PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] UBUNTU 11.04 Black Screen With Cursor

Sumstah
May 26th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Hi,

I have a laptop and my NVIDIA graphics card is no longer working, and I cannot use the laptop for normal windows operating system.
I tried UBUNTU test by making the cd and it worked perfectly and everything displayed fine. The made me think that I could install UBUNTU on my laptop and use it.
When i first tested, i was receiving an error saying "unexpected exit with status 0x0009" so I pressed F6 > chose "nomodeset" and then clicked "try UBUNTU without installing", and it worked perfectly.

I just installed UBUNTU 11.04 on my laptop and installation completed successfully. I installed it side by side with my Windows Vista installation.

Now when i click on UBUNTU at operating system screen, i get a black screen with a cursor in the top left hand corner. I can type things but nothing else happens.

I think it may be that it is trying to use my graphics card, I don’t want UBUNTU to use my graphics card and just display like it did when I did the test from the cd.

Please help.

Thank you.

Sumstah
May 26th, 2011, 11:48 PM
Hi,

I successfully logged in by pressing "e" at the boot option menu and then deleting "quiet splash" and typing nomodeset
this works however each time I turn the computer off I have to do the above steps.
Is there anyway I can just save those so that I don't have to do that each time.
Thanks

Sumstah
May 27th, 2011, 12:20 AM
Hi, I figured out how to do it.
It's working great :).
Thanks.

rdrgrtz
August 2nd, 2011, 07:41 PM
Hi, I figured out how to do it.
It's working great :).
Thanks.

Share! I have the same problem!

WallyJ2K
August 3rd, 2011, 04:07 AM
Seriously?

There are still people in the world who post a problem, which does not receive a posted solution, yet they post "Figured it out... Thanks!" with no solution shared.

Off with their heads!!!

:)

Anyone have a solution?

dannyboy79
November 3rd, 2011, 05:54 AM
Seriously?

There are still people in the world who post a problem, which does not receive a posted solution, yet they post "Figured it out... Thanks!" with no solution shared.

Off with their heads!!!

:)

Anyone have a solution?

a simple google search would have found you an answer. It's here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132
Although I do agree that it's frustrating to see someone post "I solved it" and not HOW they solved it is no better you coming here and making a sarcastic comment about it IMO.