actually apply such concepts to building an actual computer that can take advantage of superposition states. It sounds more like somebody's trying to sell a marketing gimmick than actually produce a breakthrough in science.

You don't have to fully understand quantum mechanics to make a quantum computer, you just need to know enough. Our current silicon chips work due to some quantum principles. We already have quantum devices, just not a quantum computer.

yetiman64
May 28th, 2011, 05:26 AM
There was a long discussion some time ago about binary vs ternary and so on. Mathematically the type of machine (binary, ternary, so on) that you have is irrelevant. From the point of view of the hardware, it really depends on the type of hardware. We can currently make analog computers (i.e. infinitely many states), but those are simply not as fast as the binary-silicon ones. Binary vs ternary vs decimal vs infinite is irrelevant.

The quantum states is something different. It refers to two independent pieces of information stored at the same physical location.

Aha, that explanation makes more sense to me now, as to what is being discussed. Thank you.

Bandit
May 28th, 2011, 06:35 AM

Is this just another supercomputer being wrongly labeled a quantum computer? Specifications ?

The idea of quantum computing in more that the current 2 states would obsolete all current encryption etc if developed. I can't see that sort of technology ever released to the general public. ;)

I just noted the reply,
+1

+++

Thewhistlingwind
May 28th, 2011, 06:58 AM

While I'm not sure if this is or isn't a true quantum computer. Alan Turings work was originally in breaking encryptions, your typing this from an electronic computer now, right?

yetiman64
May 28th, 2011, 07:56 AM
While I'm not sure if this is or isn't a true quantum computer. Alan Turings work was originally in breaking encryptions, your typing this from an electronic computer now, right? Of course I am. And I am fully aware of that (Alan Turing and encryption work etc), my comments were that quantum computing (regarding computing at a higher base and at current or higher speeds) would make all such current encryption obsolete.

I was under the impression initially that quantum computing mentioned was about operating each switch on a processor with the capability of up to 16 states/outputs (I gathered that idea from reading a computer magazine article a while ago) compared to the current 2 states of current chip technology. The article proposed such tech if it existed could break a strong encryption algorithm and password taking decades to brute force currently in a matter of an incredibly short time period compared.

I'm not sure now after reading 3miro's post as to what exactly constitutes a quantum computer in this case.
Whether it refers to current technology vs other developments in processor materials OR
It refers to two independent pieces of information stored at the same physical location.Some specs or explanation of the system in use and further definition of quantum computing wouldn't go astray from this point on :), otherwise we are all just whistling into a strong headwind :P.

I for one would love to know the specs / description of such a machine.

gopherofdoom
May 28th, 2011, 08:29 AM
I know a postdoc who's working on quantum computing at Oxford, and I was under the impression that they're currently struggling to make even a 4-qubit computer work, and even then not in any way efficiently or practically...

Dustin2128
May 28th, 2011, 01:59 PM
But how can you know for sure? ;)

Paqman
May 28th, 2011, 02:12 PM

There's a lot we don't understand about things at the atomic and subatomic scale, that hasn't stopped us building electronics. If you study electrical theory you quickly come to realise that a lot of our models we use to build practical machines are abstractions, and don't fully describe the underlying reality. Yet they work.

As 3Miro correctly says, you only need to know enough to make it work.

sffvba[e0rt
May 28th, 2011, 05:54 PM
But can it play Crysis?