PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Strange things happen with 11.4

rye37
May 27th, 2011, 12:33 AM
I'm new to Ubuntu. I started with 10.8. As i was getting started, 11.4 came out. I upgraded, and now I'm lost.
I had some of the problems others had,so i followed the instructions, and now it's worse.
Things flicker across my screen. I log in and the $prompt comes up, but I have no idea what to do.
I tried to open an Ubuntu One account, but I couldn't fill in the blanks..they kept flickering.
It's probably me, but I have no idea what to do.

tommcd
May 27th, 2011, 06:12 AM
I'm new to Ubuntu. I started with 10.8. As i was getting started, 11.4 came out. I upgraded, and now I'm lost.
I had some of the problems others had,so i followed the instructions, and now it's worse.

Without knowing what you did, it is difficult to diagnose this. If I were you I would cut my losses and do a clean install of Ubuntu 11.04. It takes only about 20 minutes. Then you need perhaps another hour or so (at the most) to get the updates and reinstall the programs you use.
I always do clean installs of Ubuntu; and I never have problems like this.
If you have a separate home partition, then all of your data will be safe. If you do not have a separate home partition, then this would be a good opportunity to create one.

Hedgehog1
May 27th, 2011, 06:12 AM
It is a little difficult to help with your issues without more information.

Did you upgrade from 10.10 to 11.04, or do a clean 11.04 install?

What Video Card do you have?

When you boot from the LiveCD/LiveUSB, is your Video OK? Was ti OK in 10.10 (I assume so, but you don't say).

If you would give us more detail, hopefully we can help.

The Hedge

:KS