PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Installation crashes

akvt
May 27th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Hello.

I'm a first time user of xubuntu or any other linux derivative operating system and I was wondering if I could get some assistance on installing xubuntu 11.04 on my old laptop.

First, let me state the problem. When I downloaded the iso and burned it into a DVD+R, I inserted it into the machine and let it ran. It started well and I checked the disc's integrity before continuing with the installation and it passed that. Now, as I enter the installation screen, I select my language then click forward but the installer freezes for a few minutes and later disappears only to be replaced with an error message, "The installer encountered an unrecoverable error. A desktop session will now run so that you may investigate the problem or try installing again." and it does as it says and boots into a demo mode. I try installing again through the "Install Xubuntu.." link on the desktop but it follows the same problem.

Does anyone know what could be the problem and how I can fix it?

My laptop's specifications are as follows:
ACER TRAVELMATE 290
256 RAM (240 usable)
Intel Pentium M processor 1500 MHz 599 MHz
Video card: 64 MB internal Intel 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controller
Sound card: Realtek AC97 Audio

If you need more information on my machine, just tell me and I'll happily provide.

Thanks in advance!

Karlchen
May 27th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Hello, akvt.

To be honest I tend to assume the source of trouble is this:
256 RAM (240 usable) Although others in this forum tell that is should be possible I have never managed to install and run any Ubuntu version on a machine which had only 256 MB of RAM. Telling from the RAM usage which I see, I tend to assume that a realistic minimum value is 512 MB.

Kind regards,
Karl

akvt
May 27th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the reply, Karl.

That may be the problem but I thought Xubuntu was the version of Ubuntu that could run on low ended computers? Although I too seem to remember a caution saying that it's not recommended to install Xubuntu through a desktop installation on low ram. Perhaps I should try installing through the alternative installation? (I read there was alternative process on the download page of Xubuntu).

But in case that will too fail, do you know of any other ubuntu derivative that may run on my machine? I'm really eager to learn Ubuntu and I learn best through using it as opposed to just reading about it.

Thanks again!

Edit: I read the download page again and saw this

Minimum system requirements
You need 256 MB RAM to run the Live CD or 256 MB RAM to install. The Alternate Install CD only requires you to have 64 MB RAM at install time.

To install Xubuntu with the standard installer (Ubiquity), you need 4.4 GB of free space on your hard disk. The Alternate Install CD only requires you to have 2 GB of free space on your hard disk.

Once installed, Xubuntu can run with starting from 256 (or even just 192) MB RAM, but it is strongly recommended to have at least 512 MB RAM.

I'll go ahead and download the Alternative Install and see how that goes. Will report the result. Here's hoping it works.