PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] No hibernation option

beew
May 27th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Hi,
I am running Ubuntu 10.10. Install the package uswsusp. it complains that I don't have a swap partition for hibernation. But I do have a 4G swap partition. So what is it talking about? I checked power manager settings I have the shut down and suspend options but no hibernation. Tested that suspend apparently works.

Please advise, thanks.

beew
May 27th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Ok, it seems that the swap partition is disabled (swapoff) on reboot. Any solution to that?

Thanks.

beew
May 27th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Bump!

Prince Valiant
May 27th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Idea:

Install gparted, if you don't have it already.

sudo apt-get install gparted

Once you've opened that, navigate within it to your HD. Right-click on the swap partition, and select swap on.

Maybe that'll work. I assume you've got less than 4GB RAM?

Have fun!
-Val

beew
May 27th, 2011, 08:11 PM
Idea:

sudo apt-get install gpartedOnce you've opened that, navigate within it to your HD. Right-click on the swap partition, and select swap on.

Maybe that'll work. I assume you've got less than 4GB RAM?

Have fun!
-Val

I did that before, but swap is disabled again when I reboot.

dnairb
May 27th, 2011, 08:12 PM
It is not enough to merely turn swap on; you also need to check that your system is configured to actually use the swap partition.

First, check the UUID of the swap partition. In terminal:

sudo blkid

will give an output similar to this:

/dev/sda4: UUID="2b37da11-ad70-4ccb-b090-cec4822b788c" TYPE="swap"

Next, check 2 system files. Again, in terminal:

gksudo gedit /etc/fstab /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume

and check that the swap's UUID in each is the same as the output from blkid above.

psusi
May 27th, 2011, 08:19 PM

Code:

Please read threads before posting in them. This was already suggested and it wasn't appropriate then either.

dnairb
May 27th, 2011, 08:21 PM

Code:

Oh, for..... It is answers like this that clog up the forum with so much useless info, and turn people off asking for help.
This was already suggested merely 3 posts above yours, and in any case will not help the OP.

beew
May 27th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Hi dnairb

Here is the output for blkid (what does blkid mean??)

/dev/sda6: UUID="e876c000-8276-4ce1-b7a2-cb0a973e33c8" TYPE="swap"
On the other hand /etc/fstab /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume looks like this

# swap was on /dev/sda6 during installation
UUID=dd45a5df-44de-4d02-bf16-8e96a4caffe3 none swap sw 0 0

I have actually moved the swap partition after installed, maybe that caused the problem. How should I edit /etc/fstab /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume ?

Thanks.

dnairb
May 27th, 2011, 08:35 PM
You should have 2 files open now in gedit: /etc/fstab and /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume

beew
May 27th, 2011, 08:39 PM
You should have 2 files open now in gedit: /etc/fstab and /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume

Ok, sorry that was fstab above, resume looks like this

RESUME=UUID=dd45a5df-44de-4d02-bf16-8e96a4caffe3

dnairb
May 27th, 2011, 08:44 PM
OK.

The output from blkid gave us the actual UUID for the swap partition.
The 2 system files are looking for a partition with a different (non-existing) UUID, and hence swap is not being used.

You need to edit them thus:

change the lines in /etc/fstab to:

UUID=e876c000-8276-4ce1-b7a2-cb0a973e33c8 none swap sw 0 0

and in /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume:

RESUME=UUID=e876c000-8276-4ce1-b7a2-cb0a973e33c8

When you have edited and saved these files, reboot and all should be good.

beew
May 27th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Hi, following your instruction swap is actually activated on reboot.

But hibernation still doesn't work (the option does show up in power manager), when I try to awake the system from hibernation I see the purple splash screen with the ubuntu logo and 5 dots but it got stuck at 4 dots so I have to reboot it.

I have close to 3 G of ram but I have set swap to 4 G, maybe I should increase it to 6 G and then edit fstab and resume again?

