PDA

View Full Version : Ripping DVD Collection

moore.bryan
May 27th, 2011, 12:22 PM
I've finally broken-down and decided to rip my entire DVD collection for digital backup; however, the only computer I have with a DVD drive is my ancient iMac G4 "Flowerpot" running Debian and Openbox. I've tried simply recording the DVD in VLC without any luck (the video never shows, the screen remains blank, and although I get a resulting .mpg file, there is only sound), K3B won't even do anything, and both dvd::rip and acidrip take forever. For example, I put in Cinderella Man yesterday afternoon and by this morning acidrip was only on the second pass and at 13% completion.

In short, I'm looking for suggestions on which avenue to take. All I'm looking to do is simply, quickly, and easily rip my collection; why is this so difficult?

I understand my machine is--according to Moore's Law (no relation)--a dinosaur with a maximum speed of 4x, but shouldn't this be a bit simpler?

Thanks, in-advance, for everyone's help!

Grenage
May 27th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Can you not simply copy the DVD to an ISO image file? Most media centres and apps (such as VLC) can play ISOs, plus you have the added benefit of total preservation.

Of course, if space is a factor then this won't be the way to go. Video encoding itself is very CPU-dependant, so it's a pain on old machines; we just ISO'd my wife's collection.

ghostborg
May 27th, 2011, 01:29 PM
When converting a DVD to a Digital copy it would be best to copy the DVD to your hardrive first then use Handbrake to convert them to say mkv or mp4.
K3B can copy many discs to your hard drive but some have better protection than others. Use the Copy Medium feature.
I mostly use DVDFab in Wine to copy discs.
You can also use K9copy to copy them to your hard drive.

It is best to copy the Disc or title you want to the hard drive first because if something goes wrong you don't have to do the ripping process over. Scratches etc.

This is the Free part of the program that simply rips the disc to a folder on your hard drive.
http://www.dvdfab.com/hd-decrypter.htm

Handbrake: Add PPA and signing key
http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

sectshun8
May 27th, 2011, 02:03 PM
To rip and maintain a decent quality while conserving space I often use DVD Decrypter to rip movie, then use AutoGordian Knot to compress into an .avi of whatever size I wish. It's been working for me that way for years with no problems, and the quality fits my needs for use on mobile devices.

moore.bryan
May 27th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Can you not simply copy the DVD to an ISO image file?
I don't know why I didn't think of this! Size may be an issue, though.

When converting a DVD to a Digital copy it would be best to copy the DVD to your hardrive first then use Handbrake to convert them to say mkv or mp4.
I've never had good luck with Handbrake in the past. For whatever reason, I seem to be bad luck...

I mostly use DVDFab in Wine to copy discs.
For some strange reason, Wine doesn't function well for me.

To rip and maintain a decent quality while conserving space I often use DVD Decrypter to rip movie, then use AutoGordian Knot to compress into an .avi of whatever size I wish. It's been working for me that way for years with no problems, and the quality fits my needs for use on mobile devices.
Are these in repo? I searched, but couldn't find them... never heard of AutoGordian Know either. Any links?

Thanks for the input so far, folks!