PDA

View Full Version : Gnome3

shadowfax1
May 26th, 2011, 11:44 PM
With the onset of 'unity' I was glad to find out that the classic gnome desktop was just a couple of clicks away. This gnome 3 desktop kinda got my curiosity going and I'm glad I did. Very Kool...Still learning all the options and wondering how to add more themes. With multiple screens you can have alot of things going on.
The menu bar is kinda like 'unity' but not anywhere as annoying. Seems to me the unity developers should sit down with the gnome project....Sky's the limit!

NightwishFan
May 26th, 2011, 11:56 PM
Gnome3
Yes please.

jhonan
May 27th, 2011, 01:13 AM
Seems to me the unity developers should sit down with the gnome project....Sky's the limit!
They tried that already. There wasn't much love in the room.

IWantFroyo
May 27th, 2011, 01:18 AM
Unity and Gnome 3 are two very different things. I really don't see how they could merge anything...

Unity would frankly be better if they could put a workspace widget in the dashboard, but other than that, I don't think anyone would benefit.

shadowfax1
May 27th, 2011, 01:22 AM
I read somewhere that gnome would be eliminated from 11.10. Presumingly the gnome desktop could still be placed on the o/s

3Miro
May 27th, 2011, 01:30 AM
Gnome 3 will be included in 11.10 and you will be able to install Gnome-shell from the Software Center. No need to worry at all.

alphacrucis2
May 27th, 2011, 01:37 AM
I read somewhere that gnome would be eliminated from 11.10. Presumingly the gnome desktop could still be placed on the o/s

In 11.04, Unity is just a shell on top of gnome 2. In 11.10 there will be no gnome 2, hence they are migrating Unity to run on top of gnome 3. You will have a choice of running either the gnome 3 shell developed by gnome, or the unity shell developed by ubuntu. Both will run on top of gnome 3. As you might expect, Unity will be the default for Ubuntu.

shadowfax1
May 27th, 2011, 01:44 AM
With a different desktop such as gnome3 running on top of the 11.04 os do you think there's any impediment in performance?