Thanks again.

dnairb
May 27th, 2011, 09:09 PM
OK, just to check, can you check /etc/fstab and /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume again to ensure that the UUIDs are correct.

beew
May 27th, 2011, 09:17 PM
OK, just to check, can you check /etc/fstab and /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume again to ensure that the UUIDs are correct.

Hi, they all match.

dnairb
May 27th, 2011, 09:20 PM
OK.

That's as far as I can go with this I'm afraid. The swap is now working OK, but your machine won't wake from hibernate properly - I don't know how to fix this.

beew
May 27th, 2011, 09:22 PM
OK.

That's as far as I can go with this I'm afraid. The swap is now working OK, but your machine won't wake from hibernate properly - I don't know how to fix this.

Ok, this fine. But thanks for restoring the swap and teaching me something new. :)

P.S. Suspension, however, works flawlessly.

dnairb
May 27th, 2011, 09:34 PM
You're welcome.

Suspend and hibernate work in a similar way, except that suspend uses RAM memory and hibernate use the physical hard-disk swap space.

It may be an idea to mark this thread as "Solved" as the initial problem of hibernation/swap is solved.
You could then start a new thread entitled "Unable to wake from hibernate" for example, and give more detail as to hardware, etc. You may then find that other people with more knowledge pick up on this and are able to help.

QLee
May 27th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Try rebuilding your initrd.img with update-initramfs, it's that image that has the hook to your resume and it was written with the wrong swap UUID in the resume file, now that you have corrected, you need to do the update.

beew
May 27th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Try rebuilding your initrd.img with update-initramfs, it's that image that has the hook to your resume and it was written with the wrong swap UUID in the resume file, now that you have corrected, you need to do the update.

How do you do that? like run sudo update-initramfs?

beew
May 27th, 2011, 10:08 PM
You're welcome.

Suspend and hibernate work in a similar way, except that suspend uses RAM memory and hibernate use the physical hard-disk swap space.

It may be an idea to mark this thread as "Solved" as the initial problem of hibernation/swap is solved.
You could then start a new thread entitled "Unable to wake from hibernate" for example, and give more detail as to hardware, etc. You may then find that other people with more knowledge pick up on this and are able to help.

Hi, I think I am going to wait a bit before starting a new thread as the solution may be very close. But I will keep that in mind.

dnairb
May 27th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Hi, I think I am going to wait a bit before starting a new thread as the solution may be very close. But I will keep that in mind.

That's cool. Actually I think that QLee may be on to something. The command you need is:

sudo update-initramfs -u

Then reboot.

The "-u" option updates an existing initramfs file.

beew
May 27th, 2011, 10:39 PM
That's cool. Actually I think that QLee may be on to something. The command you need is:

sudo update-initramfs -uThen reboot.

The "-u" option updates an existing initramfs file.

Hi, I ran the command and got a warning

found more than one resume device candidate:
/dev/sda6
UUID=e876c000-8276-4ce1-b7a2-cb0a973e33c8

And when I tried to resume I was stuck but this time there is a message on the screen that says

Resuming from /dev/disk/by-uuid/e876c000-8276-4ce1-b7a2-cb0a973e33c8

So there is some progress.

P.S Thanks to QLee too.

dnairb
May 27th, 2011, 10:56 PM
OK. We need to check those files again.

Please post the full output of:

gksudo gedit /etc/fstab

and

gksudo gedit /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume

and

sudo blkid

beew
May 27th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Hi,

Here they are

~$ sudo blkid
/dev/sda1: UUID="F8ACBC29ACBBE074" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sda2: UUID="af9073f4-f16c-4285-8acc-01373932dbcc" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sda5: UUID="7e5b410b-27e1-43c6-98c7-2df2cbe8dbd5" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sda6: UUID="e876c000-8276-4ce1-b7a2-cb0a973e33c8" TYPE="swap"

fstab

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid -o value -s UUID' to print the universally unique identifier
# for a device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name
# devices that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
# / was on /dev/sda2 during installation
UUID=af9073f4-f16c-4285-8acc-01373932dbcc / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
# /home was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=7e5b410b-27e1-43c6-98c7-2df2cbe8dbd5 /home ext4 defaults 0 2
UUID=e876c000-8276-4ce1-b7a2-cb0a973e33c8 none swap sw 0 0

resme

RESUME=UUID=e876c000-8276-4ce1-b7a2-cb0a973e33c8

dnairb
May 28th, 2011, 08:32 AM
OK. Those files are all OK; there is another file to check it seems.

