PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Banshee Won't Shut Down Properly

coljohnhannibalsmith
May 27th, 2011, 01:17 AM
Hello,

Whenever I close Banshee by clicking the 'x' in the upper left-hand corner; the player moves to the next track and keeps on playing, just without a GUI. I had this problem in Rhythmbox as well. I'm also having the same problem with Software Center.

It certainly looks like the UI/Window Manager is not always sending the application 'kill' signal to the running process. I'm currently using Gnome 2.x / Ubuntu Classic. I haven't tried this in Unity yet; but I suspect I will have the same problems there as well.

Has anyone else had this problem; and is there a work-around???

Thanks Hannibal

beew
May 27th, 2011, 01:42 AM
Yeah, that is an odd bug (design?), if you pause first and click the x it will shut down.

It used to be that you can click quit in the tray icon but there is no tray icon in Unity unless you whitelist the application.

coljohnhannibalsmith
May 29th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Yeah, that is an odd bug (design?), if you pause first and click the x it will shut down.

It used to be that you can click quit in the tray icon but there is no tray icon in Unity unless you whitelist the application.

Thanks for your reply,

Here's what I guess is happening. I think, based on the behavior I've observed, that the UI/Window manager 'is' probably sending "a" kill signal, but not the correct one with a high enough priority; so that the kill signal that gets sent get's interrupted by a process with a higher priority, and then just goes to sleep indefinitely. I think a way of checking this would be try it in a variety of window managers. That would either isolate the problem to a specific window manager; or point to the Linux kernel. I suspect this is not an Ubuntu problem per se... I've also read that historically the Linux kernel has been developed without the benefit of a versioning control system. I don't know if this is still the case; but if it is, it's a disaster waiting to happen....

Hannibal

pbhill
November 12th, 2011, 07:54 PM
I have been noticing a higher level of CPU activity than normal and I attribute it to Banshee running in the background. I have to "kill" Banshee in order to stop it.

achelis
December 12th, 2012, 11:06 PM
Did any of you find a fix for this ?

Or do I have to launch a terminal and do killall banshee everytime I want to close it :/

coljohnhannibalsmith
March 14th, 2013, 11:59 PM
Rythmbox has the same problem.

Hannibal

mc4man
March 15th, 2013, 01:54 AM
This threads a bit old, probably should of been closed.
Anyway this isn't an issue, purely design.

If you close the window (X) while playing, RB, Banshee window will exit but the app will continue on, accessible from thru sound menu
If you close the window (X) while paused the they will quit

To quit while playing only "Quit" from the app menu will actually do so (or Ctrl+q
"Quit" from the unity quicklist is mis-named, should be "Exit"

coljohnhannibalsmith
March 16th, 2013, 11:56 PM
Thanks,

I think I understand now.

Hannibal

oldos2er
March 17th, 2013, 04:51 AM
Old thread closed. Anyone who still has questions, please start a new thread.