Can you check

gksudo gedit /etc/uswsusp.conf

which was created when you installed uswsusp

beew
May 28th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Hi,

Here it is

# /etc/uswsusp.conf(8) -- Configuration file for s2disk/s2both
resume device = /dev/sda6
compress = y
early writeout = y
image size = 1456011018
RSA key file = /etc/uswsusp.key
shutdown method = platform

dnairb
May 28th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Thank you.

The resume file is telling the system to resume from UUID=e876c000-8276-4ce1-b7a2-cb0a973e33c8 and the uswsusp.conf file says to use /dev/sda6. These are the same partitions, but the system reads as them as different.

Did hibernate work before you changed the swap file, I wonder? It may be that you don't actually need uswsusp.

beew
May 28th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Thank you.

The resume file is telling the system to resume from UUID=e876c000-8276-4ce1-b7a2-cb0a973e33c8 and the uswsusp.conf file says to use /dev/sda6. These are the same partitions, but the system reads as them as different.

Did hibernate work before you changed the swap file, I wonder? It may be that you don't actually need uswsusp.

I haven't really used hibernation before changing the swap partition (actually I was expanding my /home partition and had to change swap by moving it to the end). When I noticed that hibernation was missing in the power manager (I use suspend sometimes but not often).Then I installed the package "hibernation" and uswsusd was installed along with it, during install (still in Synaptic) it said I didn't have a swap partition. I found that pretty strange, which was what started this thread.

So is there a way to fix it? Thanks again for the patience.

dnairb
May 28th, 2011, 02:24 PM
OK.

We have 2 options available.

You can keep uswsusp installed, but change the /etc/uswsusp.conf file to use a disk identified by its UUID:

Change

resume device = /dev/sda6

to

resume device = /dev/disk/by-uuid/e876c000-8276-4ce1-b7a2-cb0a973e33c8

Another option is to remove hibernate and uswsusp. The easiest way is using terminal:

sudo apt-get purge hibernate uswsusp

The purge option should remove configuration files as well.

After this, check if the /etc/uswsusp.conf file has been removed.
If not, again in terminal

sudo rm /etc/uswsusp.conf

Whichever method you choose, rerun update-initramfs:

sudo update-initramfs -u

reboot, and cross your fingers!

beew
May 28th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Hi,

I removed uswsusp and hibernate and it worked! I just woke up from a hibernation. I tried this while on battery and on AC (initramfs was updated automatically when the packages were purged)

It is strange that I don't need the hibernate package for hibernation.

Many thanks for the walk through! I will mark this thread as solved.

dnairb
May 28th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Brilliant! You're welcome. Big thanks to QLee also for pointing out that the initramfs needed to be updated.

I believe that the hibernate and uswsusp applications are mainly for older systems. Hibernate and suspend on more modern systems should work out-of-the-box.

QLee
May 28th, 2011, 03:39 PM
... Big thanks to QLee also for pointing out that the initramfs needed to be updated.

That little hint was all you needed to get you moving again, beew is not a n00b and you clearly understand this stuff. Now you and all the lurkers may remember the issue for future troubleshooting.

One of the worst things about this issue is that if there was a kernel upgrade and a new initrd.img was generated by the configuration scripts then the problem would have disappeared as if by magic. It's much better that you figured it out.
[Edit] At least that would have happened if other hibernation software hadn't been installed before the problem of not hibernating was tracked down.